Changing pitchers | Syracusefan.com

Changing pitchers

SWC75

Bored Historian
If I'm a batter my goal is to get into the other team's bullpen and have their manager play Russian Roulette with his relief pitchers: you never know what they are going to give you on a given night.

Tonight Terry Collins, an excellent manager, took out Johann Santana after he gives up a home run with 2 out in the 7th to reduce his lead to 3-2. Bobby Parnell comes in and looks sharp striking out a guy. Collins replaces him to start the 8th with Jon Rauch who got one out and gave up three hits. All the runners scored. Tim Byrdak came in and got one guy out. Then Collins went with DJ Carrasco and his 7.36 ERA. DJ got one out but gave up the 2 run homer that put the Reds up 6-3, whgich was the final score.

Pitchers, espcially ace pitchers, used to compelte games. Why not see if the homer Santana gave up was an anomoly and he might be able to go longer? Why not stay with Parnell, who looked so sharp? Why not stay with Byrdak? Why not let pitchers who are pitching well keep pitching?

But, no it's all a chess game. :confused:

DJ Carrasco already got shipped out. His Mets career was comical at best.

Staying too long with a starter ended Grady Little's career. I tend to trust managers on this one, but it is incredibly easy to second guess after seeing the outcome. More often than not, the manager is right. And if they're not, they don't stick around long. There are managers who are successful doing it both ways. Terry Francona was infamous for giving his starters a longer leash, while Joe Maddon makes more pitching changes than anyone I've ever seen. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

THIS WAS SO ANNOYING!!!!

I don't have much of an issue pulling Santana; pitchers did used to complete a lot of games, but A) they don't now, and B) Santana is coming off major surgery. He isn't going to throw a lot more than 110 pitches in a game, especially in May.

But Parnell comes in and strikes out a right handed batter. He's a better reliever than Rauch anyway (IMO, at least) and you have Votto looming to hit in the 8th. You want Byrdak, who is great against lefties, to face Votto, particularly in a one run game. So why not have Parnell start the 8th against Stubbs (another righty)? Collins claimed he wanted to hold Byrdak back to face Jay Bruce in a potential pinch hitting appearance, but even so, then why not let Parnell face Stubbs and Votto? So annoying.

Staying too long with a starter ended Grady Little's career. I tend to trust managers on this one, but it is incredibly easy to second guess after seeing the outcome.

Just for the record, for me, this was not a second guess.

I just wish Nolan Ryan was running the Mets. I very much like his old-fashioned approach.

I just wish Nolan Ryan was running the Mets. I very much like his old-fashioned approach.

I'm not too worried about the people the Mets have in charge, but I wouldn't mind having the Rangers pitching staff...

THIS WAS SO ANNOYING!!!!

I don't have much of an issue pulling Santana; pitchers did used to complete a lot of games, but A) they don't now, and B) Santana is coming off major surgery. He isn't going to throw a lot more than 110 pitches in a game, especially in May.

The major surgery point is valid but "they don't now" is not a reason for doing things and that's not what they are doing in Texas. Yes, Ryan has talent to work with but he's developed that talent the old fashioned way.

The major surgery point is valid but "they don't now" is not a reason for doing things and that's not what they are doing in Texas. Yes, Ryan has talent to work with but he's developed that talent the old fashioned way.

Well what i am saying is I don't think you take pitchers who are conditioned to throw 100-110 pitchers per start and then start asking them to throw 130 or something right away to get a complete game.

I do agree with the idea that starters could throw more innings. But Santana was not going to complete that game last night. I know Ryan has paid a lot of lipservice to that; I wonder if the evidence backs up he has had a significant impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom