Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

He has the stones to run with 22 and when he brings another title legendary status. Desko twitter making it happen.

Serious question: who gets the short stick next year. I’m guessing Cook (or whoever fills the third attack spot) and possibly Curry/Trimboli (both are deserving of a pole). I like those match ups against anyone.

Nice lil' update to twitter. Lovin' it. He's all orange!!!;);)

I've got to see more from Cook, am not sold on him yet. Hope he can take a BIG step up. Buttermore on attack (kid is real good and tough)?

Buttermore has developed nicely and is beyond deadly with time and room. However, he's about as strictly a midfielder as you can get. His best asset is long range shooting, that would be totally lost trying to play as an off-ball attackmen. I can't see any scenario where he would be moved to play attack. He's a pure middie, period.

Curry or Dordevic a more likely mid than Buttermore to drop down this year or next when Refhuss graduates. Hopefully Cook or another attackman steps up but could see some experimentation in fall.

Brendan Curry ’17, A, FCA Maryland / Calvert Hall (Md.) – Syracuse
The Baltimore native is an intelligent X attackman who takes care of the ball and can break down defenses by creating offense for himself and others in a variety of ways. FCA depended on Curry late in games and he always produced, displaying a knack for getting his hands free and delivering beautiful feeds to cutting teammates. In the quarterfinals, he relentlessly dodged to the cage and finished hard shots with either hand, showing his ability to take over a game by scoring three key goals that shifted momentum for his squad. Curry will be a key piece to the puzzle in his final year under coach Bryan Kelly as the Cardinals try to win an MIAA title for the first time in five years.

I find it somewhat disheartening that so many known quantities are being bandied about to switch positions, but no one has even suggested that it’s possible that one of the reserves — Berkman, Aburn, Seebold, Nelson — could make the leap.

How many of you even knew Sergio Salcido was on the roster before his junior year? I sure didn’t. I’m not saying any of those guys will suddenly become a two-time All-American, but progress and development are always a possibility, especially when combined with opportunity and confidence. Hopefully, the fall is full of that for everyone.

Probably true. And I'll never understand how that's a knock against the program.

I frankly don't care if the staff makes up for recruiting misses by being a top transfer destination.

Get top flight talent any way you can.
Agreed. It shows that players realize, once they mature a little, that SU is where they want to be.

I find it somewhat disheartening that so many known quantities are being bandied about to switch positions, but no one has even suggested that it’s possible that one of the reserves — Berkman, Aburn, Seebold, Nelson — could make the leap.

How many of you even knew Sergio Salcido was on the roster before his junior year? I sure didn’t. I’m not saying any of those guys will suddenly become a two-time All-American, but progress and development are always a possibility, especially when combined with opportunity and confidence. Hopefully, the fall is full of that for everyone.
Daniello came on in his junior & senior years also.

After the acquisition of Chase Scanlon, I started thinking about the transfers that SU lax has added which have produced the most in their time in the Dome.

Tim Nelson (The OG of Lax transfers; there may be many others that I am forgetting from the 1980s and 1990s; can’t say I followed recruiting and player acquistions as closely at that point of my life).

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?

SU lately has played 4-5 attackmen in every game. I wouldn't expect that to change a whole lot with Scanlan coming in. My prediction for top 5 is Rehfuss, Scanlan, Cook, Seebold and ______________. I really don't know for the 5th player. Rehfuss is a senior and Seebold a junior, so their departures will make room for some you mentioned, and that includes incoming freshmen.

It looks like a bit of a log jam at attack though, especially with 3 recruits coming in this year and Hay, Ferris and Erlbeck coming in the year after. I wouldn't be surprised by a couple transfers out.

After the acquisition of Chase Scanlon, I started thinking about the transfers that SU lax has added which have produced the most in their time in the Dome.

Tim Nelson (The OG of Lax transfers; there may be many others that I am forgetting from the 1980s and 1990s; can’t say I followed recruiting and player acquistions as closely at that point of my life).

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?
On offense, Kevin Dougherty, Brian Crockett attended Gordon College for one semester, the OCC guys if you want to include JC transfers (Jamieson, Staats, Barber, Pratt), Scott Kahoe

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?

John Lade

Rehfuss and Scanlan are the two locks at attack. After that, I expect to see a mix of Cook, Seebold and Berkman rotating until you get the third guy that can produce consistently with those two. I do not see anybody bumping down from what has to be one of the top 3 first mid lines in D1 (Dordo, Curry, Trimbo). That's some scary stuff right there. If we can get one of the young guys to consistently bring it on attack, this has the makings of an offensive juggernaut.

A few quick thoughts on your post

Salcido was on the radar before his Jr year break out, Staff hyped him up a lot his Soph year but it just didn't translate and he struggled with turnovers. He was to fast for the game so to speak, next year everything slowed down and he broke out.

As for some of the other names you mentioned there is definitely some potential there but you have to evaluate on an individual basis.

Nelson is a smaller attackmen in the mold of Cook who has shown some flashes when giving PT. That said he is going to be a Sr and is solidly behind Cook. It's hard to see him seeing any meaningful minutes this year outside of lopsided games unless there are major injuries.

Berkman is the one with the highest ceiling based on his HS exploits. It appears he may have RS this year despite SU indicating he played in a few games. He is a QB type of attackmen ala Rice. His best chance for PT will be the following year once Rehfuss has graduated and that X attack spot opens up. I mean he could make a move this year but with Scanlan now on board and the staff real high on Cook it will be hard to breakthrough.

Aburn is an off ball guy who like Nelson looked good in limited PT. He could challenge for the 3rd or 4th attack spot and I don't think anyone is writing him off. That said there is going to be a lot of competition and at SU its very easy to get recruited over. I think Aburn has potential but he's going to have to really make himself standout in the fall. I think hes a 50/50 guy on transferring out especially with a highly regarded crease attackmen from IMG on his way this fall as well.

As for Seebold the jury is still out but the early returns haven't been promising. He's gotten 1 or 2 runs a game over the last few seasons with not a lot to show for it. I think the staff gave him a real chance to show what he had in the pre-season scrimmages last year and he struggled to make an impact (at least on the score sheet). With what SU has lined up at attack in 2020 and the possibility of them moving a guy like Levandowski to attack based on the midfield being loaded I think Seebold is the most likely guy to transfer out between now and the start of the 2020 season. That said he still has a shot to take that next step as SU definitely will play at least 4 attackmen regulary but with Scanlan here now and 2+ attackmen on the way in the fall plus Berkman off a shirt, it's going to take a herculean effort on his part.

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?

Randy Staats
Cody Jameson
Sid Smith
A close D guy in the late 2000's era whose name escapes me
Yevoli form UVA and a few others I am sure including a few goalies the last decade who saw PT.