Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

John Lade on defense was a huge addition.

Yes Lade, thats who I couldn't remember in my post. Very underrated player. Got lost a bit with Joel White and Sid Smith around.

After the acquisition of Chase Scanlon, I started thinking about the transfers that SU lax has added which have produced the most in their time in the Dome.

Tim Nelson (The OG of Lax transfers; there may be many others that I am forgetting from the 1980s and 1990s; can’t say I followed recruiting and player acquistions as closely at that point of my life).

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?
Dom Lamolinara started 30/32 games in goal his Jr. & Sr. years after transferring from Maryland. Split time his Sr. year with Wardwell playing most 2nd halfs.

Also, Warren Hill from OCC.

After the acquisition of Chase Scanlon, I started thinking about the transfers that SU lax has added which have produced the most in their time in the Dome.

Tim Nelson (The OG of Lax transfers; there may be many others that I am forgetting from the 1980s and 1990s; can’t say I followed recruiting and player acquistions as closely at that point of my life).

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?

Ryan Cummings transferred home from Hopkins and played SSDM on the 95 title team.

I find it somewhat disheartening that so many known quantities are being bandied about to switch positions, but no one has even suggested that it’s possible that one of the reserves — Berkman, Aburn, Seebold, Nelson — could make the leap.

How many of you even knew Sergio Salcido was on the roster before his junior year? I sure didn’t. I’m not saying any of those guys will suddenly become a two-time All-American, but progress and development are always a possibility, especially when combined with opportunity and confidence. Hopefully, the fall is full of that for everyone.
True that players evolve, improve and emerge and very few should be discounted , those young attack candidates you mention and their various abilities and potential have been discussed including Hill and Nelson. Each have merits and book is open. What also is true is that there is a surplus of good young middy talent behind the known commodities and you want to explore all possibilities in the fall to unearth what combos work best , where the best synergies are , how to get the best talent on the field. If a player like Curry shows to be one of your best three attackman and a young mid currently on bench shows to be one of your best players then you consider shifts if it means putting your best team on field.

Very interested to see what the coaching staff does with the offense this spring. Lots of talent and lots of different ways to pair them. I like the fact that it's been established Scanlan will play attack. Obvioiusly he could always move back but I think it makes sense to have on the field full time, and I don't think he would avoid the long stick even if he played midfield. The more time Scanlan has to process the move the better.

That obviously leaves the third attack spot as the biggest question. I feel like Desko gave Cook so much playing time last year in preparation for him making big contributions in 2020. But Cook gives me a lot of pause after last year. Dordevic and Curry could both move down (my preference would be Dordevic), and you would have an incredibly good starting six. But is converting two midfielders to attack a bridge too far for Desko? Also, being able to keep both Lipka and Buttermore on your second line would bring unmatched depth.

Again, it probably depends a lot on which unit looks better when they return in the fall. If Desko thinks the Kim twins, or Magnan or another midfielder is ready to play an bigger role, more than say Cook or Berkman or Seebold, he might want to move another middie down. It will be fascinating to watch play out. I like that the Orange have lots of options, but also think it would be great for them to establish roles as early as possible for chemistry's sake.

We got a glimpse of Seebold's talent on his Hobart goal. It's there, it's not imagined, just gotta pop.

Very interested to see what the coaching staff does with the offense this spring. Lots of talent and lots of different ways to pair them. I like the fact that it's been established Scanlan will play attack. Obvioiusly he could always move back but I think it makes sense to have on the field full time, and I don't think he would avoid the long stick even if he played midfield. The more time Scanlan has to process the move the better.

That obviously leaves the third attack spot as the biggest question. I feel like Desko gave Cook so much playing time last year in preparation for him making big contributions in 2020. But Cook gives me a lot of pause after last year. Dordevic and Curry could both move down (my preference would be Dordevic), and you would have an incredibly good starting six. But is converting two midfielders to attack a bridge too far for Desko? Also, being able to keep both Lipka and Buttermore on your second line would bring unmatched depth.

Again, it probably depends a lot on which unit looks better when they return in the fall. If Desko thinks the Kim twins, or Magnan or another midfielder is ready to play an bigger role, more than say Cook or Berkman or Seebold, he might want to move another middie down. It will be fascinating to watch play out. I like that the Orange have lots of options, but also think it would be great for them to establish roles as early as possible for chemistry's sake.
Fiorini and Kims are big, strong horses with skills. Not cracking first line but second line should be huge advantage for us

A few quick thoughts on your post

Salcido was on the radar before his Jr year break out, Staff hyped him up a lot his Soph year but it just didn't translate and he struggled with turnovers. He was to fast for the game so to speak, next year everything slowed down and he broke out.

As for some of the other names you mentioned there is definitely some potential there but you have to evaluate on an individual basis.

Nelson is a smaller attackmen in the mold of Cook who has shown some flashes when giving PT. That said he is going to be a Sr and is solidly behind Cook. It's hard to see him seeing any meaningful minutes this year outside of lopsided games unless there are major injuries.

Berkman is the one with the highest ceiling based on his HS exploits. It appears he may have RS this year despite SU indicating he played in a few games. He is a QB type of attackmen ala Rice. His best chance for PT will be the following year once Rehfuss has graduated and that X attack spot opens up. I mean he could make a move this year but with Scanlan now on board and the staff real high on Cook it will be hard to breakthrough.

Aburn is an off ball guy who like Nelson looked good in limited PT. He could challenge for the 3rd or 4th attack spot and I don't think anyone is writing him off. That said there is going to be a lot of competition and at SU its very easy to get recruited over. I think Aburn has potential but he's going to have to really make himself standout in the fall. I think hes a 50/50 guy on transferring out especially with a highly regarded crease attackmen from IMG on his way this fall as well.

As for Seebold the jury is still out but the early returns haven't been promising. He's gotten 1 or 2 runs a game over the last few seasons with not a lot to show for it. I think the staff gave him a real chance to show what he had in the pre-season scrimmages last year and he struggled to make an impact (at least on the score sheet). With what SU has lined up at attack in 2020 and the possibility of them moving a guy like Levandowski to attack based on the midfield being loaded I think Seebold is the most likely guy to transfer out between now and the start of the 2020 season. That said he still has a shot to take that next step as SU definitely will play at least 4 attackmen regulary but with Scanlan here now and 2+ attackmen on the way in the fall plus Berkman off a shirt, it's going to take a herculean effort on his part.
What about the recent ‘19 commit Wood, what are your thoughts on him? I haven’t seen him in a game and have pretty limited knowledge of him, but his highlight tape looks pretty good. The people who have talked about him have had some good things to say but it’s obviously tough to project

Fiorini and Kims are big, strong horses with skills. Not cracking first line but second line should be huge advantage for us
Or they could move one of them to be a shorty ala Dearth (two-way).

...And...reports from teammates are that the Kim's are ridiculously talented...the difference a day makes...
Now the question becomes...how do we put this puzzle together.?...a lot of pieces that need to fit together the right way to optimize...world class problem to have! Is it February yet?

Lol, my bad. It was a beauty. In my view, he is tantalizing. So close yet so far. A mobile big target with talent.

Just too slow IMO. Not quite big enough to impose his will on smaller defenders. Cook at least had some success dodging against long poles last year. Haven't seen Seebold do anything close to that.

What about the recent ‘19 commit Wood, what are your thoughts on him? I haven’t seen him in a game and have pretty limited knowledge of him, but his highlight tape looks pretty good. The people who have talked about him have had some good things to say but it’s obviously tough to project

Wood from what I know is also a QB type attackmen who could fill Rehfuss's spot one he graduates or if there is an injury etc. I think he could challenge for that third spot but from everything I know Cook will be given the first chance and the staff expects him to be the guy. SU will definitely play 4 attackmen though so he could challenge for PT early if he stands out in fall ball and pre-season. You would think a RS would be the most likely outcome but like you said you never know, he could force the staffs hand.

...And...reports from teammates are that the Kim's are ridiculously talented...the difference a day makes...
Now the question becomes...how do we put this puzzle together.?...a lot of pieces that need to fit together the right way to optimize...world class problem to have! Is it February yet?

I expect at least one of the Kim's will be moved to SSDM to help once Dearth and Helmer graduate. I don't think both project as Middies over the long haul.

Dieball has shown potential at ssdm. Think position is a team strength this year and can be beyond with prep

Some may shift but Dearth, Helmer, Dami, Barlow, Murphy, Smart, Dieball is a deep unit to draw from

Dieball has shown potential at ssdm. Think position is a team strength this year and can be beyond with prep

Some may shift but Dearth, Helmer, Dami, Barlow, Murphy, Smart, Dieball is a deep unit to draw from
Is Dami eligible?

So thrilled about this. Lots of work to do and a few guys that need to take the next step, but wow is this refreshing. Hopefully it will help patch up whatever issue there was between Native players and the staff too. Having a Native wear 22 could be a huge deal in their communities.

So thrilled about this. Lots of work to do and a few guys that need to take the next step, but wow is this refreshing. Hopefully it will help patch up whatever issue there was between Native players and the staff too. Having a Native wear 22 could be a huge deal in their communities.

I know i'm reaching here but it's believed that Tahoka Nanticoke is unhappy at Albany...any chance he transfers to Cuse now that we've locked up Scanlan??

I know it's a pipe dream but a guy can dream right??

He was right about the Chase Scanlan news a couple weeks ago. Lets see if this prediction comes true as well :)