Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

Which further proves my point that these coaches don't know what their doing when it comes to recruiting in todays age. As for the better academics argument-- I think that is complete hogwash. Syracuse is a pretty darn good university for academics and nearly every student on the lacrosse team lands pretty good jobs after graduating. That's not even to mention the fact he would be getting a Syracuse education for FREE. If he decides to go anywhere other than Syracuse good on him, but that would basically be saying he would rather be in debt coming out of college than come here free of cost. And that would lead me to believe he does not like our staff.

You think Scanlan paid to attend IMG?

You think he paid to attend Loyola?

You think Scanlan paid to attend IMG?

You think he paid to attend Loyola?
IMG-- no. Loyola-- who knows. If he's looking to transfer to ACC/B1G schools he won't be getting a free ride. From my knowledge, in D1 lacrosse the scholarships are split up amongst certain players, correct??

IMG-- no. Loyola-- who knows. If he's looking to transfer to ACC/B1G schools he won't be getting a free ride. From my knowledge, in D1 lacrosse the scholarships are split up amongst certain players, correct??

The coach has 12.6 scholarships to split up at his discretion. Some players get full rides.

Yep $$$. Big revenue from tv deals given viewership, ticket n merchandizing sales, parking etc etc Believe average for all D1 FBS was 42k. Alabama home attendance averages over 100k, reason they pay Saban over $8 mil a year . Cuse lax is at top or close to top in attendance but talking about just over 4k. Some other D1 lax programs draw just a few hundred fans.

There is hope. Lax participation, viewership and coverage is growing while many other college sports have tapered off

Probably not great for SU that he's looking at UVA, his cousin is Zedd Williams, who of course played for the Wahoos. He would easily replace Conrad's scoring. Also he would fill a big need for UMD. I think SU's best chance is if he is home sick, which, it doesn't sound like.

UVA is not a blue collar type of locker room and his role and fit on that team would not be as significant or tailored as Cuse. Conrad and him are completely different players and that program is invested in some risers and incomers who are expecting p/t.

Know Im biased but Cuse is the right spot for him from so many angles. Be a seamless transition from day one, be embraced and comfortable here with total support , have a prominent role and tailored fit under a respected and likable offensive coordinator and be apprreciated by a large fan base.

Probably not great for SU that he's looking at UVA, his cousin is Zedd Williams, who of course played for the Wahoos. He would easily replace Conrad's scoring. Also he would fill a big need for UMD. I think SU's best chance is if he is home sick, which, it doesn't sound like.

There is always the money problem.
Maryland is bringing in a big recruiting class, including adding N.DeMaio and Palonetti in December. I am guessing at that time Tillman promised all his scholarship money.
Since that time, Wichelns left the team in January, and Avanzato just transferred out recently, opening up some funds, but the Terps signed Ubriaco. So I have doubts about whether Tillman can find more than a 1/2 scholarship.

Virginia is pulling in some big recruits also, and I have noticed anyone transferring out, so I doubt that Tiffany has much Scholarship money to offer.

If Scanlon lacks finances like the Brattons did and can get a need-based scholarship, that would change things.

Whew. Finally we actually made one of these lists. These player-tells-reputable-lacrosse-news-organization updates are the only ones I am not completely skeptical of. Going off of actually quality of the lacrosse teams it is fair to put us as at least neck and neck with Cornell and Hopkins. I would argue we are better but have obvious biases. They both have openings for him in their offenses but our defense/midfield are stronger than both of theirs, which helps our case.

MD did not look as dominant last year as previous seasons and we actually looked just as good as them last year IMO. Their overall more consistent tournament success in recent years still probably puts them ahead of us in terms of quality going forward (at least that is what I would think about as a prospective recruit). Besides the money/recruiting class size concerns Zach80 mentioned, one advantage for us is that their attack line seems to be firmly set in stone for next year, and Scanlan may be looking to play some attack, which would go well with his skill set.

UVA and Penn St. deserve to be 1 and 2 in next years rankings and they lose almost nobody. No argument about us being a more quality option there, although we did play a game that truly looked evenly matched against UVA in the regular season. Penn St. is so insanely stacked on offense they honestly might not even have room for him, but they did just lose their highest point producing middie, and will want to ease the pain of losing O'keefe and Ament leaving after next season. UVA in a similar boat losing Conrad and wanting to reload when Kraus and Aitken leave. Our best bet for these two is that there may simply be no room at the inn.

My gut is telling me to be mainly scared of Cornell and UVA, but I really have no idea. Hopefully our stacked middie lines are not a turn off, but we certainly have a promising team coming back next year. The IMG guys we have/ him playing with Staats and the Bomberrys for Iroquois Nationals (and most likely other off season lax things) are pluses. Albany off the list is a plus. The fact we are in the top six is a great sign. He didn't completely write us off due to any weirdness with previously decommitting. Hopefully that puts rumors to rest about him decommitting due to us not caring about him/him having a problem with rumors of the treatment of Native Americans at cuse. If those were legitimate concerns of his you would think he wouldn't consider us this time around either. But that is all just guesswork on my part.

If he is going to choose a school based on relationships with other players, I would say it is in between Hopkins and Syracuse. He also follows at least 10 Cuse players on Instagram and seems pretty close to the Bomberry's. I think we could stand a good chance at him to say the least.

If he is going to choose a school based on relationships with other players, I would say it is in between Hopkins and Syracuse. He also follows at least 10 Cuse players on Instagram and seems pretty close to the Bomberry's. I think we could stand a good chance at him to say the least.

Just curious what players on Hopkins does he know? Former IMG academy guys? Thanks for the info!

I do not know anything about the young man but if he is seeking a more blue collared locker room then neither UVA, JHU or Cornell is it as they are just as blue blooded as Loyola.

You want a transfer to be the last one so go where you are most certain of being content and comfortable.

Sometimes your first choice was the right choice from the start. Syracuse offers many different faces and a myriad of backgrounds but they all seem to come together. Most students enjoy their time here.

As a fan, he would help us and it would also be enjoyable to watch his talent. I believe Syracuse would be a good fit and hope he chooses to come here.

Mart just graduated though right?

Yes and I think Jake Fox will graduate too, but it is still relevant if they know each other and Scanlan has them in his ear for Hopkins in some way. I also think it is a plus that Scanlan knows the Bomberrys despite both of them having gradated. It just makes a place seem more likeable if you had friends or acquaintances go there and have good experiences.

Mart just graduated though right?
He's also friends with Tinney. But yeah, Marr, Tinney and Fox already graduated. He's friends with at least 14+ future/current players/Alum. Not including Regy Thorpe, and the Jimmerson sisters who play(ed) on the womens team and also from Irving, NY. I have no clue what he will do, but if its based off of relationships and how many people that could be urging him to come to 'cuse I feel pretty good. I feel like we at least have a shot. UVA - they dont need him as they return nearly everyone and the amount of talent their bringing in. Getting him would only be a plus. Syracuse, Maryland and Hopkins would make the most sense as their offenses need a star attackmen.

I'm just gonna drop this right here...

Scanlan says that he’s focusing on four or five schools: Virginia, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Cornell, although Syracuse is also in the picture, offering him the storied No. 22 jersey.
According to Scanlan, it’s an option largely due to the Syracuse University’s Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship for Native Americans, which would fully cover tuition and other costs.
Other programs have been more of a focus, Scanlan says, calling Virginia his "front-runner" late last week.
Coach Lars Tiffany was an assistant on the Iroquois team at the most recent World Games in Israel, while former Wahoo standout Zed Williams is Scanlan’s cousin, so the connections run deep.
Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Penn State are viable options in the Big 10, though any visits have to be sorted out in accordance with Scanlan’s schedule with the Six Nations Jr. A box team. At least one college coach has plans to watch him play box this week while in Canada, with others having stopped by the box arenas since Scanlan entered the portal.
On Monday, Scanlan went to Cornell to figure out specifics on whether or not he can get a waiver through the Haudenosaunee program, given that the Ivy admissions deadline has passed. He did not meet with the coaching staff while in Ithaca.
“Right now, I’m open to going anywhere as long as I’m getting educated. The lacrosse part is awesome, but I want to use my education to help others down the road,” said Scanlan, who was on a path to major in communications while at Loyola. “A lot of great programs have been very welcoming, and at the end of the day, I’m competitive and want to win like anybody else.”
Scanlan says he hopes to come to a final decision in the next week or so.

Scanlan says that he’s focusing on four or five schools: Virginia, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Cornell, although Syracuse is also in the picture, offering him the storied No. 22 jersey.
According to Scanlan, it’s an option largely due to the Syracuse University’s Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship for Native Americans, which would fully cover tuition and other costs.
Other programs have been more of a focus, Scanlan says, calling Virginia his "front-runner" late last week.
Coach Lars Tiffany was an assistant on the Iroquois team at the most recent World Games in Israel, while former Wahoo standout Zed Williams is Scanlan’s cousin, so the connections run deep.
Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Penn State are viable options in the Big 10, though any visits have to be sorted out in accordance with Scanlan’s schedule with the Six Nations Jr. A box team. At least one college coach has plans to watch him play box this week while in Canada, with others having stopped by the box arenas since Scanlan entered the portal.
On Monday, Scanlan went to Cornell to figure out specifics on whether or not he can get a waiver through the Haudenosaunee program, given that the Ivy admissions deadline has passed. He did not meet with the coaching staff while in Ithaca.
“Right now, I’m open to going anywhere as long as I’m getting educated. The lacrosse part is awesome, but I want to use my education to help others down the road,” said Scanlan, who was on a path to major in communications while at Loyola. “A lot of great programs have been very welcoming, and at the end of the day, I’m competitive and want to win like anybody else.”
Scanlan says he hopes to come to a final decision in the next week or so.
That 22 is getting a lot of work this summer. What are the odds Desko is traveling to Canada to watch a box game this weekend?