Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

That 22 is getting a lot of work this summer. What are the odds Desko is traveling to Canada to watch a box game this weekend?

Not to be that guy but that was a brutal article from a syracuse perspective. Pretty much an afterthought. I know it's not popular opinion especially on here but it's another sign the program has slipped down a rung.

That 22 is getting a lot of work this summer. What are the odds Desko is traveling to Canada to watch a box game this weekend?
I’d have to guess that it would be Milliman from Cornell, just a guess though

S.I. School of Public Communications is about as good as it gets in the field of journalism and communications. This is an academic strength and one that has delivered national platforms .

Kevin Hill and Jeremy Bomberry are teammates of Chase on the Six Nations Arrows. This is the right situation for him at the right time , with him a Chip is possible , hopefully he is talking to Brendan and Tyson as well as others

Agree with you JC. Syracuse only on the list because it would be a free ride, not because of the atmosphere, knowledgeable coaches, being closer to home, or even playing with guys he knows. And if finances were really an issue, then it must have been something really off putting for him to pass on a free ride the first time around. Unfortunately the coaches have burned bridges in some form and I don't think we get to see Scanlan suit up for SU.

Agree with you JC. Syracuse only on the list because it would be a free ride, not because of the atmosphere, knowledgeable coaches, being closer to home, or even playing with guys he knows. And if finances were really an issue, then it must have been something really off putting for him to pass on a free ride the first time around. Unfortunately the coaches have burned bridges in some form and I don't think we get to see Scanlan suit up for SU.

Based on that article it seems highly unlikely. Not going to totally right it off but that was a very discouraging article. Getting harder to see how a staff shakeup or HC change isnt in the near future barring a very deep tourney run.

When you consider all the variables, Cuse is the right move ..don’t have a great feeling about it based on recent history ..but it checks all the boxes - key role, shot at NC, promise scholarship, close to home , great education, restore winningest program to greatness , role of 22 etc etc...We need a good bounce!!

Maryland has a star attackman.
Forgot he was only a junior--my bad. Either way, Maryland only has about 5 guys putting up significant points, they could use another.

Will say it doesn’t look good. Sounds like SU is more of an afterthought. Have to think that for SU to pull through it will have to come down to money. Too bad, I would think Syracuse would be a good fit but some guys just want to pave their own path. He just may not want to do what everyone expects him to do.

Does anyone know how the financing would work for a transfer? Do coaches move money from other kids? Does the transfer usually not expect to receive any aid? Would have to think that most scholarship money is spoken for at most schools at this point. Unless he qualifies for financial aid, but he’d still have to pay for everything else. Probably not great that we are crossing our fingers hoping the other schools are out of money.

If Scanlan goes somewhere else, it feels like they should just give out 22 like any other number, to have two players pass on it feels a bit embarrassing. Hope it all works out but I’d be very surprised after reading that article.

Forgot he was only a junior--my bad. Either way, Maryland only has about 5 guys putting up significant points, they could use another.
Virginia could use another guy putting up points, just about as much. They have 4 established scorers returning: Moore, Kraus, Laviano, and Aitken.

Virginia could use another guy putting up points, just about as much. They have 4 established scorers returning: Moore, Kraus, Laviano, and Aitken.
Dont see a good fit at UVA on or off field. They have a bevy of 4 stars who have been waiting for their turn and some 5 star kids in Shellenberger and Cormier who are slated to hit the field. I do not see him creating a path there but rather being a secondary option with his talents somewhat marginalized . He'd play a more prominent role here and could be a difference maker in our fortunes. Cuse beat JHU, Cornell and should have beat UVA and most everyone is back except at attack which could be filled by him or Dordevic. Lax , academic major, lockerroom, finances, makeup of locale are all supportive factors.

I think Chase will most likely land at Virginia or Cornell. If he lands at Virginia I wouldn’t be surprised to see another player or two transfer from Virginia. There’s a ton of guys on that team that are close to breaking through and getting playing time that won’t if he transfers in.

I think Chase will most likely land at Virginia or Cornell. If he lands at Virginia I wouldn’t be surprised to see another player or two transfer from Virginia. There’s a ton of guys on that team that are close to breaking through and getting playing time that won’t if he transfers in.

Agreed, especially about the UVA transfers. Unfortunately we wont be able to take advantage with them being a fellow ACC school.

Will say it doesn’t look good. Sounds like SU is more of an afterthought. Have to think that for SU to pull through it will have to come down to money. Too bad, I would think Syracuse would be a good fit but some guys just want to pave their own path. He just may not want to do what everyone expects him to do.

Does anyone know how the financing would work for a transfer? Do coaches move money from other kids? Does the transfer usually not expect to receive any aid? Would have to think that most scholarship money is spoken for at most schools at this point. Unless he qualifies for financial aid, but he’d still have to pay for everything else. Probably not great that we are crossing our fingers hoping the other schools are out of money.

If Scanlan goes somewhere else, it feels like they should just give out 22 like any other number, to have two players pass on it feels a bit embarrassing. Hope it all works out but I’d be very surprised after reading that article.

If I were the coaching staff and I read the article on IL.com today, I'd be scared too but its also an opportunity. Frame the #22 jersey as a platform. Wearing the #22 brings a lot of spotlight and attention - both on the field and in front of a camera, which would allow Chase to elevate his voice. This young man has some big goals and helping his family and friends back home feels very important to him. The more media time he gets, not just nationally, but locally would help him further his own cause. What Lyle and Miles did, along with Ty, at Albany was incredible and far reaching - so much so that the NYT did a real nice piece. The local screen time that they received was amazing and no doubt helped further their careers - both on the field and off the field. In my opinion, #22 would be like giving him a megaphone; like giving #44 to someone on the football side. The attention would give him the platform he's looking for it seems. The pressure comes too, but so far he's passed that test.

If I were the coaching staff and I read the article on IL.com today, I'd be scared too but its also an opportunity. Frame the #22 jersey as a platform. Wearing the #22 brings a lot of spotlight and attention - both on the field and in front of a camera, which would allow Chase to elevate his voice. This young man has some big goals and helping his family and friends back home feels very important to him. The more media time he gets, not just nationally, but locally would help him further his own cause. What Lyle and Miles did, along with Ty, at Albany was incredible and far reaching - so much so that the NYT did a real nice piece. The local screen time that they received was amazing and no doubt helped further their careers - both on the field and off the field. In my opinion, #22 would be like giving him a megaphone; like giving #44 to someone on the football side. The attention would give him the platform he's looking for it seems. The pressure comes too, but so far he's passed that test.

There in a catch 22 because they held 22 back to use it for a special player and the two we have allegedly offered it to have been indifferent to it at best. Right now we have bigger issues then who wears 22 as the Gray and now Scanlan transfers are going. Staff has their work cut out for them in a massive way

Last edited:
Im sure that new wave Lars is much more engaging in an initial meeting than Desko but Cuse makes much more sense once one sits backs after the fluff and weighs best fits.

The article touched on Chase's family dynamics and they are a large family with 8 siblings including a 1 year old. Hard to imagine he wouldn't qualify for need-based aid anywhere. Michael Bloomberg recently gifted Hopkins $1.8B for low and middle-income scholarships. It wouldn't surprise me if the powers that be put together a package outside of allotted NCAA scholarships to rival SU especially for their only D1 sport.

In the age of super-teams in professional basketball, I don't know roster depth is as much of a mitigating factor and we have midfield depth objectively. Chase definitely benefited numbers wise playing with Spencer, who was also his best friend on the team evidently and now gone. The decision to transfer doesn't appear to be speared by on-field issues, but I wonder how schools like UVA, JHU and Cornell would be different off-field including lax teammates and the student population overall. I imagine he's relying on his cousin's recent UVA experience if they are a front-runner.

Under the TSN tweet from last week, a Scott Scanlan posted a screenshot of a text from a fellow Loyola freshman after the announcement was made who agreed with Chase about how he was treated from a locker room perspective. The tweet captioned along the lines of "this is why he's transferring", but it was also deleted the next day when I was going to screenshot it. In this Inside Lacrosse piece, Chase clarified his statements to absolve coaches, but not teammates so it's safe to say he had a hard time fitting in outside the lax field. I would have thought Albany would be in the running with their stronger Native American makeup plus Marr was also a coach for the Iroquois (and assuming Nanticoke stays he could play with him for two seasons).

Some dude is saying Scanlan to cuse is done deal due to the fact that he was in the dome for 4 hours today. Pretty sure the dude is trolling hard but thought I’d share.
Came from the college lax discussion Facebook page. View attachment 167064
I pray to God that this is true!!!

Some dude is saying Scanlan to cuse is done deal due to the fact that he was in the dome for 4 hours today. Pretty sure the dude is trolling hard but thought I’d share.
Came from the college lax discussion Facebook page. View attachment 167064

Ya I wouldn't read much into that at all, no way of knowing if any of that true. The lunch comment is bizarrely specific though so hopefully hes right.

Last edited:
There in a catch 22 because they held 22 back to use it for a special player and the two we have allegedly offered it to have been indifferent to it at best. Right now we have bigger issues then who wears 22 as the Gray and now Scanlan transfers are going. Staff has their work cut out for them in a massive way

Yes, I agree that offering it to two people diminishes the value of the gesture; keeping it off the shelf has diminished the value as well in my opinion. I also agree that getting transfers in is a band-aid fix to a real issue that the program has of late, recruiting.

Instead of saying "Come play here, we will let your wear #22" the staff should recognize that this young man has ambitions outside of lacrosse "Get a great education, wear #22 and let your voice be heard on and off the field." How many kids grew up wearing #23 because of Jordan and look what it created? The same could be said about #22 in our sport; how many kids watched the Powells, the Gaits, etc and got into this sport because of them? That's the value of #22, the exposure it brings - combine that with Chase's ambitions and the explosion of social media, seems to be a match made in heaven.

Gaht dayum we just cannot catch a break here can we? This article is written like it was specifically designed to make Cuse fans feel big-picture terrible about the future. I don’t know why but it just feels kind of dirty for kids to reveal that they were offered 22 and for IL to publish it in a way where it’s like “yeah they offered me 22 but I am not considering them really.” It just makes us look bad and desperate when we are neither. In fact I can't think of a time where details like this were revealed while someone was still deciding which school to transfer to. It didn't happen with TD Ierlan but that may be because it happened so fast. It raises the blood pressure to see that's for sure.

Remember every other coaching staff is doing their own version of begging and pleading for these studs to chose them too. We just happen to be the school with something specific to offer that makes it look like we are the truly desperate ones, when Cornell MD and Hopkins are also in serious need of a guy to make an impact at middie. This is still one guy making one decision with a lot of factors and I stand by not reading into the state of the program too much with this alone. I stand by saying that if his one and only goal is to win a championship ASAP then we are looking just as viable if not more viable for 2020 as at least 2 if not 3 of the schools on his list (Hopkins, Cornell, maybe MD). Shake it off folks! Things are still looking good for next year.

In regards to the 22, I think at this point it would just be best to give it to the best upperclassman on offense and call it a day. This is what the defense does with 11 and I think its a pretty cool tradition for them to do. Is it the end of the world if Rhefuss or Trimboli wear it for a year, then hand it down to Curry or Dordevic next year? It would give the guys something to strive for, and for the wearer of the jersey to feel like they've earned it. At this point, if no one wears it next year, that will be three straight years in a row - meaning the pressure on whoever wears it next is just compounded that much more. I thought it would work as a recruiting tool, but clearly I was wrong.

In regards to the 22, I think at this point it would just be best to give it to the best upperclassman on offense and call it a day. This is what the defense does with 11 and I think its a pretty cool tradition for them to do. Is it the end of the world if Rhefuss or Trimboli wear it for a year, then hand it down to Curry or Dordevic next year? It would give the guys something to strive for, and for the wearer of the jersey to feel like they've earned it. At this point, if no one wears it next year, that will be three straight years in a row - meaning the pressure on whoever wears it next is just compounded that much more. I thought it would work as a recruiting tool, but clearly I was wrong.

I think 22 could still be used as a recruiting tool for someone who is truly on the fence about whether or not to come here. These past two guys have basically just not had us on their list in the first place so it makes sense that it is not leading to results. Overall though I totally agree that it should go to one of the guys currently on the team having the most impact. That is actually how we did it before Jordan Evans! A 22 would graduate and then some Junior or Senior would get it. Dan Hardy, Jamison, Jojo Marasco all got it well after their freshman year.