Chelsea to add Cesc Fabregas? | Syracusefan.com

Chelsea to add Cesc Fabregas?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Sounds like Chelsea is about to make a deal to get Fabregas from Barca for around 30M.

Great signing in my opinion. He is a proven talent in the Premier League and he was too direct to fit in at Barca as well as he did in England.

After selling Mata - which I understood and accepted - Oscar really wore down and then went in the tank at the end of last season as Chelsea was chasing silverware. Hazard is not really a #10. He is creative, but he kind of dominates the ball and doesn't create chances for others as well as Mata, Oscar or Fabregas do.

I like this acquisition because Chelsea was stumped by so many lower table squads who parked 10 guys behind the ball last year. Cesc is somebody who can pick a direct pass through a tightly bunched defense and open them up. He also puts pressure on Oscar to stay in top form or risk being dropped. Defensively, if he is playing high up the pitch, he is used to chasing and pressuring defenses in the Barca style.

He might not be much of a holding midfielder, but he would be very useful to have in Jose's toolkit.

So, Costa, Luis Felipe and Tiago from Atletico so far. Courtois coming back from loan. Fabregas for the creative midfield cover. I believe Mandzukic is coming next from Bayern, and then I was reading that they are going in for Mangala for central defense (Varrane too expensive?). That should do it for the make-over.

Who else goes? I'm starting to think Torres may stick around. He seems like he'd be happy as cover for Costa. The key is to keep other key guys from leaving. I've seen Ivanovic, arguably our best player, linked with other teams; Ramires too. Those guys along with Hazard and Oscar -- we can't export any more creativity after losing Luiz -- must stay if we are to make a run next season.

Who else goes? I'm starting to think Torres may stick around. He seems like he'd be happy as cover for Costa. The key is to keep other key guys from leaving. I've seen Ivanovic, arguably our best player, linked with other teams; Ramires too. Those guys along with Hazard and Oscar -- we can't export any more creativity after losing Luiz -- must stay if we are to make a run next season.

Lukaku seems like a baby not willing to fight for his spot in the team; wants it given to him with no competition. Mourinho and Chelsea won't respect that, it's not a big club attitude. He's going, which is too bad because he would be a great late game sub to run at tired defenders.

Hilario is going. I hope they don't bring back Cole or Lampard. Both are done as players. (Well, Cole can still play, but I never thought he offered much going forward ...) I think they will sell Cech and give the job to Courtois.

Either Ba or Torres will be sold. Inter may be willing to pay 10M for Torres, or Besiktas 8M for Ba. The other will stay as the third striker behind Costa and hopefully Mandzukic. Marin to stay in Spain for about 5M. There is interest in Oriel Romeu from a midtable side in England at around 7M. I think Moses is a target for sale, but the loan to Liverpool really hurt his value. He did score 11 goals for Chelsea the year before, even if mostly in Cup competitions and Europa League.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom