Syracuse Looking to Fill DJ and Host Roles for 2024 Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Looking to Fill DJ and Host Roles for 2024 Season

IMO the in game experience at sporting events has gotten a lot worse, and more so in professional sports. Copying the in game experience because that is what everyone else is doing is lazy. If those multiple surveys they made us fill out is calling for this, I won’t like it but so be it. I have a feeling though given our marketing team’s background we are trying a cookie cutter approach which will only backfire.
You’re probably a diehard fan though and are just there to watch football (which is great, but you’re in the minority when it comes to current stadium crowds). You don’t fill stadiums with diehard fans. You need to cater to people who want to be entertained.

The watchability of football is 10x better on TV and free. You have to give people a reason to be there beyond watching football.

Same thing with concessions. There’s still a hotdog/popcorn/beer crowd and there always will be, but society has changed and now they offer Sushi at Yankee stadium. It’s just keeping up with the times.

You’re probably a diehard fan though and are just there to watch football (which is great, but you’re in the minority when it comes to current stadium crowds). You don’t fill stadiums with diehard fans. You need to cater to people who want to be entertained.

The watchability of football is 10x better on TV and free. You have to give people a reason to be there beyond watching football.

Same thing with concessions. There’s still a hotdog/popcorn/beer crowd and there always will be, but society has changed and now they offer Sushi at Yankee stadium. It’s just keeping up with the times.
But do casuals even want blaring music and DJs over having the band play? Do they want less of the cheerleaders and Otto? And how often do they actually show up?

The in game experience is getting worse everywhere IMO. Pro sports has sucked for years. It makes me less likely to go.

The last three years have been pretty bad in the Dome to the point where I wonder why I go vs watching on TV. Do they really want to turn off die hards to get a once a year fan to be happy?

If they have market research showing corny hype people is preferred over the college experience of cheerleaders and Otto, then I am wrong. If they have research showing a DJ is preferable to the band, I am wrong.

I really think sports teams are out of touch with the fans. They need a more organic approach vs a top down marketing team approach who don’t really get it.

They should get Cam Lynch to come on weekends. But that is unlikely.

But do casuals even want blaring music and DJs over having the band play? Do they want less of the cheerleaders and Otto? And how often do they actually show up?

The in game experience is getting worse everywhere IMO. Pro sports has sucked for years. It makes me less likely to go.

The last three years have been pretty bad in the Dome to the point where I wonder why I go vs watching on TV. Do they really want to turn off die hards to get a once a year fan to be happy?

If they have market research showing corny hype people is preferred over the college experience of cheerleaders and Otto, then I am wrong. If they have research showing a DJ is preferable to the band, I am wrong.

I really think sports teams are out of touch with the fans. They need a more organic approach vs a top down marketing team approach who don’t really get it.
I don’t envy them because they’re never going to make everyone happy.

The things a lot of the things you’re putting in the negatives like Blaring music are things I’d put in the positives (I actually think the Dome is one of the quieter venues for in-stadium music I’ve been to recently). And I have absolutely no desire to see otto, the cheer team and I think the band is boring and out dated. And that’s just two people. They need to try and make a game atmosphere that almost 50k people with differing opinions want.

The things a lot of the things you’re putting in the negatives like Blaring music are things I’d put in the positives (I actually think the Dome is one of the quieter venues for in-stadium music I’ve been to recently). And I have absolutely no desire to see otto, the cheer team and I think the band is boring and out dated. And that’s just two people. They need to try and make a game atmosphere that almost 50k people with differing opinions want.
It’s things like the band, the mascot and the cheer team that adds to appeal and uniqueness of the college game versus the pro game. Eliminate those and you might as well set up minor league teams like baseball and eliminate the colleges and universities altogether.

You have to give people a reason to be there beyond watching football.
and the best they can think of is rap music?

Why can’t they just have the cheerleaders do more stuff at midfield?

Live Cut ins to other games of interest during timeouts…

Do some enhanced reality gimmicks when the camera pans to close up crowd shots…

Do several raffles based on seat number… have bigger prizes for the better seats.

Do “live” cut-ins to EA’s NCAA 25 simulation of that day’s matchup. Fans might get a kick out of how well… or poorly the video game mirrors reality.

Plus 1 random look-in to the men’s and women’s bathroom that lasts for maybe 10 seconds just for the hell of it.

I came up with all this in about 1 minute as I typed. It’s not this hard but I never get the impression that SU tries or is willing to think outside the box.

My son is a DJ and music producer but alas he is literally on the other side of the world...maybe in a few years.

The entertainment is winning football. If you want crappy music blaring go to the club.

Sorry Older Man (now I am) Rant
No. No. No abrasive DJ featuring indecipherable "music" and manufactured energy.
Except at the beginning of the game, when the team runs out, some hype music there. Yes.
It's a football game not a North Korean "Dear Leader" rally or a revival meeting.
I want to be able to talk during the breaks, not have an assault on my senses. It's too much. Give it a rest. Let the game speak for itself. Don't need artificial energy. We've got a band. Use it.

I'm a Boomer and I approved this Message.

Not a boomer. Also approve of this message.

Bleep that noise, save it for minor-league hockey. College football games were more fun before "hosts" and DJs, and they're part of the reason why.

Only if it’s rony seikaly and his dj booth is in a highly visible location… and he brings a few south beach friends with him.

First, they need better surveys. The ones after each game last year never got to the issues nor provided good questions to gather preferences.

After collecting good data I am all for whatever is best even if I don’t like it.

IMO sports have become an out of touch corporate event. They are not providing what the majority of their fans want. Which just makes the experience worse and hurts building loyal young fans.

Sports are becoming way too commercial. Which turns off fans from attending. Games in person are becoming less enjoyable, which drives attendance down IMO more than anything else has.

The total college football experience makes it unique. If you take that away why become an SU fan and attend games when you can follow an NFL team or a major college team like Michigan?

Also the TV timeout gives you a chance to check other scores, twitter reactions, talk to friends, hit the head, etc. Having blaring music distracts from those things and makes the experience worse.

Are there really people who will go to games because of the DJ or in game host? I have seen people really enjoy seeing the band.

If these are driven organically, I get it and am for it even if I am personally against it. But based on what we all discussed here last year, the marketing team is out of touch and doing what they think is best not what the feedback said. Which is why the last few years feel more like a minor league amateur hour production than a major college football game. Kinda like how marketing teams at major companies have made faux pas that were way out of touch with their core audiences.

Edit

Also if you already have a band what is the need for the DJ? Can’t they just play the same songs?

Similarly what is the need for a host? Wouldn’t the PA announcer talking avoid the need for a calibrated remote mic and be better? Otto and the cheerleaders can perform any direct physical interaction.

I don’t see the value add when you already have alternatives, without the additional cost.

Last edited:
1711814443434.jpeg

So I’ve been to a few falcons games in atlanta. They have a DJ. And I gotta tell you, the crowd there goes absolutely nuts. And it’s not all rap all the time. But I was kinda skeptical at first but the DJ and music made the crowd stay in the game the entire way. No lows of any kind. But fix the sound system first. That’s priority number 1

So I’ve been to a few falcons games in atlanta. They have a DJ. And I gotta tell you, the crowd there goes absolutely nuts. And it’s not all rap all the time. But I was kinda skeptical at first but the DJ and music made the crowd stay in the game the entire way. No lows of any kind. But fix the sound system first. That’s priority number 1

The sound system is the biggest issue with the music and with the host.

I actually liked the DJ in the student section. The problem is how do you fit in a DJ, the band, the cheerleaders, the dance team, Otto, a host, and all the promotions? There isn't enough time to fit everything in. The last few years we have seen the band, cheer team, and Otto minimized while often being rushed with their performances.

It is hard for the crowd to get into the game when anything organic is immediately drowned out by loud music or a promotion. That IMO is a bigger problem with the in games than the dead time entertainment. Which is why I thought the game at Yankee Stadium was actually a better experience than the Dome.

The sound system is the biggest issue with the music and with the host.

I actually liked the DJ in the student section. The problem is how do you fit in a DJ, the band, the cheerleaders, the dance team, Otto, a host, and all the promotions? There isn't enough time to fit everything in. The last few years we have seen the band, cheer team, and Otto minimized while often being rushed with their performances.

It is hard for the crowd to get into the game when anything organic is immediately drowned out by loud music or a promotion. That IMO is a bigger problem with the in games than the dead time entertainment. Which is why I thought the game at Yankee Stadium was actually a better experience than the Dome.
All very valid points. Can’t argue with that. If we could get crowd engagement on first and second down like we do when it’s thirdddddddd downnnnnnnnnn (hopefully you heard that lol) it would be electric in there

First, they need better surveys. The ones after each game last year never got to the issues nor provided good questions to gather preferences.

After collecting good data I am all for whatever is best even if I don’t like it.

IMO sports have become an out of touch corporate event. They are not providing what the majority of their fans want. Which just makes the experience worse and hurts building loyal young fans.

Sports are becoming way too commercial. Which turns off fans from attending. Games in person are becoming less enjoyable, which drives attendance down IMO more than anything else has.

The total college football experience makes it unique. If you take that away why become an SU fan and attend games when you can follow an NFL team or a major college team like Michigan?

Also the TV timeout gives you a chance to check other scores, twitter reactions, talk to friends, hit the head, etc. Having blaring music distracts from those things and makes the experience worse.

Are there really people who will go to games because of the DJ or in game host? I have seen people really enjoy seeing the band.

If these are driven organically, I get it and am for it even if I am personally against it. But based on what we all discussed here last year, the marketing team is out of touch and doing what they think is best not what the feedback said. Which is why the last few years feel more like a minor league amateur hour production than a major college football game. Kinda like how marketing teams at major companies have made faux pas that were way out of touch with their core audiences.

Edit

Also if you already have a band what is the need for the DJ? Can’t they just play the same songs?

Similarly what is the need for a host? Wouldn’t the PA announcer talking avoid the need for a calibrated remote mic and be better? Otto and the cheerleaders can perform any direct physical interaction.

I don’t see the value add when you already have alternatives, without the additional cost.
Guess what, the surveys say people want these things. YOU are in the minority of people that attend games.

Also, "blaring music" distracts you from going to the bathroom or checking scores/twitter?

If you had your way, there would be only the band, cheerleaders, and Veley doing ad reads. Really gets the crowd going.