Syracuse Looking to Fill DJ and Host Roles for 2024 Season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Looking to Fill DJ and Host Roles for 2024 Season

Hopefully you're not a fan of Modern Family. It's so outrageous. Glorifying sexual harassment. The nerve of them.

Television shows, specifically comedies, exist to lampoon absurd situations in real life. I don't watch Modern Family but it's pretty obvious the point of that scene is exactly that.

Television shows, specifically comedies, exist to lampoon absurd situations in real life. I don't watch Modern Family but it's pretty obvious the point of that scene is exactly that.
"Blazing Saddles could NEVER be made today!" /s

If we are taking a survey here, I am 100% against a DJ and would prefer to limit the use of piped in music greatly.

The focus should be on the SUMB and the songs they play.

People are coming to watch a college football game. They should get a college football experience. The people that want to dance and rave can go to dance clubs.

I am cool with a few exceptions for songs that are popular parts of the game experience. Sweet Caroline. Don't Stop Believing. Maybe a few others.

But no need for a DJ for college sports events. How many times do we have to try this and see it is a complete disaster before we figure out this is still going to be a complete disaster?

If our bumbling technical crew can ever figure out how to get wireless microphones to work properly (defined as no screeching when the lic is live, where the words the hosts says are clearly understandable, like when Mr Excitement speaks), I would be supportive if having a host.

If we continue to roll with the the most backward, incompetent, completely overmatched and in need of permanent termination crew to handle sound for the dome, no. No hosts ever. No use of wireless mics ever.

If we have to have a host. have them make their announcements in ASL or have them use a wired mic with a really really long wire.
You summed it up well, we are there for a football game. That is the entertainment, if you want a DJ, and host go to a nightclub.

Laugh all you want, this is mainly why we've seen this go away around the country. It's antiquated.

Send me the link when there is a class action lawsuit. I dunno maybe I just see it a different way but being on kiss cam doesn't make you do anything you don't want to do, I have seen people kiss sure but I have seen people just wave or laugh. When is it actually the person's fault for failing to use there brain and make a decision that is best for them instead of placing blame on something that seems innocent enough.

Random thoughts: While I am a die hard who is there for the game, my kids are not. And while they love watching the band and seeing the cheerleaders perform before the game, during the game they’d rather hear songs they can sing along with. Having a DJ is a good idea - if it doesn’t work the issue is the execution not the concept.

Doesn’t need to be rap/modern music - the Devils have been playing Depeche Mode - "Just Can't Get Enough" at games and my kids love it. It’s hilarious when they have friends over and start playing this - their friends ask “is this a new song”? since it doesn’t sound like anything coming out today and they’re shocked when they find out it’s older than most of their parents. Shouldn’t be rocket science - play music that other venues are already having success with crowd engagement.

The Kiss cam doesn’t appeal to enough of a crowd to be viable anymore. I don’t know too many people under 40 who find any value in it, and a bunch over 40 (like me) who feel like it’s played out. This is one of those things I’d really like to still enjoy, partly because I think bnoro is wildly overplaying his hand with his stance here…but I can’t. It’s dated and I can’t make myself enjoy it.

The sound at Syracuse games has been atrocious since the new roof was installed, it alternates between too quiet to hear anything and so loud you can’t make anything out. It’s gone on way too long, my patience is gone - it better be functional this year or the entire discussion is pointless.

Last edited:
I guess maybe we find out if they can tune the sound when the dome is full hopefully this year.

I know there is a whole career around sound manipulation in large spaces. Is the Dome really the hardest place to figure it out?

Optimistic me says maybe the new seats help , less metal to bounce off of?

Dear SUAD and Mr. Sala,

I have a money saving proposition. I will do it for $1 more than I make currently (not alot). I have no DJ experience, nor have I ever been a host/emcee/broadcaster.

Best bang for your buck. You save money, and crowd won't know I suck, because they won't know what I'm saying and/or playing through your God awful sound system.

Thank you for your consideration,

DJ Whatshisnuts

Send me the link when there is a class action lawsuit. I dunno maybe I just see it a different way but being on kiss cam doesn't make you do anything you don't want to do, I have seen people kiss sure but I have seen people just wave or laugh. When is it actually the person's fault for failing to use there brain and make a decision that is best for them instead of placing blame on something that seems innocent enough.
A lot of men don't know where the line is. Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile. Hence why we need harassment training in offices, restraining orders, etc etc.

Ask the women in your life what they think of the kiss cam.

A lot of men don't know where the line is. Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile. Hence why we need harassment training in offices, restraining orders, etc etc.

I have a wife and she said if she didn't want a kiss she wouldn't let it happen.

You’re not making the best possible argument for your position on why the Kiss Cam is obsolete.

Broadly, the issue is some percentage of fans don’t want to be on Kiss cam. They could be married but not like PDAs, or it could be a first date, or it could be a mixed work outing with no romantic component, or it could be relatives like brother and sister, or it could be an affair the parties involved don’t want broadcast (potentially to acquaintances), and people can likely add several more reasons. The cameraman is just guessing he’s not selecting a couple from whatever percentage of the crowd doesn’t want to be selected. That percentage is significant enough that if they have a kiss cam, the cameraman is going to guess wrong enough that the team will get a noticeable amount of complaints - to the point it’s obvious it’s not a useful crowd engagement tool anymore.

While “harassment” might be one which creates the greatest risk to the team financially, on its own I don’t know that it would be sufficient for teams to have abandoned the kiss cam. I do know there are way too many issues overall for Kiss Cam to be used by most teams now. And “asking the women in your life about kiss cam” may or may not get people closer to an understanding of that reality.

SU has 3-4 hours 6 or 7 times a year to ensure that everything that they control makes you want to come back.

This is why the Cavaliers (pro, I know) would consistently sell games out during the lean years after LBJ. They got creative and made the controllable-aspects of the game FUN.

A DJ and a host do not mean there's now nothing for the older generation. A DJ does not also mean exclusively music you don't like.

Breathe. It's April

You’re not making the best possible argument for your position on why the Kiss Cam is obsolete.

Broadly, the issue is some percentage of fans don’t want to be on Kiss cam. They could be married but not like PDAs, or it could be a first date, or it could be a mixed work outing with no romantic component, or it could be relatives like brother and sister, or it could be an affair the parties involved don’t want broadcast (potentially to acquaintances), and people can likely add several more reasons. The cameraman is just guessing he’s not selecting a couple from whatever percentage of the crowd doesn’t want to be selected. That percentage is significant enough that if they have a kiss cam, the cameraman is going to guess wrong enough that the team will get a noticeable amount of complaints - to the point it’s obvious it’s not a useful crowd engagement tool anymore.

While “harassment” might be one which creates the greatest risk to the team financially, on its own I don’t know that it would be sufficient for teams to have abandoned the kiss cam. I do know there are way too many issues overall for Kiss Cam to be used by most teams now. And “asking the women in your life about kiss cam” may or may not get people closer to an understanding of that reality.
I mean yes, what you are saying also goes without saying. I wouldn't have interest in kissing my long-time partner on kiss cam at an SU game.

It's also not inclusive but I knew that would open another can of worms on this site.

It's so much easier to just pan the crowd with an instagram/snapchat filter to make people laugh.