Chicago | Syracusefan.com

Chicago

Shrmdougluvr

Give it all to me fool!
Have never been. Taking a long weekend there first weekend in August. Just planning on hitting touristy stuff.

Looking for advice on attending a Cubs game. I've read third base line up a little is the way to go as it keeps you out of the sun.

Thoughts? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Have never been. Taking a long weekend there first weekend in August. Just planning on hitting touristy stuff.

Looking for advice on attending a Cubs game. I've read third base line up a little is the way to go as it keeps you out of the sun.

Thoughts? Any suggestions are welcomed.
Go early to Wrigley, and get a tour by one of the volunteers. It’s really cool.

if you want food recommendations, especially in the West Loop, let me know. Love that area.

So here's a little more about my rough plans.

The entire family is going - Mrs. Shrmdougluvr, Shrmdougluvr Jr., and Shrmdougluvr III. The boys just turned 14 and 11.

We're staying at The Thompson, located just north of the Magnificent Mile.

I planned on just doing touristy stuff. My only must do is a Cubs game. We'd like to try deep dish. Would like to do one of the architectural tours (think boat option sounds neat). Wouldn't mind doing one of those high rise observations like the Willis Tower or 360 Chicago. Lincoln Park Zoo and Art Institute of Chicago both seem like solid options.

Also, as a child of the 80s/90s, i'd really like to rent a car and get up to the North Shore suburbs and see the Home Alone house, sites from Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, etc. Not sure how feasible that is. We get in real early on Friday and leave very late on Sunday.

The boat tour was really fun. Recommend.

If you make it to the west loop area, the Time Out Market on Fulton Marjet is a good option for food. Something for everyone, including teenagers, plus all the spirits you and mom need to survive a trip with knuckleheads/teenagers.

I live in Chicago. My thoughts and recommendations:
  • The architecture boat tour is awesome and a must.
  • Yes, sit on the third base side of Wrigley to avoid the sun beating down on you. The Bleachers are very fun, but you're in the sun and it's a drunken frat party, so not kid-friendly. Big Star (Mexican) and Smoke Daddy (BBQ) are two good restaurants right next to Wrigley if you want to eat before or after.
  • The Art Institute is world-class but not sure an 11 and 14-year old would enjoy. The Museum of Science & Industry is great and more likely to please your kids.
  • Don't do the Willis Tower. It's a tourist trap that takes over an hour to get to the Skydeck (i.e., the top w/ the glass platforms that extend out and you walk on). You just go from one line on one floor to another for an hour+. The John Hancock Tower's 360 Observation Deck is much better.
  • Like VT said, the West Loop has great restaurants.
  • Cindy's at the top of the Chicago Athletic Association has an awesome view of Millennium Park.
  • Lincoln Park Zoo is very meh. I find it depressing like most zoos.
  • Rent bikes and ride up and down the path along the lake. Can't go wrong north or south. Maybe bring your swim suits and hit up a beach. Chicago's a beach town during the summer.

Last edited:
I live in Chicago. My thoughts and recommendations:
  • The architecture boat tour is awesome and a must.
  • Yes, sit on the third base side of Wrigley to avoid the sun beating down on you. The Bleachers are very fun, but you're in the sun and it's a drunken frat party, so not kid-friendly. Big Star (Mexican) and Smoke Daddy (BBQ) are two good restaurants right next to Wrigley if you want to eat before or after.
  • The Art Institute is world-class but not sure an 11 and 14-year old would enjoy. The Museum of Science & Industry is great and more likely to please your kids.
  • Don't do the Willis Tower. It's a tourist trap that takes over an hour to get to the Skydeck (i.e., the top w/ the glass platforms that extend out and you walk on). You just go from one line on one floor to another for an hour+. The John Hancock Tower's 360 Observation Deck is much better.
  • Like VT said, the West Loop has great restaurants.
  • Cindy's at the top of the Chicago Athletic Association has an awesome view of Millennium Park.
I’ll be there in October. Let’s grab a beer!

Neither here nor there but one of the things I liked about Chicago was all of the old school neon signs on bars, restaurants, etc

Pequods for deep dish and an Italian beef at numerous places.

Pequods for deep dish and an Italian beef at numerous places.
Pequods was where Richie got the deep dish from in the Forks episode of The Bear. Not sure there is one near my hotel though. There’s Malnati’s. Don’t know if that’s a good one?

Love the Art Institute Of Chicago. Featuring at least two of my fave paintings--Sunday Afternoon On The Island Of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat, and Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. Back in the day, I saw a great stage version of 'Sunday In The Park With George' at the Goodman Theatre right after I had seen the painting.

Say-y-y-y, this gives me an excuse to post the amazing Act 1 Finale to the musical, the scene where he creates the painting. May be my favorite theatrical moment ever:

Pequods was where Richie got the deep dish from in the Forks episode of The Bear. Not sure there is one near my hotel though. There’s Malnati’s. Don’t know if that’s a good one?
There's only one location that I know of and it's over by Lincoln Park. Lou Malnati's is plenty good though.

Love the Art Institute Of Chicago. Featuring at least two of my fave paintings--Sunday Afternoon On The Island Of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat, and Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. Back in the day, I saw a great stage version of 'Sunday In The Park With George' at the Goodman Theatre right after I had seen the painting.

Say-y-y-y, this gives me an excuse to post the amazing Act 1 Finale to the musical, the scene where he creates the painting. May be my favorite theatrical moment ever:

I wanted to go and just listen to this on a loop.

My fellow children of the 80s will get the reference.

I wanted to go and just listen to this on a loop.

My fellow children of the 80s will get the reference.

it really is a great museum. Even without the smiths playing in the background.

Go early to Wrigley, and get a tour by one of the volunteers. It’s really cool.

if you want food recommendations, especially in the West Loop, let me know. Love that area.
I would go early to Wrigley regardless of the tour. First pitch was 2:20 pm and we left the hotel at 11 am and barely made it. Our hotel was not 3 hours away either :)

I would go early to Wrigley regardless of the tour. First pitch was 2:20 pm and we left the hotel at 11 am and barely made it. Our hotel was not 3 hours away either :)
Gotta say, the bleachers were fun back in the day.

Was there when the fans gave Dave 'Kong' Kingman a well-deserved beer shower during pre-game. I may, or may not, have participated.

My sister’s father in law was the guy who started the beer cup snake years ago. ESPN did a package on it a few weeks back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom