Chris Bell appreciation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell appreciation

As much as it sucks for Maliq to leave, Chris Bell has more value for the team in 2024 than Maliq does. Liq is the better player, but we'd be asking more questions I feel like if Chris left.

Bell strikes me as a follower, not in a bad way, but in the type of a player that takes the personality of the team around him.

Last year's team was about iso-ball, didn't hold each other accountable on defense/waved guys past, and tried to fast break rather than crash the boards. Bell seemed like he tried at first but didn't have much reason to hold himself to a high standard if others weren't.

If the team is hard working and gritty, I feel like he'd fall in line and elevate his play in those areas. He seems like a kid that just needs character guys around him to lead and show him the way.

I don't see how.

Chris is our only outside threat. I love Liq, but we need the shooting. If you asked me 10 years ago, I would have rather kept Maliq. 2024 basketball is so three-point focused now

Chris is our only outside threat. I love Liq, but we need the shooting. If you asked me 10 years ago, I would have rather kept Maliq. 2024 basketball is so three-point focused now

JJ shot 36% from 3 in the ACC this past season.

Bell may be our *best* outside threat, but he's not the only one.
Inbound Choppa is also a 3-ball threat, and Donnie Freeman can hit from there too.

My hope would be a few items that if he even gets a little better at will make him a real asset and legit threat:

>> Being able to come off a screen/curl and catch and shoot. He doesn't even need to be able to go both right to left AND left to right, just one. That would be devastating because that means we can run him around like crazy. And, it's not asking him to dribble more.

>> I think with more buy-in overall on the defensive side, if it occurs, that he can be better. I don't think we'll have better individual defenders, but I think we'll have better total buy in.

>> I think he'll feel more appreciated and you'll just naturally see more effort plays. I think there is something that camaraderie (as cheesy as that sounds) will equal the rising tide lifting all boats. Maybe he won't ever be a natural rebounder, but maybe he gets more because he is just hustling 10% more and his teammates are also giving a bit more, overall.

I think if Bell buys in and trusts Red and trusts the process, I think the culture and camaraderie of a team that runs the right plays and the right system and showcases people's abilities, Bell will benefit greatly from that. I'm not going to get over Maliq leaving, but I now have an opening to be put on the Chris Bell Fan Club.
I think this is spot on. He did improve this year from his Frosh season, but beyond part of his skill improvement will be improving his conditioning and focus. He is going to have to work a lot harder to get shots and that takes conditioning.

Chris Bell will officially be the last player to wear Orange who played under Jim Boeheim.

Red has turned over 95% of the roster since taking over 13 months ago. This is all Red now.

Chris Bell will officially be the last player to wear Orange who played under Jim Boeheim.

Red has turned over 95% of the roster since taking over 13 months ago. This is all Red now.
This begs the question, was Boeheim's "best class" actually in fact his worst class?

JJ shot 36% from 3 in the ACC this past season.

Bell may be our *best* outside threat, but he's not the only one.
Inbound Choppa is also a 3-ball threat, and Donnie Freeman can hit from there too.

Completely forgot about Choppa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom