Chris Bell appreciation | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell appreciation

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
In this day and age of NIL and transfer portal aka free agency, I just want to take a moment to appreciate Chris Bell. He’s going to be entering his third season here and has improved every season. He’s the only remaining recruit from his class and I look forward to a great season from him next year. With players rarely staying at one school for 3 or 4 (or even 2) seasons anymore, it’s special having a player like Chris stay nowadays.

In this day and age of NIL and transfer portal aka free agency, I just want to take a moment to appreciate Chris Bell. He’s going to be entering his third season here and has improved every season. He’s the only remaining recruit from his class and I look forward to a great season from him next year. With players rarely staying at one school for 3 or 4 (or even 2) seasons anymore, it’s special having a player like Chris stay nowadays.
He just kept getting better, yes there are holes in his game but he is a great athlete and shooter and should keep getting better. He may be a go to scorer for us this year.

I appreciate anyone who stays, but if we're being honest part of that is because Red decided to invest in him over others, so he didn't feel compelled to leave because the NIL raise isn't as large to go elsewhere.

YUP...Chris has a sh...er uh boatload of talent. Speed/"hops"/3 pt stroke.
What he has lacked so far is consistency, maturity(both physical/mental) and defense/rebounding.
He has showed improvement. I'd like to see him be a16pt/7 reb player this upcoming season.

YUP...Chris has a sh...er uh boatload of talent. Speed/"hops"/3 pt stroke.
What he has lacked so far is consistency, maturity(both physical/mental) and defense/rebounding.
He has showed improvement. I'd like to see him be a16pt/7 reb player this upcoming season.
Let's get him to a consistent 5 rebounds a game. Seven is a lot for a small forward.

Stephen Colbert Watch GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I have followed Chris for a bit. His father played for Loyola the year after I left. Chris is coming along. Back in the day he would have learned the college game and grown physically, instead he has 60 career starts. I expect to see a big jump this year and could see him to leading the team in scoring at around 14-16 a game.

I hope he learned how to play defense.

I appreciate anyone who stays, but if we're being honest part of that is because Red decided to invest in him over others, so he didn't feel compelled to leave because the NIL raise isn't as large to go elsewhere.
Yep. Happy he's here and excited to see if he makes the leap this year...but I'm not naive enough to think this is some sort of loyalty play. That's with any player these days.

Honest question, do you think he will be better on D?
I don't know, I look at it this way.

Yes, because he's athletic and quick, maybe it'll click for him.

Maybe, he cant get worse.

No, no improvement after year one, didnt see much during year two so I dont expect any in a few months until year three.

I honestly really have not seen a player like him, I dont know if there really is a comparable for him.

I hope he learned how to play defense.
There is literally not a positive comment that can be made on this board without a negative response, usually, as here, a negative response that has been made dozens of times in dozens of threads. No idea if you "two3zone" are one who consistently makes these comments so not directing at you but it's puzzling that folks feel the need to say the same thing again and again (btw great wuote from greatest show ever: "oh so now you are saying I'm being redundant, that I repeat myself, that I say the same thing over and over again."

I don't know, I look at it this way.

Yes, because he's athletic and quick, maybe it'll click for him.

Maybe, he cant get worse.

No, no improvement after year one, didnt see much during year two so I dont expect any in a few months until year three.

I honestly really have not seen a player like him, I dont know if there really is a comparable for him.
I know you guys are talking defense, but at least to me and on the offensive side, I say a lot of similarity to Buddy.

Was pretty much a spot up guy as a Frosh but we saw both Chris and Buddy get to that mid range shot and take it more Sophomore year.

I say he's heading in Buddy's direction on offense and hope to see him get closer to the rim with his shot. Ton of respect for him now from deep so you hope he's working hard on a few dribbles and look for something inside when they give him that....

As for defense? Rebounding? I don't know. How about Buddy? :)

He is a good chase down shot blocker!

Chris Bell saved our season against Colgate before it even started and then showed what he can do on the road at Nc State. ACC road wins against the top half of the league are almost always Q1.

So much upside and realistically if he can’t defend or his shot gets too inconsistent Chance and Davis are waiting.

Chris Bell saved our season against Colgate before it even started and then showed what he can do on the road at Nc State. ACC road wins against the top half of the league are almost always Q1.

So much upside and realistically if he can’t defend or his shot gets too inconsistent Chance and Davis are waiting.
My offseason theme for this team is competition is key. Bench needs to push the starters. More options means less guarantees.

I know you guys are talking defense, but at least to me and on the offensive side, I say a lot of similarity to Buddy.

Was pretty much a spot up guy as a Frosh but we saw both Chris and Buddy get to that mid range shot and take it more Sophomore year.

I say he's heading in Buddy's direction on offense and hope to see him get closer to the rim with his shot. Ton of respect for him now from deep so you hope he's working hard on a few dribbles and look for something inside when they give him that...

As for defense? Rebounding? I don't know. How about Buddy? :)

He is a good chase down shot blocker!

Besides being a great shooter like Buddy I think the two are similar in one other important way. They abuse smaller defenders. By Buddy's senior year he was pretty much automatic with a smaller defender on him. He might have averaged 25 a game had teams not been able to guard him with a taller forward. Unfortunately the way that team was set up teams could guard him with a taller forward and not pay for it, so they pretty much always did.

You started to see the same thing last year with Bell. He was absolutely smoking smaller defenders, but again, teams were able to put taller forwards on him without paying any significant price because our other forward was either Taylor or Copeland (both essentially guards).

Next year, however, our other forward should be either Freeman or Davis. Two guys who would also welcome a smaller defender. So any team that plays 3 guards (which is most) is going to have a weakness Syracuse is very well set up to exploit. I think it's going to lead to a huge year for Bell.

Besides being a great shooter like Buddy I think the two are similar in one other important way. They abuse smaller defenders. By Buddy's senior year he was pretty much automatic with a smaller defender on him. He might have averaged 25 a game had teams not been able to guard him with a taller forward. Unfortunately the way that team was set up teams could guard him with a taller forward and not pay for it, so they pretty much always did.

You started to see the same thing last year with Bell. He was absolutely smoking smaller defenders, but again, teams were able to put taller forwards on him without paying any significant price because our other forward was either Taylor or Copeland (both essentially guards).

Next year, however, our other forward should be either Freeman or Davis. Two guys who would also welcome a smaller defender. So any team that plays 3 guards (which is most) is going to have a weakness Syracuse is very well set up to exploit. I think it's going to lead to a huge year for Bell.

I would also bet good money that Bell will work diligently in the offseason to add to his offensive arsenal.

I also keep saying, I think we'll see a lot of really effective two man game with Bell dumping it in to Lampkin. No double, and Lampkin gets a bucket. Double comes, and Bell floats to the wing or corner for a clean three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom