Chris Carlson leaving the SU Sports Beat / Emily Leiker joins... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Carlson leaving the SU Sports Beat / Emily Leiker joins...

Everyone come on - it was a bad joke with a kid showing love for her alma mater while recognizing the greatness of Newhouse. If we are that insecure ...

Yep, no doubt. A general common theme here and in our culture today where a majority of folk really seem to take themselves way too seriously over such matters.

At least we know that she’s not remote?
I reached out to her...she is going to come to our tailgate this Fall.

I found her IG post humorous. There is a rivalry between Newhouse and Mizzou in journalism. Nothing more than that.

If she does well here, I'm sure she'll move onto a bigger market. We need to let her do her job and hopefully she can bring a new perspective that reads and informs as well as what Chris did.

BTW, Chris should be by the tailgate in the Fall.

Emily, I hope you're taller than 5'2" talking to Dino... (inside joke)

Last edited:
Mink and Bailey at All Day Everyday. And McAllister, if you want to subject yourself to that.
I like Mike for the recruiting coverage, Bailey cAn break down a game well, but he is at a recruiting site. I don’t read Syracuse.com at all, there is zero coverage. I still think Mike is the best, he gets articles out and covers the team well. Is he a homer, sure, but he does this as a side gig and grew up a Cuse fan. As a fan I’m looking for any local coverage I can get.

I reached out to her...she is going to come to our tailgate this Fall.

I found her IG post humorous. There is a rivalry between Newhouse and Mizzou in journalism. Nothing more than that.

If she does well here, I'm sure she'll move onto a bigger market. We need to let her do her job and hopefully she can bring a new perspective that reads and informs as well as what Chris did.

BTW, Chris should be by the tailgate in the Fall.

Emily, I hope you're taller than 5'2" talking to Dino... (inside joke)

That's nice of you to give her a warm welcome and invite her.

No snark or sarcasm, I mean it. That's kind of you.

No big deal but just like I said - an odd way to introduce yourself to a fanbase that doesn’t know her nor her work yet. She probably realizes it may have been a joke saved for later after we got to know her better. Personally I welcome her, glad she’s not remote and hoping she does a great job.

Heck I even waited a month or so to get to know each other before making a joke with a new manager at my company for being a Louisville grad and the purchasing manager for being a Kentucky grad. Of course the relationship between them was interesting to watch after their transfers here too. :)

That's nice of you to give her a warm welcome and invite her.

No snark or sarcasm, I mean it. That's kind of you.
Wink wink. I’m kidding. I can’t help but hear sarcasm even in someone being sincere and stating otherwise.

L
You guys HATED Michael Cohen and this place has no love for Pete Thamel.
That’s because Michael Cohen covered the team in about as self loathing a way as an SU grad could.

Here’s the main issue I had with him - you cannot and will not get access to the staff by covering the program in the way he did. You cannot be relentless, play the gotcha game every opportunity you can and then expect people to open up to you and build some modicum of trust with you. And there’s a difference between being a complete homer with no objectivity and being selective with how you cover the program so that you can provide better content to the readers.

We all suffered so he could try to make a name for himself. Yay. Pass.

L

That’s because Michael Cohen covered the team in about as self loathing a way as an SU grad could.

Here’s the main issue I had with him - you cannot and will not get access to the staff by covering the program in the way he did. You cannot be relentless, play the gotcha game every opportunity you can and then expect people to open up to you and build some modicum of trust with you. And there’s a difference between being a complete homer with no objectivity and being selective with how you cover the program so that you can provide better content to the readers.

We all suffered so he could try to make a name for himself. Yay. Pass.
All I said was that he’s an SU grad as evidence that it’s not some magic bullet for people getting what they want out of a beat writer. I don’t want to talk about him beyond that.

All I said was that he’s an SU grad as evidence that it’s not some magic bullet for people getting what they want out of a beat writer. I don’t want to talk about him beyond that.
I get it. SU grad is no guarantee that we will get what we want. Understood.

Sorry, Michael Cohen is a trigger for me. :)

FVzfZuPWQAIbJHw
Thank you Chris Carlson!

Emily wrote a VG article today on the QB recruit from SC
Agree, Mark.

As much as we want our sportswriters to be ‘round-the-clock diehards living/dying by what they cover, today’s Gen Zer is more diverse in their interests and passions.

Don’t take Twitter too literally, and she will be great.

I'd have to say, I think Emily Leiker really stepped up her game. Her articles have been good and she has been getting good scoop from recruits. Shes also had some nice profiles on some coaches and players.

Much better than the full twitter feed of star wars tweets we kept getting...

she explored the finger lakes last weekend too visiting the ithaca farmers market

I'd have to say, I think Emily Leiker really stepped up her game. Her articles have been good and she has been getting good scoop from recruits. Shes also had some nice profiles on some coaches and players.

Much better than the full twitter feed of star wars tweets we kept getting...
SU football and Star Wars in the same place? Toss in Seinfeld and she's worthy of a life appointment.