Chris McCullough awaits qualifying score, hopes to hear soon | Syracusefan.com

Chris McCullough awaits qualifying score, hopes to hear soon

Last I checked, you take the SAT about midway through your Junior year. Why did he just take the SAT and ACT a month ago?

Maybe I'm mis-remembering this, but didn't McCullough's coach indicate awhile back that he'd qualified and was eligible to play as a freshman? It might not have been his coach, but wasn't that reported a few weeks ago?

That seems contradictory to today's article.

Last I checked, you take the SAT about midway through your Junior year. Why did he just take the SAT and ACT a month ago?

You can take them as many times as you want and only the highest score really matters. Sounds like he didn't get a high enough score on the NCAA's sliding scale and had to retake the tests. The sliding scale takes into account the students GPA/Average and their SAT/ACT score. If your GPA/average is higher, your SAT/ACT score can be lower and you can still qualify. The lower your GPA/average is, the higher your score on one of the standardized (SAT/ACT) tests needs to be.

Brooky03 said:

SAT was taken 5/3. Kids got their scores last Thursday(online).

Yes, I thought it had been previously reported that McC was qualified. Evidently something didn't count.

What would an off-season be without some agita ?????

Imagine if he doesn't qualify - board will implode beyond belief.

Yes, I thought it had been previously reported that McC was qualified. Evidently something didn't count.

What would an off-season be without some agita ?????

Imagine if he doesn't qualify - board will implode beyond belief.
He gone?

Hard to believe a bigger deal wasn't made of this. With Coleman's status up in the air, this is a bit scary.

SAT was taken 5/3. Kids got their scores last Thursday(online).

But why did he take it as a Senior? Wasn't he trying to graduate early at some point? I would think taking the SAT and/or ACT would have been one of the first steps in trying to qualify early.

Brooky03 said:
But why did he take it as a Senior? Wasn't he trying to graduate early at some point? I would think taking the SAT and/or ACT would have been one of the first steps in trying to qualify early.

He probably took it multiple times starting spring of junior year, maybe earlier. Just saying the one he just took was 5/3 and scores are available. Can athletes who take multiple SATs have their scores super scored like other students?

He probably took it multiple times starting spring of junior year, maybe earlier. Just saying the one he just took was 5/3 and scores are available. Can athletes who take multiple SATs have their scores super scored like other students?

I believe the answer to your question is "Yes," the NCAA takes the best score in Critical Reading and the best score in the Math section. In other words the "super-score." The Writing section is not used by the NCAA.

MaxwellCuse said:
I believe the answer to your question is "Yes," the NCAA takes the best score in Critical Reading and the best score in the Math section. In other words the "super-score." The Writing section is not used by the NCAA.

Thanks.

Why oh why...it's like October of 1996 all over again. YEESH. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!

Plenty of kids, athletes and not, will take the tests a second or third time early in their senior years. This late is a bit disconcerting but it's not unheard of by any means.

Even if he gets a qualifying score, this will go down to the wire. Think Roberson last year. The NCAA gets overwhelmed trying to evaluate all the late scores before the fall semester. They focus on fall sports (football) first and then winter and spring sports. Even if he gets in, in might be January.

Even if he gets a qualifying score, this will go down to the wire. Think Roberson last year. The NCAA gets overwhelmed trying to evaluate all the late scores before the fall semester. They focus on fall sports (football) first and then winter and spring sports. Even if he gets in, in might be January.

are you just hypothesizing doomsday here?

I may me missing something, but I don't think this is anything like Roberson, is it? For Roberson the question was whether or not the NCAA would accept a class or two or something like that; as far as I know this is purely about getting a qualifying score on a test that was already taken. This should be a lot more black and white.

My little brother took the SATs earlier this month. He got his scores last week. Something seems wrong here.