Chris Slayton to the NY Giants | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Slayton to the NY Giants

I haven't seen all of his snaps, but I can say with a great deal of certainty that Austin Cutting, a Long Snapper, was not one of the 254 best draft-eligible players in 2019.
It's about need,as well.

Why so sensitive? There's got to be reasons on why NFL teams waited until Round 7 and not Round 1-2-3 to draft him. I'm rooting for him but let's not get too hurt if someone says something against one of our players.
He said that he wasn't consistent.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

It has nothing to do with being "sensitive" -- I give Kiper credit for being the one who "discovered" that the draft was something that people might be interested in, and stoking the flames. But his analysis / predictions are piss poor, and always have been.

Interesting list. Even though it's not necessarily their glory years, seems like Louisville, Nebraska, Tennessee and Va Tech would have at least one draftable player each year.

Slayton seems to me like one of those types of players a coach can put out there and know he'll do his job and do it well. Not flashy but always dependable.

Slayton seems to me like one of those types of players a coach can put out there and know he'll do his job and do it well. Not flashy but always dependable.
I’m not arguing your point as I’ve watched his whole career, however I find it interesting that the main criticism of his play was effort consistency snap to snap.

I’m not arguing your point as I’ve watched his whole career, however I find it interesting that the main criticism of his play was effort consistency snap to snap.
Maybe the talking heads are/were expecting penetration and sacks. That's never been the primary job of SU's interior DL. Their primary jobs are to collapse the pocket and stuff the run.

Maybe the talking heads are/were expecting penetration and sacks. That's never been the primary job of SU's interior DL. Their primary jobs are to collapse the pocket and stuff the run.

and to keep the OL off our LB's.

Do teams make moves like this to take a look at borderline guys in live action with an eye toward next year?
I would assume this would be the case to a team that has nothing else to play for but a draft pick

I would assume this would be the case to a team that has nothing else to play for but a draft pick
If that's what they're doing, I hope that's a good sign for him. Maybe they think he has a good chance to make the roster next year.

If that's what they're doing, I hope that's a good sign for him. Maybe they think he has a good chance to make the roster next year.
Should have this year.

They are a mess

Should have this year.

They are a mess
Defensively they are a mess. But the interior DL is the strength of the unit. BJ Hill, Dalvin Tomlinson, Dexter Lawrence and Leonard Williams are all very solid.
Slayton has an uphill battle to crack the rotation in ‘20 sans attrition (Williams).

Would love the Phins to pick him up if he gets released. Giants just aren't a good matchup given the depth.

Don't think the Gmen are going to pay up for Williams. That could be Slayton's spot.

Do teams make moves like this to take a look at borderline guys in live action with an eye toward next year?

Yes they do, but in this case it was reported that other teams were interested in signing Chris off the Giants practice squad. To prevent losing him with out gaining anything in return they had to promote him to the active 53 man roster.

Yes they do, but in this case it was reported that other teams were interested in signing Chris off the Giants practice squad. To prevent losing him with out gaining anything in return they had to promote him to the active 53 man roster.
That sounds like a good sign too. They must see value, it they don't want to lose him.