Chuckwu and Fab Melo | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chuckwu and Fab Melo

Jeez...you guys have a very different memory of Fab than I do. I remember a big blob of nothingness. I think Paschal has a much higher upside.

Freshman Fab - yes. Sophomore Fab improved tremendously. There's a reason why his ineligibility caused such a stir.

But to see them statistically pretty even makes me think Paschal will pass Fab.

Laugh at me...but if Danny Schayes could make a living in the NBA for like 17 yrs...I think PC could last 5-7 years as a serviceable backup. He is starting to nail his free throws...now work on his foot work and eye/hand coordination for offense around the rim the next year. Then work on a hook shot and some mid range jumpers. A process. He should stay for the duration until his eligibility expires. If he progresses I can see a nice living playing ball for 5-10 years in the NBA/Euro. I think PC as a senior might be pretty good for us.

A lot of people are missing the point of the original post. I was comparing productivity up to the start of conference play. It is remarkably similar, as the numbers show. People seem to be remembering 'end-of-year' Fab and not 'beginning-of-season' Fab, which is what the comparison is based on.

Look at the game log Fab Melo 2011-12 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com and you'll see that Fab improved pretty markedly as the season progressed. All but one of his double digit scoring nights came in conference play, and his rebounding and shot blocking both picked up with more 'in game' experience.

Do I think PC can improve to do what Fab was doing in conference play that year? I don't know? (my expectation is that it will take longer for PC to develop because he's not the athlete that Fab was). But I do know that they were doing very similar things in pre-conference play...

I truly have no idea what tonight will bring in terms of PC's performance, but I'm guessing this thread will be interesting reading tomorrow. He's going to face a center, who is a senior and similarly sized. This will be a truer test of him than playing against the small forwards of VA Tech.

Fab was a much more physical presence. He wasn’t easy to move and he wasn’t pushed around. Fab was also great at drawing offensive fouls.
Very much so. I'd be scared to see PC try to draw a charge. He still picks up 1-2 stupid over the back rebounding fouls a game, so putting another play in the hands of an official to possibly give him a 2nd or 3rd would be scary! Specially with BS being a huge question mark!

Very much so. I'd be scared to see PC try to draw a charge. He still picks up 1-2 stupid over the back rebounding fouls a game, so putting another play in the hands of an official to possibly give him a 2nd or 3rd would be scary! Specially with BS being a huge question mark!

He'd break a wrist!

I truly have no idea what tonight will bring in terms of PC's performance, but I'm guessing this thread will be interesting reading tomorrow. He's going to face a center, who is a senior and similarly sized. This will be a truer test of him than playing against the small forwards of VA Tech.
I watched some of their last game and their center is a load. He will move PC around. I just hope PC is smart and draws the fouls instead of trying to push back too much and get bad calls.

Jeez...you guys have a very different memory of Fab than I do. I remember a big blob of nothingness. I think Paschal has a much higher upside.
You must have slept through Fab's sophomore year.

Laugh at me...but if Danny Schayes could make a living in the NBA for like 17 yrs...I think PC could last 5-7 years as a serviceable backup. He is starting to nail his free throws...now work on his foot work and eye/hand coordination for offense around the rim the next year. Then work on a hook shot and some mid range jumpers. A process. He should stay for the duration until his eligibility expires. If he progresses I can see a nice living playing ball for 5-10 years in the NBA/Euro. I think PC as a senior might be pretty good for us.
The NBA has changed so much since Danny Schayes played... I don't think there's any chance PC plays 5 years in the league... I don't even think he ever plays in the league. Bigs in the NBA need to be like Clint Capela, DeAndre Jordan or Andre Drummond: super-athletic, able to roll hard to the basket after setting a high screen (and able to actually dunk the ball), and capable of switching (or hedging) on D.

I say this not to bash Paschal - he has actually played way better this year than I ever thought he was capable of (based on last year's performance, I was expecting zero from him this year). But the reality in 2018 is that if you're not already in the NBA when you're 7'-2", and about to be 23 years old... you probably never will be.

The NBA has changed so much since Danny Schayes played... I don't think there's any chance PC plays 5 years in the league... I don't even think he ever plays in the league. Bigs in the NBA need to be like Clint Capela, DeAndre Jordan or Andre Drummond: super-athletic, able to roll hard to the basket after setting a high screen (and able to actually dunk the ball), and capable of switching (or hedging) on D.

I say this not to bash Paschal - he has actually played way better this year than I ever thought he was capable of (based on last year's performance, I was expecting zero from him this year). But the reality in 2018 is that if you're not already in the NBA when you're 7'-2", and about to be 23 years old... you probably never will be.
I'd be shocked if PC played a single NBA minute. He just isn't athletic, fluid or strong enough to overcome a non-existent offensive game. Even "bad" NBA big men have some athleticism, bulk and/or ability to do something with the ball.

I'd be shocked if PC played a single NBA minute. He just isn't athletic, fluid or strong enough to overcome a non-existent offensive game. Even "bad" NBA big men have some athleticism, bulk and/or ability to do something with the ball.
Maybe you guys are right... I'm just looking at it positively. He has improved quite a bit this year. Hopefully he can add 20 lbs of muscle over the next two seasons and keep improving.

BTW, any chance he can be granted a 6th year?

Anyone want to revisit this thread? I for one don't recall multiple rebounds being simply pulled out of fabs hands...

I remember making a comparison of Fab's freshman year here and Paschal's freshmen year at Providence and the numbers were similar. I was informed that Paschal is not Fab and I shouldn't expect similar accomplishments. I think Paschal has come on very strongly and can still get better, (look at the improvement in his foul shooting). But I also agree that Fab was stronger and better able to cover guys one on one and that he drew charges very well. i think his impact in a game as a sophomore was clearly stronger than Paschal is right now but it will be interesting to visit this notion at the end of the year and next year if he's still here.

The best floppers in SU history were the lee bothers. Joel Mareiness used to describe their "seat of the pants slide" with great pleasure.

Maybe you guys are right... I'm just looking at it positively. He has improved quite a bit this year. Hopefully he can add 20 lbs of muscle over the next two seasons and keep improving.

BTW, any chance he can be granted a 6th year?
He has made a great deal of improvement, but it doesn't mean he'll even get a sniff of the NBA. He's just too stiff and unathletic to hang with NBA athletes, even at 7'2". Look at the NBA I highly doubt he'll put on 20 lbs looking at his thin frame. If he hasn't added bulk yet, it seems unlikely he will over the next year and a half.

Look at that guy Boban on the Pistons. 7'3" and doesn't move well, but he's almost 300 lbs with some offensive ability, so he sticks as a deep bench piece. He's got 70-75 lbs on PC. I don't know how he can overcome that.

Hopefully, he'll get a shot to play overseas somewhere.