Chukwu - Draft potential? | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu - Draft potential?

ROCcuse

2nd String
I've read plenty of posts on the recruiting board discussing how big the recruiting class of '17 will be. Lydon and Battle are always mentioned as potential early entrants into the NBA draft, along with of course DC, Roberson, Gillon, etc. being gone after this year, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention the possibility of Chukwu being part of the exodus.

What does the NBA expect to see from a guy that is a 7' 2" to draft him in the first round?

With my minimal knowledge of what NBA execs are looking for, I'm wondering - if he shows what is needed to be a solid defender, rebounder and shot blocker; enough skill around the basket to collect and finish drop down passes from our guards, could he be gone next season also?

I'm asking because I'm imagining PC to have at least the kind of lateral quickness/straight up defending of BMK, but with better hands/ability to finish around the basket.

NBA gurus please fill me in.

His size is going to keep him on the radar from the get go, which is part of the battle already.

As Jalen Rose says, "if you are seven feet and can walk and chew gum, you can get an NBA contract".

That's obviously extreme, but his bar, imo, would be as follows (you basically mention these):

Naturally at ease with on the ball defense and rebounding.

Shows lateral quickness and a high level of comfort in guarding guys smaller than him. This is more for bigs that are put into action on the pick and roll and have to switch and guard wings or PGs.

Can finish on the pick and roll (and set crushing picks).

He does that? Yes. He can get drafted.

To be a 1st rounder, he'll need to either show himself as a monster defensive player or show that he can be a reasonable two way player. Not confident in the latter.

I'd say he's close to a lock for a 2nd round flyer once he shows he can function within a winning program like ours.

I wouldn't worry, he will be in his 3rd year out of HS at the end of next season when the draft happens. In NBA terms: he's the Crypt Keeper. No chance of getting drafted as I am told at such a geriatric state.

It's great that he has 3 years of eligibility here, but it's also kind of a catch 22, if he's anywhere near as good as we all hope he is, there's little to no chance he uses all 3 of those years.

I don't think 7'2"PC will be able to show enough, play enough, this year to make an NBA impression. If we get AW3, I think Lydon will see some time at center which will eat into some of PC's minutes. Not only will PC's minutes be limited but his role will be strictly as a defensive stopper, the last option on offense.

The real danger in my mind is after the '17-'18 season. After SU loses DC2 and probably Lydon, PC will play a lot. In that case it is realistic to think his bball resume will show a huge rise and rapid improvement. The iron may then be hot. A 7'2" player that looks like he is rapidly improving would have to be enticing to the NBA.

Just a little spin on the hand wringing. If we are losing players, it is because they are playing well enough to leave. The staff will be prepared for this, they will recruit accordingly and it actually makes SU a more attractive destination, if players are going to the NBA, especially early and from all positions.

I've read plenty of posts on the recruiting board discussing how big the recruiting class of '17 will be. Lydon and Battle are always mentioned as potential early entrants into the NBA draft, along with of course DC, Roberson, Gillon, etc. being gone after this year, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention the possibility of Chukwu being part of the exodus.

What does the NBA expect to see from a guy that is a 7' 2" to draft him in the first round?

With my minimal knowledge of what NBA execs are looking for, I'm wondering - if he shows what is needed to be a solid defender, rebounder and shot blocker; enough skill around the basket to collect and finish drop down passes from our guards, could he be gone next season also?

I'm asking because I'm imagining PC to have at least the kind of lateral quickness/straight up defending of BMK, but with better hands/ability to finish around the basket.

I'm expecting a Hasheem Thabeet trajectory. Raw and rigid, but with his size and ability he could be an all ACC type of defender, any points being gravy. The NBA will give him a chance as they did Hasheem.

I'm expecting a Hasheem Thabeet trajectory. Raw and rigid, but with his size and ability he could be an all ACC type of defender, any points being gravy. The NBA will give him a chance as they did Hasheem.
I would have to agree. My guess is drafted his junior season.

Some JB quotes:

Syracuse, N.Y. — Jim Boeheim made a prediction at Syracuse University's Media Day.

"Paschal," he proclaimed, "will be one of the premier shot-blockers in college basketball, probably."

/

Boeheim was already optimistic about his team for this season-- "We're probably in much better position heading into this year than we were last year and last year turned out pretty good," he told SNY.tv in May -- and now he's even happier about what's ahead.

"Pretty good," he said with a laugh. "I like our team. The big guy [Chukwu]'s pretty good. He can block shots. He can block a lot of shots."

If JB is correct on his speculation, most 7' premier college shoot blockers get drafted. Pretty good odds.

It is interesting to note JB predicted Lydon would be gone after this season but didnt say that about Kid Mamba or PC

I always dreaded when we played him with Uconn. He altered so many shots.

Tough to go based on coaches predictions. I remember vaguely that before MCWs soph year, Jb predicted he would be drafted. I dont remember JBs quotes before Dions and Fabs soph years. Otoh i do recall JB seemed to infer Grant, Ennis, Mal would not be ready the years they got drafted

Surprised to see he was drafted #2 overall. That is probably a pick the Griz would like to have back. He was dominant in college, run of the mill in the NBA.

The year Kemba won it all, uconvict had 2 guys, i forget their names who blocked a ton of shots. Those guys D never got enough credit imo, it all went to kemba. Similarly, when we went to the FF in '13, MCW and JS got a ton of credit. But outside of SU, imo not enough credit went to Rak and Baye and their defense/ shotblocking

What i am struggling to say: PCs defense should be very key to the success of this yrs team...imo

Just a little spin on the hand wringing. If we are losing players, it is because they are playing well enough to leave. The staff will be prepared for this, they will recruit accordingly and it actually makes SU a more attractive destination, if players are going to the NBA, especially early and from all positions.
Often times SU loses players because of their potential. Mal had a mediocre year with a few great games and showed a lot of potential. PC could be drafted on potential.

While the drafting of players may have long term benefits, losing PC would be a serious hurt to '17-'18.

Often times SU loses players because of their potential. Mal had a mediocre year with a few great games and showed a lot of potential. PC could be drafted on potential.

While the drafting of players may have long term benefits, losing PC would be a serious hurt to '17-'18.
I agree, it always hurts when these guys leave, and they do leave before we see their best, typically. But, each player will be replaced and we will keep rolling.

I don't know if we've ever had a center with the lateral quickness of Keita, but I'm sure not expecting that out of this big guy.

No draft expert (to say the least), but I think this kid would have to be a dominant defender and above-average rebounder to get a sniff. He'd also need to pair that with some offensive ability (say, Fab's level) while putting on some mass.

Surprised to see he was drafted #2 overall. That is probably a pick the Griz would like to have back. He was dominant in college, run of the mill in the NBA.

"Run of the mill" is putting it very nicely. Guy was the #2 overall pick and has averaged 2.2 pts and 2.7 rebounds over his illustrious career. He's been an absolute bust from day 1. I thought it was a terrible pick then and I think it's one of the all-time worst picks now.

"Run of the mill" is putting it very nicely. Guy was the #2 overall pick and has averaged 2.2 pts and 2.7 rebounds over his illustrious career. He's been an absolute bust from day 1. I thought it was a terrible pick then and I think it's one of the all-time worst picks now.

Yea, they left James Harden, Steph Curry and DeMar DeRozan on the table, hard to argue with your assessment. One of the reasons I love Steph so much is that I thought he was the best player in that draft, his shooting stroke alone was going to win alot of NBA games, I thought. I haven't had the best track record of projecting results, but it was clear to me after that draft that many NBA GMs were just as challenged.

Yea, they left James Harden, Steph Curry and DeMar DeRozan on the table, hard to argue with your assessment. One of the reasons I love Steph so much is that I thought he was the best player in that draft, his shooting stroke alone was going to win alot of NBA games, I thought. I haven't had the best track record of projecting results, but it was clear to me after that draft that many NBA GMs were just as challenged.

I'm pretty awful at judging NBA talent and whose game will translate to the next level. Thabeet never struck me as anything special, and he definitely hasn't turned out to be much of anything in the NBA.

Yea, I'd say Steph has turned out pretty ok so far. ;)

Everybody says NOW that Steph Curry was a no-brainer. He wasn't then.
His ankles were/are made of balsa wood.
And he's very slight of build - so the concerns were whether he could withstand the physicality and rigors of the NBA game, and be able to play and D.

His shooting was never in doubt - it was his ability to stay on the court that was.

Re: Harden - after we completely shut him down in the NCAA's, I kept thinking, THIS guy is gonna be a lottery pick?
Guess that's risk of using a small sample size like one game to judge a player. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom