CJ Fair 35 minutes | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair 35 minutes

I'm not sure how these YOUNG men in such great physical condition can be expected to play 35min a game with all those breaks in the action. . . . . . . . Its a phalicy that playing big minutes wears guys out so long as they are in shape. Have you looked at CJ lately? Looks like he could go 45 without sweating.

Just because he can doesn't mean he should

Umm do we have someone better to play in his stead? Jerami got pulled for taking crappy jump shots and not hustling back on D after words. Roberson got his chance and was lost on defense.

There are times to complain about others not getting a chance but this game wasn't one of them.

I'm not sure how these YOUNG men in such great physical condition can be expected to play 35min a game with all those breaks in the action. . . . . . . . Its a phalicy that playing big minutes wears guys out so long as they are in shape. Have you looked at CJ lately? Looks like he could go 45 without sweating.

His point might be more along the lines that it means that the guys behind him aren't getting any run in order to further their development than CJ can't handle the stress of 35 minutes.

I was disappointed that we didn't get more deep bench time yesterday, but when you can't create separation from a team like High Point you can't sit your regulars down.

The other thing is I think JB is cognizant of certain veteran player's stat lines. We all know that he is more or less a stats genius and is a fiercely loyal individual. I believe that when he has a guy like CJ who has a shot at a variety of big awards he recognizes that a big part of his candidacy is based on the players stats and he will stick with that player to allow him to try to pad his stats.

CJ got 35 minutes last night. If those minutes had only been about the score Ennis would have had more than 29 minutes.

Last edited:
His point might be more along the lines that it means that the guys behind him aren't getting any run in order to further their development than CJ can't handle the stress of 35 minutes.

I was disappointed that we didn't get more deep bench time yesterday, but when you can't create separation from a team like High Point you can't sit your regulars down.

I have just responded to that as he made his original point clear. I agree it would have been nice if Tyler, BJ and Buss were able to get big minutes last night. That said think Roberson getting his chance under fire in a closely contested game during the first half showed us exactly why he isn't playing in most games. Had Jerami not launched bad 3pt shot and the tried to crash the glass on his miss rather than getting back on D Roberson wouldn't have gotten that chance in the first half and rightfully so from what we saw. Big high school stars apprenticeship here for a season or two (except for a select few) that is the system we have lately. Did limited minutes for MCW in season one kill his development? I think not. Although ideally I agree with the premise that it would be great to be able to get these guys more minutes its situational and in todays day and age any team that plays good and shoots well in a game has a chance against anyone because there just is not as much talent gap a there once was and the more talented the less experienced the players tend to be.

Who cares? He's a college kid with another week until the next game, plus all that Christmas food. He'll be recovered.

The other thing is I think JB is cognizant of certain veteran player's stat lines. We all know that he is more or less a stats genius and is a fiercely loyal individual. I believe that when he has a guy like CJ who has a shot at a variety of big awards he recognizes that a big part of his candidacy is based on the players stats and he will stick with that player to allow him to try to pad his stats.

CJ got 35 minutes last night. If those minutes had only been about the score Ennis would have had more than 29 minutes.

not that game vs providence where arinze played about 4 seconds and put up goose eggs.

not that game vs providence where arinze played about 4 seconds and put up goose eggs.

Wasn't AO hurt and didn't start in that game? Time has proven that JB favors his veteran players especially in conference play and down the stretch of close games.

Wouldn't be able to recover if he had a season ending injury because he was playing 35 minutes against High Point

Wouldn't be able to recover if he had a season ending injury because he was playing 35 minutes against High Point

Yah maybe he shouldn't play at all. We should hold him out of every game as well as the rest of our starters. . . . . . . . . you know just incase one of them could wind up getting injured for the season. If CJ goes down in an OOC game against Nova in the first 5min or High Point in the last 5min its going to be a huge hit to the team either way. Look I'm all for getting the deep bench time to develop especially for those just incase scenarios but this is completely the wrong game to make that point as if anything it showed that we need CJ to play big minutes against everyone because Roberson is not ready. When AO went down we didn't have a good back up for him and Rick but honestly 3 years later we will get a look at Riley and I doubt playing him 10min a game would have helped us much in that NCAA tourney. I still think if we had gotten past Futler which was doable we make the FF or NC game which they happened to and played Duke close.

I agree with pfister above, I believe a lot of CJ's minutes are by JB design. JB is intentionally showcasing CJ. A large part of the CJ hype is expressed through stats. And JB is doing his part to make sure that discussion has some good talking points. Be nice to see CJ make all-ACC. Nicer yet, ACC POY. How about some National gigs?

Yes, there can be some developmental downside to the frosh. But lets not forget about the potential positives. When Grant is contemplating his big decision it will be good for SU that the CJ increased involvement model is right there in front of him. When JB tells Grant that next year he will start, play major minutes, and be an all-ACC candidate, Grant will know those words have real value.

Or if he was injured in a 2 hour scrimmage, or walking to class, or falling down the stairs at his Skytop apartment. happens.

Yah maybe he shouldn't play at all. We should hold him out of every game as well as the rest of our starters. . . . . . . . . you know just incase one of them could wind up getting injured for the season. If CJ goes down in an OOC game against Nova in the first 5min or High Point in the last 5min its going to be a huge hit to the team either way. Look I'm all for getting the deep bench time to develop especially for those just incase scenarios but this is completely the wrong game to make that point as if anything it showed that we need CJ to play big minutes against everyone because Roberson is not ready. When AO went down we didn't have a good back up for him and Rick but honestly 3 years later we will get a look at Riley and I doubt playing him 10min a game would have helped us much in that NCAA tourney. I still think if we had gotten past Futler which was doable we make the FF or NC game which they happened to and played Duke close.

I'm saying he shouldn't play 35 minutes against High Point. We all know he's going to play almost every minute come ACC time, there's no need to risk our best player against High Point. And if we actually need CJ to play 35 minutes to beat High Point then our team is in very big trouble.

this is like people who say its a shame some FB player was hurt in a pre season game, and there are too many preseason games. Well, if they turned it into a regular season game in which he was hurt, what's the difference?

Or if he was injured in a 2 hour scrimmage, or walking to class, or falling down the stairs at his Skytop apartment. happens.

Yep or he could get injured in garbage time against High Point. The thing is that one is preventable.

this is like people who say its a shame some FB player was hurt in a pre season game, and there are too many preseason games. Well, if they turned it into a regular season game in which he was hurt, what's the difference?

NFL players barely play in the preseason, exactly the point I'm arguing.

no disrespect intended to the fine student athletes at highpoint but seriously our bench alone should kick their ass by twenty. this was perhaps the last best opportunity to get some deep bench minutes before ACC.

I'm saying he shouldn't play 35 minutes against High Point. We all know he's going to play almost every minute come ACC time, there's no need to risk our best player against High Point. And if we actually need CJ to play 35 minutes to beat High Point then our team is in very big trouble.

The name of the team is meaningless. Watch the game should we take CJ out every time we have a lead? That game wasn't clearly put away until well into the 2nd half and Roberson & DC2 had already proven ineffective. Is it so hard to say OK I get why in this game but it bothers me in other games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom