CJ Unfair | Syracusefan.com

CJ Unfair

Now seriously if Nike starts selling this shirt how does anyone justify not paying the kid a dime?

Really? Then, you may as well scrap the concept/objective of amateurism and try to establish and enforce a salary cap.

This wouldn't be too different from the Ohio State issue, where they can give their players a infinite number of 'awards' or memorabilia-related items, and the kids could sell them through any number of avenues, including through ebay, where designated alum bidders could pay inordinate amounts for worthless items. At that point, you're just throwing in the towel and telling schools 'it's up to you to be creative in how you funnel money to the 'student athletes.'

I'm still not understanding how people don't see the relationship between the athlete and the NCAA as a cooperative one. The players are getting what - $40k per year in education, plus the exposure and experiences commensurate with being a 'celebrity' on a national level. And the opportunity to advance into a high-paying professional situation. That's not enough?

Fair, in this particular instance, is aware he's not being compensated monetarily, and chooses to promote the product anyway. If HE had a problem with this, maybe we should, as well, but Nike isn't even using his actual name. Insinuation or incidental relativity of significant value are arguments you'd have to make and prove.

If there were some way to put proceeds related to things like this into a group trust, for post-graduate dispersion, I wouldn't be too against that. But, if it were on an individual basis, you'd still open things up to unscrupulous schools promising they could offer more fund generating opportunities than the next school. Then where would we be in terms of competition? Things are already not exactly 'fair.' Why make them worse?

Oh, yeah — and I don't get it, either. What's on the back?

I'm still not understanding how people don't see the relationship between the athlete and the NCAA as a cooperative one. The players are getting what - $40k per year in education, plus the exposure and experiences commensurate with being a 'celebrity' on a national level. And the opportunity to advance into a high-paying professional situation. That's not enough?

[/quote]

No not even close! See the next TV deal as to the reason why never mind ticket sales, apparel deals, coaches contracts. The economics are not fair or just or equal in anyway. It is the only industry in the country where "value" is not defined in dollars and cents! It's complete BS!

Isn't that a standard commercially available shirt [not a custom one] that Nike sells, that just happens to have coincidental relevance to CJ?

Isn't that a standard commercially available shirt [not a custom one] that Nike sells, that just happens to have coincidental relevance to CJ?

Did the shirt exist before CJ's dunk last year and the announcer made the "unfair" call?

Really? Then, you may as well scrap the concept/objective of amateurism and try to establish and enforce a salary cap.

This wouldn't be too different from the Ohio State issue, where they can give their players a infinite number of 'awards' or memorabilia-related items, and the kids could sell them through any number of avenues, including through ebay, where designated alum bidders could pay inordinate amounts for worthless items. At that point, you're just throwing in the towel and telling schools 'it's up to you to be creative in how you funnel money to the 'student athletes.'

Fair, in this particular instance, is aware he's not being compensated monetarily, and chooses to promote the product anyway. If HE had a problem with this, maybe we should, as well, but Nike isn't even using his actual name. Insinuation or incidental relativity of significant value are arguments you'd have to make and prove.

If there were some way to put proceeds related to things like this into a group trust, for post-graduate dispersion, I wouldn't be too against that. But, if it were on an individual basis, you'd still open things up to unscrupulous schools promising they could offer more fund generating opportunities than the next school. Then where would we be in terms of competition? Things are already not exactly 'fair.' Why make them worse?

Free markets work. And they are less corrupt than when the free market is prevented since black markets inevitably are created. The NCAA sucks, it isn't fair or just. they've done a hell of a job marketing the concept of amateurism and convincing people like you, though...so good for them I guess

Free markets work. And they are less corrupt than when the free market is prevented since black markets inevitably are created. The NCAA sucks, it isn't fair or just. they've done a hell of a job marketing the concept of amateurism and convincing people like you, though...so good for them I guess

When you sign an LOI, you're buying into the NCAA. If you don't like the deal, don't go to college.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree that the slippery slope would be akin to astroglide and sasha grey.

When you sign an LOI, you're buying into the NCAA. If you don't like the deal, don't go to college.

Really, that's a lazy, bullshit defense of the system. Let me know when the NBA and NFL drop the requirements you need to be out of high school for X number of years before you can be drafted - the system is rigged to make sure colleges get free labor. If you're fine with that, you're willing to support big business abusing labor. College athletics is big business, and the athletes are the labor force.

So, if a kid walks on and doesn't take a scholarship, should he be free to enter into any bargain he wants?

I maybe wrong but a quick google search shows that they are no longer available. There are some on ebay but none in Cuse colors.

If CJ had a problem with the shirt we wouldn't wear it. I like it!

Really, that's a lazy, bullshit defense of the system. Let me know when the NBA and NFL drop the requirements you need to be out of high school for X number of years before you can be drafted - the system is rigged to make sure colleges get free labor. If you're fine with that, you're willing to support big business abusing labor. College athletics is big business, and the athletes are the labor force.

It was directly to the point. Just because it goes against your argument doesn't make it lazy, BS or any short-sighted ideas you may have. I expect all big business should be banned then. God knows how evil they are employing so many hundreds of thousands.

Do you have any idea the number of kids that never make it big vs. those that go on to the NBA? I'd say the NBA kids then get their reward. In the mean time, thank the big evil business for giving free education to so many that otherwise would not be able to afford it. You know , the non-revenue sports as well as those needed to fill the squads on the actual money making sports. Do you want the kids to pay their fair share for these since these cost money and don't make any money?

Think title 9. Where do you think these funds come from to support these venues?

This isn't a CJ Fair shirt. "Unfair" supposedly was a theme for some Nike commercials at one point. I'm sure CJ just picked it because his name is in it.

And let's not forget that our zone is so good it should be illegal.

Did you watch it against 3 of the 4 BE teams we played at the end of the season? Well we're getting another one of those teams next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom