Class of 2009 Head Coaches Where are they now? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2009 Head Coaches Where are they now?

ThruWayWest

Scout Team
In 2009 there were 22 new coaches in Bowl Subdivision College Football. Including our very own Doug Marrone. Only 4 remain with their new 2009 destination. Dabo Sweeney is currently coaching the number 1 team in the nation in the playoff poll, the other is a legendary coach (Bill Snyder) who returned from retirement to take his old job back at Kansas State, Paul Rhoads is on the hot seat at Iowa State (although beating Texas might have helped), and Dan Mullen is doing well at Miss State and is rumored for several openings.

8 of the 22 were fired by the school who hired them in 2009.

10 of the 22 left for other head coaching jobs (grass is greener! they left for "better jobs" or conferences).
>5 of 10 who got other jobs were fired from the first new destination
>2 of the 5 who were not fired quit the destination job (Doug Marrone, Bills: became an assistant at Jacksonville Gary Anderson-Wisconsin; left to become a head coach at Oregon State)
>2 of ten who left for other jobs are still head coach of their initial destination job and 1 is not a head coach but still at the same destination (Dave Clawson- Wake Forest and Chip Kelly Philadelphia Eagles; one is not a head coach as DeWayne Walker left to become a Jaguars assistant)

This was a crazy exercise but I found it fascinating. Hopefully you will enjoy it...Likely I made some errors in the stats...not my strength

However, it just illustrated to me how crazy college football is as an occupation. I know it is a brutal business but looking at it on paper it is insane if you want any kind of stability. Also, what a crap shoot it is that the coach you hire will turn it around and stay with the same program (like many of us hoped for with Doug Marrone).

Here is the story where I got the information:
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2009.html

Here is the data that I researched:

1. Army= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired

2. Auburn= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired

3. Ball State= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired

4. Boston College= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired

5. Bowling Green= New Head Coach; Reason: Left to be head coach at Wake Forest (Current Coach)

6. Clemson= Current Head Coach

7. Eastern Michigan= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired

8. Iowa State= Current Head Coach

9. Kansas State= Current Head Coach

10. Miami (O.) = New Head Coach; Reason: Left for Pitt Job; Fired from Pitt after 2 weeks

11. Mississippi State= Current Head Coach

12. New Mexico= New Head Coach;Reason: Fired; Current Interim Head Coach at Maryland

13. New Mexico State= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for Jacksonville Jaguars NFL Assistant Job

14. Oregon= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for Head Coach of Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)

15. Purdue= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired

16. San Diego State= New Head Coach; Left to be Head Coach at University of Michigan; Fired from University of Michigan

17. Syracuse= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for Buffalo Bills NFL Head Coach; Quit NFL Head Coaching Job; Assistant with Jaguars Offensive Line

18. Tennessee= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for USC; Result: Fired from USC

19. Toledo= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for Illinois; Result: Fired from Illinois

20. Utah State= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for Wisconsin Head Coach; Quit Wisconsin; Result: Head Coach at Oregon State

21. Washington= New Head Coach; Reason: Left for another USC; Fired from USC

22. Wyoming= New Head Coach; Reason: Fired