Clemson and Virginia | Syracusefan.com

Clemson and Virginia

Duke and North Carolina have the same ACC record now as us. This conference is a bear!

oh I'm not really even talking about records - if you watch the games and look at resumes, Clemson and uva are the two best teams in this league

Clemson is quite the story, imo, as I didn't think they'd have this many wins til beyond the mid-way point of conference play. Grantham is playing tremendously as are Mitchell and Reed? Not many seniors from what I know, but very heavy in juniors, so next year could be even better for them.

UVa is a surprise even to me. I didn't think we'd be mid-tier, but did not think the Hoos would be 14-1, either. Guard play from Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome has been good, while Devon Hall and Isaiah Wilkins lead the team in defensive effort. Grad transfer Nigel Johnson adds a different element to Virginia basketball, as he moves up and down the court with more pace then what is usually depicted of UVa. The ability to hit three point shots from nearly anywhere positive side of half-court from multiple players makes defending a tad more difficult. Inside game is starting to show some form of life as Jack Salt and Diakite begin to learn how to go up and finish with quicker, stronger hands. Bench is good, with redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter and Johnson often getting 10-12 minutes each. I'm sure I've left out a few, but hopefully this is yet another year, Carolina SUCKS and Duke swallows in the ACC. Still early, but one can hope.

Clemson is quite the story, imo, as I didn't think they'd have this many wins til beyond the mid-way point of conference play. Grantham is playing tremendously as are Mitchell and Reed? Not many seniors from what I know, but very heavy in juniors, so next year could be even better for them.

UVa is a surprise even to me. I didn't think we'd be mid-tier, but did not think the Hoos would be 14-1, either. Guard play from Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome has been good, while Devon Hall and Isaiah Wilkins lead the team in defensive effort. Grad transfer Nigel Johnson adds a different element to Virginia basketball, as he moves up and down the court with more pace then what is usually depicted of UVa. The ability to hit three point shots from nearly anywhere positive side of half-court from multiple players makes defending a tad more difficult. Inside game is starting to show some form of life as Jack Salt and Diakite begin to learn how to go up and finish with quicker, stronger hands. Bench is good, with redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter and Johnson often getting 10-12 minutes each. I'm sure I've left out a few, but hopefully this is yet another year, Carolina SUCKS and Duke swallows in the ACC. Still early, but one can hope.

Your coach is outstanding!

Your coach is outstanding!

Putting the little skinny kid on Battle last year and making no adjustments when Battle took him to town all second half...outstanding stuff!

Blowing a 15 point second half lead in the dance to a much lower seeded SU team coached by a guy who would be mediocre in Section 3 high school ball...incredible!

Putting the little skinny kid on Battle last year and making no adjustments when Battle took him to town all second half...outstanding stuff!

Blowing a 15 point second half lead in the dance to a much lower seeded SU team coached by a guy who would be mediocre in Section 3 high school ball...incredible!

Why are you acting like a child? Nothing better to do?

Why are you acting like a child? Nothing better to do?

I’m talking hoops. Why does that bother you? Doesn’t fit your narrative?

How could such a great coach get worked so badly by such a bad coach with a weaker team?

How could such a great coach get worked so badly by such a bad coach with a weaker team?

No your not. Your being a punk. Own it.

syracuse is already midway thru the season and has played only 2 true road games. next 2 games are on the road.

Last edited:

I'll agree, we did get worked by your squad, though "every dog has its day" or so goes the narrative... And the elite 8 loss still hurts, but Cooney got hot and Gill or Brogdon got tweaked, if I recall correctly. But there are few other coaches, at this time, that have made the strides Tony Bennett has made, especially when you look at what he took over some 9 years ago. UVa was a train wreck, a mess beyond imagination. But the past 5 years, UVa has won an ACC tourney, 2 "regular season" championships, which as we all know, carry no weight, been a fixture in the NCAA tourney with upper echelon seeds including 2 #1 seeds. It takes time to become elite, and I'll admit UVa is not there yet, but on the cusp. This years team seems more athletic, more polished and more deep. Final four ready, maybe not, but that's tbd... JB has won multiple championships, so "getting worked" might be a bit harsh, as he's a for certain first ballot H.O.F.'er. I enjoy the renewed rivalry of Syracuse and UVa, which was as good as it could get back in the early-mid '80's.

I'll agree, we did get worked by your squad, though "every dog has its day" or so goes the narrative... And the elite 8 loss still hurts, but Cooney got hot and Gill or Brogdon got tweaked, if I recall correctly. But there are few other coaches, at this time, that have made the strides Tony Bennett has made, especially when you look at what he took over some 9 years ago. UVa was a train wreck, a m5 yess beyond imagination. But the past 5 years, UVa has won an ACC tourney, 2 "regular season" championships, which as we all know, carry no weight, been a fixture in the NCAA tourney with upper echelon seeds including 2 #1 seeds. It takes time to become elite, and I'll admit UVa is not there yet, but on the cusp. This years team seems more athletic, more polished and more deep. Final four ready, maybe not, but that's tbd... JB has won multiple championships, so "getting worked" might be a bit harsh, as he's a for certain first ballot H.O. .'er. I enjoy the renewed rivalry of Syracuse and UVa, which was as good as it could get back in the early-mid '80's.

I have no problem with UVA, they’re a good program and I think Bennett is good.

The guy I was replying to was trashing Boeheim in yesterday’s game thread. He told me multiple CNY High School coaches run better offenses and referred to Boeheim as “your coach”. When he came in here praising Bennett(which didn’t seem very genuine to me based on his anti-Boeheim angle), I had to question how such a great coach could lose to such a bad coach and pointed out a big reason why UVA lost.

I'll agree, we did get worked by your squad, though "every dog has its day" or so goes the narrative... And the elite 8 loss still hurts, but Cooney got hot and Gill or Brogdon got tweaked, if I recall correctly. But there are few other coaches, at this time, that have made the strides Tony Bennett has made, especially when you look at what he took over some 9 years ago. UVa was a train wreck, a mess beyond imagination. But the past 5 years, UVa has won an ACC tourney, 2 "regular season" championships, which as we all know, carry no weight, been a fixture in the NCAA tourney with upper echelon seeds including 2 #1 seeds. It takes time to become elite, and I'll admit UVa is not there yet, but on the cusp. This years team seems more athletic, more polished and more deep. Final four ready, maybe not, but that's tbd... JB has won multiple championships, so "getting worked" might be a bit harsh, as he's a for certain first ballot H.O. .'er. I enjoy the renewed rivalry of Syracuse and UVa, which was as good as it could get back in the early-mid '80's.

Coach Bennett is a first class guy and talented coach . He has done a great job and his accomplishments are not lost on objective fans.

Coach Bennett is a first class guy and talented coach . He has done a great job and his accomplishments are not lost on objective fans.

Why did he lose his last two games to underdog Syracuse teams? Still don’t want to talk about it?

I have no problem with UVA, they’re a good program and I think Bennett is good.

The guy I was replying to was trashing Boeheim in yesterday’s game thread. He told me multiple CNY High School coaches run better offenses and referred to Boeheim as “your coach”. When he came in here praising Bennett(which didn’t seem very genuine to me based on his anti-Boeheim angle), I had to question how such a great coach could lose to such a bad coach and pointed out a big reason why UVA lost.
Fair enough and understood. I'm intrigued to see how we match up. Battle could give us fits, but I think Diakite has added some weight and Salt has matured, though still has a propensity to foul foolishly. Should be a good game, with defense leading the way.

No. Even if it is a close game, that will not be a *good* game. Unless by good you mean *ugly*
I like defense. Seeing teams and coaches, mine and yours, trying to find ways to counter is good. I don't mind up and down the court games, but if you don't have teams that can control pace, make transition a treasured gift, see some banging on the inside then the 98-96's will get boring and pedestrian. So like I said, should be fun.

I'll agree, we did get worked by your squad, though "every dog has its day" or so goes the narrative... And the elite 8 loss still hurts, but Cooney got hot and Gill or Brogdon got tweaked, if I recall correctly. But there are few other coaches, at this time, that have made the strides Tony Bennett has made, especially when you look at what he took over some 9 years ago. UVa was a train wreck, a mess beyond imagination. But the past 5 years, UVa has won an ACC tourney, 2 "regular season" championships, which as we all know, carry no weight, been a fixture in the NCAA tourney with upper echelon seeds including 2 #1 seeds. It takes time to become elite, and I'll admit UVa is not there yet, but on the cusp. This years team seems more athletic, more polished and more deep. Final four ready, maybe not, but that's tbd... JB has won multiple championships, so "getting worked" might be a bit harsh, as he's a for certain first ballot H.O. .'er. I enjoy the renewed rivalry of Syracuse and UVa, which was as good as it could get back in the early-mid '80's.

At the end of the day, winning is the only thing that matters. And, after years of being relatively irrelevant in the world of college hoops, Bennett has put UVA back on the map and a program to be annually reckoned with. Now, that being said, other than UVA fans, I doubt very much anyone that doesn't have a connection to the program can stand to watch their style of play. Being objective, it's flat out brutal to watch. Though, one can say watching the Orange and its recent style is just as brutal. As mentioned though, winning is what ultimately matters, and you guys are doing that, just as you cited.

I think it should be pretty easy to forecast. They are a good team and we aren’t. They will probably play well and we won’t.

You can still get Clemson at 350-1 to win the national title.

Longshot, but good value compared to what is out there. Also a good bet if you are on a site that allows you to gain a profit via an early cash out as odds rise. At #14 in KP, and about to go in the top 20, I expect the odds to start moving up fairly quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom