Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker)

Yup because that keeps ACC above the 15? Team minimum that is in their contract with ESPN to not do a look in and reevaluate money until 2036 if I’m not mistaken
feel like if 2-3 others leave it's all moot anyway and feel like this is orchestrated now. The "teams who feel like they are worth more elsewhere" vs the "teams that are worth more being in the league as is" is the fight

feel like if 2-3 others leave it's all moot anyway and feel like this is orchestrated now. The "teams who feel like they are worth more elsewhere" vs the "teams that are worth more being in the league as is" is the fight

Right but the GOR is pretty rock solid….

Because of that ESPN is still on the hook for that $$$$ out until 2036 by adding those teams.

That gives a chance for all of the other teams to theoretically find a landing spot

tenor.gif

it's over, just a question of what the surrender looks like for Syracuse/BC/Pitt and the other remnants. I wish Wildhack would take a Gavitt like approach and think down the road. We're not going to be in a big time conference. What makes us tick into the 2030s as a viable operation. IMO, it's re-regionalizing our sports. Not sure it's the most lucrative initially but it may be our path forward
Loser plan of last resort while pining for a yesterday that ain’t coming back

Exactly

Which we found out with the FSU lawsuit, the ACC is in fact willing to negotiate an exit fee…whether they intentionally said you can buy your rights back or not, the cat is out of the bag
Yup. And the next few months or years will just be sabre rattling while both the ACC and the schools negotiate an exit and amount that is acceptable to both while FSU and Clemson get commitments from either the SEC or Big10 to join.

"Dang, did I really sign that contract?
I don't like it now, so I'll just go to court to get out of it."

Yeah... ;)
This happens all the time in law.

Right but the GOR is pretty rock solid….

Because of that ESPN is still on the hook for that $$$$ out until 2036 by adding those teams.

That gives a chance for all of the other teams to theoretically find a landing spot

Unless they opt out in 2027 which is built into the contract per a prior poster on this thread. They have to announce it by Feb 2025 but that's another potential wrench that can get tossed in.

Unless they opt out in 2027 which is built into the contract per a prior poster on this thread. They have to announce it by Feb 2025 but that's another potential wrench that can get tossed in.

Only think that can happen IF they fall below the team threshold

Could be wrong on that tho

I Agree its a matter of when not if, ACC is on borrowed time. Wildhack is a smart guy he knows the score and I am sure is working on contingency plans. B12 will likely get their pick off the rest of the ACC that doesn't make the SEC or B10 cut. Ther commissioner has made it a clear they want an East coast specifically NE contingent, thats SU's best bet most likely.
The ACC makes more money than the Big 12 and the Big 12 has garbage markets outside of the members joining next year.

Need a nationwide fan boycott of college sports. Nobody attend or watch college athletics for a season.
Yeah I know you could never get everyone onboard
but that’s my solution.

Not when they start picking off ACC teams
If the ACC can just hold together until the Big 12 media deal comes up, we'll be in a stronger position. Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado couldn't command a good deal when it was in a conference with Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA. They're suddenly going to be world beaters with Iowa State, UCF and Cincinnati?

The Big 12 and ACC should just merge once we learn who is leaving the ACC.

Loser plan of last resort while pining for a yesterday that ain’t coming back
Well the today stinks, the tomorrow isn't looking better.

I'm not sure why anyone is so against trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube. What exactly is compelling about the status quo even? The ACC has frankly stunk for Syracuse other than a fat check we get to underwrite our programs. There hasn't been any ROI in the ACC vs say UConn who has what 2 national championships since their programs "imploded".

I get the football has to be subsidized but to what end is my question. It really won't matter ultimately because in a date in the future our program will be out of the big 2 conferences. It'll be a question of how much little we are getting at that point.

My take is that Clemson‘s attorneys are just as incompetent as the FSU attorneys.

They want a contract invalidated because it turns out it wasn’t a good deal for them.

That isn’t how things work. They will both lose.
Those attorneys are collecting fees, billable hours, whether they win or not.

The ACC makes more money than the Big 12 and the Big 12 has garbage markets outside of the members joining next year.

They do now but what does it look like after Clemson, FSU, UNC and UVA bolt? The teams left are going to be looking for stability, the ACC wont have anyone to add that remotely moves the needle. B12 can likely re-open its deal if it adds additional schools and could add a whole new part of the country.

Those attorneys are collecting fees, billable hours, whether they win or not.
But that is built into the cake. The schools know that they have to pay the lawyers so that they can negotiate an exit fee that saves them money even after they pay the attorneys.

Brand name and actual eyeballs will matter a lot more when all these deals have to get recut. Again the fair / smart thing is for a group of 64 or whatever the number is negotiated as a group like the nfl. Instead they’ve let the tv networks play a game with them all because everyone thinks they’re better than everyone else. If they think a premiere league style approach where everyone else is relegated will make them more money….they will go for it. But you’ll alienate a lot of fanbases and I don’t see how that ultimately grows the whole pie.

Also the big ten will jettison schools like Rutgers the first chance they get. The old way of tv markets doesn’t matter anymore. Those carriage deals are worth less and less. It’ll be about actual fans subscribing to deals, not forcing an entire region through a cable deal. It’s why SU is focused on brand expansion and winning right now in football. It’s money well spent if the return is the affiliation ten years from now.

The Big 12 and ACC should just merge once we learn who is leaving the ACC.
The "All Country Conference" with 3 divisions of 9 each?

Assuming Virginia & North Carolina to the B1G, and Clemson, FSU, VPI & NC State to the SEC.

East:
Boston College, Central Florida, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia.

Central:
Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Oklahoma State, TCU

West:
Arizona, Baylor, Arizona State, BYU, Cal, Colorado, Stanford, Texas Tech, Utah

They do now but what does it look like after Clemson, FSU, UNC and UVA bolt? The teams left are going to be looking for stability, the ACC wont have anyone to add that remotely moves the needle. B12 can likely re-open its deal if it adds additional schools and could add a whole new part of the country.
I just don’t see how the Big 10 gives them a deal that’s worth it without also getting rid of some of their dead weight.