Clint Dempsey refusing to play for Fulham | Syracusefan.com

Clint Dempsey refusing to play for Fulham

Bortukal

All Conference
I knew he wanted a transfer to a Champions League team, but I didn't know the situation was this tense. Tough spot to be in for Fulham. I wonder what will happen if they don't get a good offer for him.

SI.com

He has 1 year left one his contract, is 29 years old, and Fulham are asking too much it appears.

It's a tough situation to be in but the media seems to have a bunch of stories that don't quite add up. 1) He wants CL football 2) He's been linked to Liverpool. At the present moment we (Liverpool) do not have CL football to offer. LFC also have apperently not even lodged a formal bid for him. Not sure if that's because FFC have named their price and we decided to not bid a lower amount or precisely why.

As a Liverpool fan I'd love to have him. As a football fan in general, I hate when players do this. Javi Mascherano did the same thing to us a couple years ago and it's no fun to be a fan of the club the wantaway player belongs to.

Curious if Arsenal may splash some of their RVP cash to get him and help replace some of the 30 goals they just lost. Otherwise I'm not sure who they'll have to pick up that slack.

He has 1 year left one his contract, is 29 years old, and Fulham are asking too much it appears.

It's a tough situation to be in but the media seems to have a bunch of stories that don't quite add up. 1) He wants CL football 2) He's been linked to Liverpool. At the present moment we (Liverpool) do not have CL football to offer. LFC also have apperently not even lodged a formal bid for him. Not sure if that's because FFC have named their price and we decided to not bid a lower amount or precisely why.

As a Liverpool fan I'd love to have him. As a football fan in general, I hate when players do this. Javi Mascherano did the same thing to us a couple years ago and it's no fun to be a fan of the club the wantaway player belongs to.

Curious if Arsenal may splash some of their RVP cash to get him and help replace some of the 30 goals they just lost. Otherwise I'm not sure who they'll have to pick up that slack.
Arsenal was mentioned early on as a destination for him, then the talk kind of faded away unceremoniously and centered on Liverpool. Arsenal would be a nice fit, and as you said they are in need of goals and should have some cash to spend.

Arsenal was mentioned early on as a destination for him, then the talk kind of faded away unceremoniously and centered on Liverpool. Arsenal would be a nice fit, and as you said they are in need of goals and should have some cash to spend.

Right but Arsenal, Liverpool, or anyone else won't be willing to pay over the odds to have him now when they can get him for much less in 6 months, or free transfer next off season. FFC are acting as if they are in a position of power and decidely are not.

Side note. What's your prediction for Chelsea next year?

Side note. What's your prediction for Chelsea next year?
Tough one. So many variables. Their core players are aged/aging and while Oscar, Hazard and Marin are good, Chelsea has a history of high-profile signees ting the bed (Shevchenko, Torres). I really like DiMatteo, though. Hopefully Abromovich actually keeps him around for a while. The musical chair game he's played with managers is aggravating.

Anyway, I'll go the optimistic route and say that the new signees blend in together, Ramirez continues his form from last season, Torres finds his again, and John Terry avoids any arrests. I'll take Chelsea to finish third in EPL, repeat in the FA and make it to the quarterfinals of the CL.

Edit: And what do you think we'll see from Liverpool?

And what do you think we'll see from Liverpool?

I really like Brendan Rodgers as coach. Running the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with inverted wingers is alot more exciting and a better fit for our players vs the 4-4-2 and lobbing the ball over the top we saw last year.

Seems we'll now be playing the "tika taka" style with most passes on the deck vs everything in the air. New boy Borini has loads of pace and combined with Suarez will cause issues for opposing defenders. If/when Carroll finds a game we'll look decidely different as he slows things down a bit. Downing may or may not be finding his way at Anfield which would be a bonus from the wing. Gerrard is being used in a more attacking role which is a much better fit, Shelvey is turning useful but our other signing Allen will likely be slotting in next to Lucas deeper in the midfield and pulling the strings. Lucas returning is huge for us as he really keeps everything in line. Like our top 3 or 4 mids but beyond that Adam is useless and Spearing just isn't enough quality. If(when) Gerrard gets hurt we'll need someone to step in. This is where Dempsey would be needed or perhaps if we figure out this loan for Sahin. Our back 4 is class. Johnson and Enrique can both come forward and do well in attack and Agger and Skrtyl are class at CB. Not much depth behind that though as Carra has slowed down quite a bit.

If we still healthy I could see us maybe sneak into 4th but our brutal first 5 games will be telling. I have no visons of challengng the Manchesters at the top this year yet though. Still need more talent in the ranks but if some younger guys step up we should be back in CL regularly in the next couple years.

Definitely excited though, and hopeful that we don't hit 30 posts this year again. We should be alot more potent in attack this year at any rate.

Earlier today he tweeted out something like don't believe what you hear and the truth will come out. Fulham definitely went out strong with the PR moves. 2 sides to every story.

Earlier today he tweeted out something like don't believe what you hear and the truth will come out. Fulham definitely went out strong with the PR moves. 2 sides to every story.

Summer transfer market = silly season

The thing is, Fulham just cut their own legs out in bargaining by doing this. They can no longer say "well we'll just play his contract out then". Really bizarre move but from Jol it isn't that surprising I guess.

The thing is, Fulham just cut their own legs out in bargaining by doing this. They can no longer say "well we'll just play his contract out then". Really bizarre move but from Jol it isn't that surprising I guess.
Totally agree.

Unless they had already sold someone I'm forgetting about for big money, they've already spent the RvP money on Giroud, Podolski, and Cazorla. Though they may be shipping Song out for a decent fee too I hear.

+1 for the insight on the Liverpool and Chelsea sides guys.

Unless they had already sold someone I'm forgetting about for big money, they've already spent the RvP money on Giroud, Podolski, and Cazorla. Though they may be shipping Song out for a decent fee too I hear.

Oh yeah, I forgot that they got Podolski. That's a nice pickup.

If that was the RVP money than what had they done with the money from Cesc and Nasri?

As a German fan I love Podolski but also as a German fan I know he's got his shortcomings, namely issues putting the ball on the frame.

If that was the RVP money than what had they done with the money from Cesc and Nasri?

As a German fan I love Podolski but also as a German fan I know he's got his shortcomings, namely issues putting the ball on the frame.

hah those ARE two kinda big deals I totally forgot. But the Board and/or Wenger are notoriously stingy anyway. If only they had re-invested some of that money back into the team at the time, maybe RvP would have been secure..

hah those ARE two kinda big deals I totally forgot. But the Board and/or Wenger are notoriously stingy anyway. If only they had re-invested some of that money back into the team at the time, maybe RvP would have been secure..

Their board seems to be tight on the purse strings. I'm sure Arsene would buy if he could. I forgot they still have Bentdner though, wonder how he'll be used.

would love to see arsenal grab clint... i like podolski but he is better suited for the bs .. his finishing is inconsistant and he wasn't all that much on form for germany in the euro..

The problem with Arsenal is their salary situation. I believe they don't pay players more than 60K per week, when top players command $100+. So this becomes an annual occurrence. Cesc and others can say it's about trophies, but if the group of people who left during the last 2 years were still there, that would be a hell of a side and would be competing in Champions League and for the EPL.

The problem with Arsenal is their salary situation. I believe they don't pay players more than 60K per week, when top players command $100+. So this becomes an annual occurrence. Cesc and others can say it's about trophies, but if the group of people who left during the last 2 years were still there, that would be a hell of a side and would be competing in Champions League and for the EPL.

I don't think those numbers are quite correct but the point is. Arsenal is probably quite similar to Liverpool which will pay some players 100-110k max but players at City, Chelsea, Barca, Madrid, PSG, etc. are on contracts from 150-200k per week. Some of City's bench guys (Milner, Barry, etc.) are on bigger contracts than highest paid guys at most clubs. It will be interesting to see if the financial fair play rules actually have an effect on this. Seems like Chelsea is coming back to Earth on player contracts now (letting guys walk) but when big money takes over those are the types of contracts happen.

I don't think those numbers are quite correct but the point is. Arsenal is probably quite similar to Liverpool which will pay some players 100-110k max but players at City, Chelsea, Barca, Madrid, PSG, etc. are on contracts from 150-200k per week. Some of City's bench guys (Milner, Barry, etc.) are on bigger contracts than highest paid guys at most clubs. It will be interesting to see if the financial fair play rules actually have an effect on this. Seems like Chelsea is coming back to Earth on player contracts now (letting guys walk) but when big money takes over those are the types of contracts happen.

I was talking pounds rather than dollars but can't figure out where the symbol is on my keyboard shortcuts. Generally speaking, teams like Arsenal have a max for the team that is about 1/2 of what the top clubs pay their starters, and those few elite stars out there get about 3 times what they make at a club like Spurs or Arsenal. FFP is going to require bigger stadiums and more licensing deals. It won't really rein in spending unless a couple big clubs go broke.

I was talking pounds rather than dollars but can't figure out where the symbol is on my keyboard shortcuts. Generally speaking, teams like Arsenal have a max for the team that is about 1/2 of what the top clubs pay their starters, and those few elite stars out there get about 3 times what they make at a club like Spurs or Arsenal. FFP is going to require bigger stadiums and more licensing deals. It won't really rein in spending unless a couple big clubs go broke.

I was talking pounds as well. Liverpool have a few players on 100k+ per week and I'd venture to guess Arsenal do as well. City has some guys around 200k per week. Yaya Toure is 190k, Tevez is north of that figure, Rooney @ Man U is 190k, Terry @ Chelsea is 130k, Lampard and Gerrard are both ~135k, etc. It's extremely hard to find exact figures of EPL player wages though in terms of per week.

I was talking pounds as well. Liverpool have a few players on 100k+ per week and I'd venture to guess Arsenal do as well. City has some guys around 200k per week. Yaya Toure is 190k, Tevez is north of that figure, Rooney @ Man U is 190k, Terry @ Chelsea is 130k, Lampard and Gerrard are both ~135k, etc. It's extremely hard to find exact figures of EPL player wages though in terms of per week.

City massively overpay. Chelsea have in the past, but they are cutting back. I think Hazard is around 100K pounds/week; Victor Moses is getting 60K. The top guys like Lampard get around 150K. Rooney is at 200K, and that's what Van Persie wanted. But Cavani was asking 150K of Chelsea and they refused.

City massively overpay. Chelsea have in the past, but they are cutting back. I think Hazard is around 100K pounds/week; Victor Moses is getting 60K. The top guys like Lampard get around 150K. Rooney is at 200K, and that's what Van Persie wanted. But Cavani was asking 150K of Chelsea and they refused.

City massively overpay because A) they can and B) they have to. Noone wanted to sign with a smallish club with no history when the Sheikh took over.

Im not sure the wages kept Chelsea from working on Cavani as much as the 78 million pound price tag attached to him by Napoli. I'd venture to guess Torres is making somewhere in the 150k range.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...elsea-told-Edinson-Cavani-cost-78million.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom