Marty Januszkiewicz | Syracusefan.com

Marty Januszkiewicz

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I attended a charity event last night in Center City Philadelphia.

At one point, while standing in line for the buffet, I found myself next to former Eagles QB Ron Jaworski and his wife. I knew that Jaworski was from Lackawanna NY, so I asked him if he knew former SU fullback, Marty Januszkiewicz.

He said "Yes! Of course! He was my fullback in high school!"

He raved about him - said he was big and tough and a great runner.

He told me that Ben Schwartzwalder recruited him to play QB at Syracuse University but that he turned down the offer because he wanted to throw the ball.

We had nice time talking about Syracuse and CNY.

When I was a kid, Marty Januszkiewicz was one of my SU heroes.

His 155 yard game at Penn State in 1970 - when the Orange upset the Lions 24-7 - was one of the great moments in my young life.

I will never forget that game and I will never forget the "Lackawanna Locomotive"

V36E74VLLBFGBOFJAPGQVBCG5A.JPG

I attended a charity event last night in Center City Philadelphia.

At one point, while standing in line for the buffet, I found myself next to former Eagles QB Ron Jaworski and his wife. I knew that Jaworski was from Lackawanna NY, so I asked him if he knew former SU fullback, Marty Januszkiewicz.

He said "Yes! Of course! He was my fullback in high school!"

He raved about him - said he was big and tough and a great runner.

He told me that Ben Schwartzwalder recruited him to play QB at Syracuse University but that he turned down the offer because he wanted to throw the ball.

We had nice time talking about Syracuse and CNY.

When I was a kid, Marty Januszkiewicz was one of my SU heroes.

His 155 yard game at Penn State in 1970 - when the Orange upset the Lions 24-7 - was one of the great moments in my young life.

I will never forget that game and I will never forget the "Lackawanna Locomotive"
Geez, just add Jaws to the laundry list of SU QB misses: Michael Vick, Colt Brennan, Rod Rutherford
(I am saying this in jest)

Marty and Roger Praetorious were the star players I remember when I first started following Syracuse sports. Glory days!
Is Roger Praetorious still around? I knew he was a stockbroker in the 80's. Nice guy

Last edited:
Is Roger Praetorious still around? I knew he was a stockbroker in the 80's. Nice guy
Roger retired from Merrill Lynch several years ago and still lives in Jamesville. He and his wife Jane also do some wintering in Florida (his son lives there). And yes, he's a nice guy. Very good friend. I attended his wedding and he was at mine.

Steve Webster was part of that group. Those were the days of my youth with Joel Mareiniss doing play by play. Go Orange Forever!!!!!
Steve Webster was a terrific athlete.

I always thought that he got a raw deal with the Orange. He should have played a lot more than he did.

I remember a game in 1972 when Marty J got hurt and Steve came into the game.

He was unbelievable - had well over 100 yards rushing and showed the kind of speed the team really needed that year.

Steve Webster was part of that group. Those were the days of my youth with Joel Mareiniss doing play by play. Go Orange Forever!!!!!
Tommy Meyers was playing in that era as well I believe. Was Jim Ridlon working with Joel or did he do color later? Really enjoyed his takes as well.

Tommy Meyers was playing in that era as well I believe. Was Jim Ridlon working with Joel or did he do color later? Really enjoyed his takes as well.
Tommy Meyers was on the 1970 and 71 teams.

Ridlon was not working with Joel, who handled the games by himself at the time on WSYR.

The Orange actually had two broadcasts for awhile with Red Parton handling the play-by-play on the Syracuse Football Network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom