Closing it out | Syracusefan.com

Closing it out

SWC75

Bored Historian
So we are 6-5 with two more games against teams we should clearly beat, (but watch-out for the ospreys: when both teams are dependent on the threes falling, anything can happen). That would leave us at 8-5 going into the full conference season which will be 18 straight games against power conference teams, against which we are 1-5, (counting the Hoyas as a power conference team). To guarantee an overall winning record in the regular season, (as opposed to a winning regular season record), we'd have to break even in those 18 games. To have a shot at the NCAA tournament, we'd probably have to go at least 10-8, maybe 11-7.

Off of what we've seen so far, both goals seem unlikely. There's always the ACC tournament but we've never made a run there, (and are 2-5 overall). obviously it will take considerable improvement to even have a shot at these accomplishments. The area where that improvement is most likely to occur and would have the biggest impact is with our big men. Sidibe isn't going to turn into Rakeem Christmas any time soon but he could at least become more consistent. Edwards could be quite a player someday. We can only hope that he'll improve enough to be an option down the stretch of this year. Guerrier passes the look test. When will he pass the play test? If we ever got a decent inside game, (defense, rebounding and scoring) to go with our outside game,w e'll be a completely different team.

But we do have a secret weapon. Joe Girard is hitting 97% of his free throws. it brings back memories of when GMAC was our "closer", our Mariano Rivera. If we could just get into the final minute with a lead, all we had to do was inbound to Gerry, he'd get fouled, make two free throws in a machine like fashion and we'd win. I used to break into a smile when the clock went 0:59 and we had a 2-3 point lead. the other team was thinking, "Hey, we just need to get a couple of stops and make a couple of shot and we win!" They were like a frog that doesn't know the water is boiling. I knew and all SU fans knew the game was over. We could do that with Joe and if the other team tried to deny him the ball we've also got Buddy (83%) and Elijah (77%).

If we ever get into a game that in doubt in the final minutes and can engineer a lead going into that final minute, we'll be very hard to beat. Even if we had to overcome such a lead, with three strong three point guys, we're also built to make a comeback in that situation. This team could have an excellent record in close game - if we can get into them.

One other thing to look for is the penultimate minute of a close game. I've felt over the years that more close games are won or lost in the 39th minute than the 40th because what happens in the 39th minute determines the strategy for the 40th minute and there can be some very different situations that result. Get it done in the 39th minute and you get to close it out in the 40th minute.

Great post...optimistically realistic, or realistically optimistic

I sure hope our bigs continue to improve and can concentrate on rebounding

SWC you always seem to put things in an interesting perspective

Lets Go Orange !!!

OO44

I think this team is definitely going to improve and win games, but it may not be in time for this year. (Sob) I think Bourama does good things for us. He is going AFTER the ball! But he fouls a lot. Edwards has some nifty moves. But he is young and thin. We are vegetarians at the center position. No meat.

But I love your take on Joe! He is definitely our not-so-secret weapon. When he is at the line, I feel I don’t even need to do “magic fingers.” It’s like they’re unnecessary with him! SMH. Now, if only we could be in some close games so we could try out this weapon! :)

But we do have a secret weapon.
3 point shooters are rarely fouled. both buddy and joe are good ft shooters who seldom get to the line.
both are going to have to take their game inside the arc and get (like olivia newton john said) physical .

For SU to win 10-11 conference games the league has to be awful, and that in itself will keep us out of the tournament. We can’t pick up enough quality wins in conference. Only Duke, Louisville and Virginia are decent teams and maybe Florida State. If SU loses to those four teams and still lose another 4-5 games against bad teams, their chances are slim to make the tourney. They would have to win 12-13 games in conference and that is not happening. There’s too many poor teams to lose too many games.

3 point shooters are rarely fouled. both buddy and joe are good ft shooters who seldom get to the line.
both are going to have to take their game inside the arc and get (like olivia newton john said) physical .

They get fouled a lot if you can get the ball to them in the final minute of a game with a lead.

You have to believe they are magic.

The ACC has a lot of weak teams. Down year for the conference. We play most of the weakest teams twice.

Zero out of conference wins paired with beating the dregs of the ACC isn't going to help us get into the tournament.

Don't get fooled by beating up these last 3 weak teams. This edition of Orange does not have much ACC level talent. It will show in conference play. Hate to say this but it's reality. Undersized/muscled at the 4 and 5 spots is going to be exposed. Slow guards. No bench. OK, I'll quit here before I get too depressed.

problem at end of games will be getting ball to joe. no doubt he will be double teamed on the inbounds play.

Looking at the schedule ND is a toss up game, but at home I'd say decent chance at a win, VT lost a lot and were supposed to be terrible, 9-3 record but haven't really beat anyone but clemson. Lost to BYU and Dayton, this game being at home I'd say we win. Not beating Virginia on the road (or at home). Beat BC at home, VT on the road another toss up obviously have to win it for any shot at the tournament. ND on the road another toss up that has to be had. Beat Pitt at home. Clemson on the road won't be easy but again need to win against arguably the worst ACC team. Not beating duke, win against wake at home, NC St at home should be a win, FSU & LOU on the road both will be loses, Gt at home and pitt on the road should be wins, UNC at home might be out best shot for a big name win but cole anthony is probably back and if they are even close to the bubble they'll be on a tear, win @BC and @MIA. With the ACC being a bit down no reason we can't win 10-12 ACC games. This team could win 12 possibly 14 games.. or 4-6 games. I assume a lot of close games and if we can finish them out this could be a decent year.

Looking at the schedule ND is a toss up game, but at home I'd say decent chance at a win, VT lost a lot and were supposed to be terrible, 9-3 record but haven't really beat anyone but clemson. Lost to BYU and Dayton, this game being at home I'd say we win. Not beating Virginia on the road (or at home). Beat BC at home, VT on the road another toss up obviously have to win it for any shot at the tournament. ND on the road another toss up that has to be had. Beat Pitt at home. Clemson on the road won't be easy but again need to win against arguably the worst ACC team. Not beating duke, win against wake at home, NC St at home should be a win, FSU & LOU on the road both will be loses, Gt at home and pitt on the road should be wins, UNC at home might be out best shot for a big name win but cole anthony is probably back and if they are even close to the bubble they'll be on a tear, win @BC and @MIA. With the ACC being a bit down no reason we can't win 10-12 ACC games. This team could win 12 possibly 14 games.. or 4-6 games. I assume a lot of close games and if we can finish them out this could be a decent year.

I'll take it.

We will be favored 4-5 points against Notre Dame and Virginia Tech at the dome.

Don't get fooled by beating up these last 3 weak teams. This edition of Orange does not have much ACC level talent. It will show in conference play. Hate to say this but it's reality. Undersized/muscled at the 4 and 5 spots is going to be exposed. Slow guards. No bench. OK, I'll quit here before I get too depressed.
Thank you! Sheesh.

Thank you! Sheesh.

1577064426677.png

Nice post SWC! Closers...I wish this team had closers. (in recruiting too!!)

Boeheim might do well to play this EPIC scene from Glengarry Glen Ross every now and then before games.

"3rd prize is you're Boeheimed!!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom