Class of 2015 - Closing out the Class | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Closing out the Class

tep624

Living Legend
Ok so we all know Jake Pickard is #1, 1A, and 1B as far as wants to close out this class. We have 4 spots left from my calculations with Perkins coming back into the fold and Clark staying committed.

So where do we go from here? Looks like we're still looking to fill the spot Najee Clayton would have had, and my guess is that explains the late interest in Whitner who looks like the staff is targeting as a strong safety.

So we have:

1) DE - Jake Pickard
2) Safety - Whitner?
3) LB - Doyle Grimes?
4) WR (Guess)

Now I assume Doyle Grimes is back in the mix, although I'm not sold he's coming here. So I wonder if we have any other surprises hanging out there. Does the staff take a flyer on Kenny Carter? Is there a WR out there? I thought we were going to go after another WR then it seems like the trail has gone cold there.

Looks like Nate Howard isn't happening. Tyree St. Louis was another high profile kid that OV'ed that we haven't heard a peep from.

Should be an interesting 5 or 6 days.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a push for some secondary help.
Yep. I think you might see us get involved with a couple more DBs.

Ok so we all know Jake Pickard is #1, 1A, and 1B as far as wants to close out this class. We have 4 spots left from my calculations with Perkins coming back into the fold and Clark staying committed.

So where do we go from here? Looks like we're still looking to fill the spot Najee Clayton would have had, and my guess is that explains the late interest in Whitner who looks like the staff is targeting as a strong safety.

So we have:

1) DE - Jake Pickard
2) Safety - Whitner?
3) LB - Doyle Grimes?
4) WR (Guess)

Now I assume Doyle Grimes is back in the mix, although I'm not sold he's coming here. So I wonder if we have any other surprises hanging out there. Does the staff take a flyer on Kenny Carter? Is there a WR out there? I thought we were going to go after another WR then it seems like the trail has gone cold there.

Looks like Nate Howard isn't happening. Tyree St. Louis was another high profile kid that OV'ed that we haven't heard a peep from.

If we miss on Pickard (which I don't think we do) I think we bring in Carter.

I don't think Grimes is coming here. For some reason I doubt we are still recruiting him, although could be wrong.

I think Whitner, as well as another secondary guy close out the class with Pickard.

Why would they not take at shot at the QB from New Mexico with huge numbers, and no offers? Can't have too much QB competition.

So we have:

1) DE - Jake Pickard
2) Safety - Whitner?
3) LB - Doyle Grimes?
4) WR (Guess)

Good topic.

I don't have time to do an in depth analysis, but given all the DBs we have lost recently, yes, I would think we are looking to add a CB or maybe a safety. Almost sure we will take one. Maybe one of each.

With AE and MK out of the program, I think we need help at QB as well. John O'Korn has fallen off the face of the earth but I think he is still a real consideration. Last I could find, Michigan was expressing interest. He might elect to stay at UH for the spring semester and then transfer. Perhaps Michael O'Connor too, who is taking this semester off to decide what his next move will be.

Doubt they will try a HS QB recruit...if we bring someone in, I think it will be someone with some experience at the college level, who would presumably be ready to play almost immediately.

Last edited:
sutomcat said:
Good topic. I don't have time to do an in depth analysis, but given all the DBs we have lost recently, yes, I would think we are looking to add a CB or maybe a safety. Almost sure we will take one. Maybe one of each. With AE and MK out of the program, I think we need help at QB as well. John O'Korn has fallen off the face of the earth but I think he is still a real consideration. Last I could find, Michigan was expressing interest. He might elect to stay at UH for the spring semester and then transfer. Perhaps Michael O'Connor too, who is taking this semester off to decide what his next move will be. Doubt they will try a HS QB recruit...if we bring someone in, I think it will be someone with some experience at the college level, who would presumably be ready to play almost immediately.

fwiw I heard that interest in those qb's has been a bit blown out of proportion, and we aren't all that interested because they would have to sit out a season. Personally I thought that would work out even better since we have Hunt coming back for his a Senior year. Bit of a head scratcher if you ask me. Not really sure what the plan is for 2016, but you would assume if they brought in O'Conner you could have a qb for 3 years. Now we're going to have to hope Long develops, or Dungey develops. We're really limiting our options for 2016 IMO.

If we miss on Pickard (which I don't think we do) I think we bring in Carter.

I don't think Grimes is coming here. For some reason I doubt we are still recruiting him, although could be wrong.

I think Whitner, as well as another secondary guy close out the class with Pickard.

I also think we get Pickard. If I were him I might be concerned that Aranda might not stick at Wiscy a second year with a new HC.

From what I heard we never stopped recruiting Grimes. Whether he commits to SU again who knows.

The fact that Howard hasn't committed to Mizzou yet and that he and Jake suggested that they wanted to play together still gives me hope. It is the Kelly Dunkelberger, Kelly029x effect.;)

Last edited:
fwiw I heard that interest in those qb's has been a bit blown out of proportion, and we aren't all that interested because they would have to sit out a season. Personally I thought that would work out even better since we have Hunt coming back for his a Senior year. Bit of a head scratcher if you ask me. Not really sure what the plan is for 2016, but you would assume if they brought in O'Conner you could have a qb for 3 years. Now we're going to have to hope Long develops, or Dungey develops. We're really limiting our options for 2016 IMO.

I am surprised they haven't moved much on the 2 transfer QB's.

My thought would be they either trust Long to develop or they are excited to have 2 QB spots to go after when they hopefully can use the pitch of, we just had a senior QB graduating, so our QB job will be wide open. May be able to help them get in the door with some high level QB's that fit whatever Lester's offense demands of the position.

I would expect at least 1 of each at CB and S. After that, I would think its best available no matter the position.

The other thing I don't get about it is that a transfer would not count against the number of recruits being brought in. If they are getting close to the maximum 25 for the year then this wouldn't matter and they could focus on other positions of need. With that, in the Fishes and Loaves I believe with full allotment of 25 for the year would put the team at 84 scholarships. 1 transfer would be at the limit so not like someone else would lose out. IMO, Bringing in a transfer at this point would be ideal.

Raeshon Dunbar and Brad Stewart?
I doubt we have any shot at all with Stewart because we don't have a baseball program. He would be a great get.

I really think they are putting alot of their stones into the Dungey bucket for 2016. That could be a very bad thing or a very good thing (hoping for the latter).

Further, I wouldn't be surprised to see us land one of O'Korn or O'Conner, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us go after a JUCO QB as insurance.

In 2016, in all likelihood, we still have Long and Wilson as well as Dungey. I love Wilson's arm and Long's moxy and mobility; however, not sure either of them will be the guy moving forward. Long, for one, needs to gain alot of weight and both of them have alot to learn. They were each thrown to the wolves in 2014, but those experiences will only help them moving forward.

We do not know what we're getting out of Dungey yet. HS film is great, but also is designed to make each kid look like Bo Jackson or Joe Montana.

Playing in a competitive college game, in which everyone on the field had their own "HS film", is a completely different story. The speed, size and quickness of everyone you're playing against goes up exponentially.

Lester has his work cut out for him. The new offense will be very simplified so that should help in developing these kids.

Lester has his work cut out for him. The new offense will be very simplified so that should help in developing these kids.
IYO or something you heard?

I am surprised they haven't moved much on the 2 transfer QB's.

My thought would be they either trust Long to develop or they are excited to have 2 QB spots to go after when they hopefully can use the pitch of, we just had a senior QB graduating, so our QB job will be wide open. May be able to help them get in the door with some high level QB's that fit whatever Lester's offense demands of the position.

I would expect at least 1 of each at CB and S. After that, I would think its best available no matter the position.

Someone said Pickard is #1, #1A, etc... could not disagree more. We need a QB. Period. You can have all the pass rushers in the world, but if u cant score... moot point.

The PSU kid and O'Korn should be our #1-#1Z. full court press on both. get one.

I really think they are putting alot of their stones into the Dungey bucket for 2016. That could be a very bad thing or a very good thing (hoping for the latter).

Further, I wouldn't be surprised to see us land one of O'Korn or O'Conner, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us go after a JUCO QB as insurance.

In 2016, in all likelihood, we still have Long and Wilson as well as Dungey. I love Wilson's arm and Long's moxy and mobility; however, not sure either of them will be the guy moving forward. Long, for one, needs to gain alot of weight and both of them have alot to learn. They were each thrown to the wolves in 2014, but those experiences will only help them moving forward.

We do not know what we're getting out of Dungey yet. HS film is great, but also is designed to make each kid look like Bo Jackson or Joe Montana.

Playing in a competitive college game, in which everyone on the field had their own "HS film", is a completely different story. The speed, size and quickness of everyone you're playing against goes up exponentially.

I think they may have already got the JUCO QB...Zack Mahoney.

and they'll recruit a QB next year to.

Closing out the class obviously Pickard and Howard would be a grandslam. Either or a home run. Pickard 1A for location - NJ.

I would have loved to see us bring in some more DBs. If the Ohio kid qualifies than we'll be golden.

It's not a top shelf class but it's solid top to bottom, especially in the face of a 3-9 season.

Not to get off topic, but does anybody think that AJ long will develop leaps and bounds over the off season and beat out hunt for the starting job...i know i do

bothsocksup said:
Not to get off topic, but does anybody think that AJ long will develop leaps and bounds over the off season and beat out hunt for the starting job...i know i do

Not this season, IMO. I think they try to redshirt him again. Then 2016 - it's between AJ, Dungey, and a transfer/freshman QB.

Someone said Pickard is #1, #1A, etc... could not disagree more. We need a QB. Period. You can have all the pass rushers in the world, but if u cant score... moot point.

The PSU kid and O'Korn should be our #1-#1Z. full court press on both. get one.

It's the first frigging post in the thread. And you're not landing a transfer QB before signing day so it's a "moot point".

I don't understand why the staff would be turned off by O'Korn/O'Connor having to sit out a year. We have Hunt for next season. Not a fantastic option but a good enough one for 2015. 2016 is a much scarier proposition with Long, Wilson, and a presumed RS frosh in Dungey. Mahoney actually looks like a decent get, especially for a preferred walk-on, but I don't love our options. Give me one of the O' kids!

I don't understand why the staff would be turned off by O'Korn/O'Connor having to sit out a year. We have Hunt for next season. Not a fantastic option but a good enough one for 2015. 2016 is a much scarier proposition with Long, Wilson, and a presumed RS frosh in Dungey. Mahoney actually looks like a decent get, especially for a preferred walk-on, but I don't love our options. Give me one of the O' kids!

I had the same response.

Well no matter what you all want it isn't happening. there will not be any more QBs in this class. End of discussion.

I would prefer that they grab one of the transfer QB's as well but it has nothing to do with closing out this class.

So we have:

1) DE - Jake Pickard
2) Safety - Whitner?
3) LB - Doyle Grimes?
4) WR (Guess)

Looking at it again I think you have the three most likely... not sure about a fourth. The keeper of numbers, OrangeXtreme says two spots open but I know that you are not counting Dawson in the 2015 class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom