Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network

On Elijah - “it was expensive” and doesn’t see him here longer than 3 years. I really like the transparency.

“I’m not afraid of any coach”

“Going out to recruit tonight and all week”

Not clear to me on who the current bowl staff is.
So glad he was clear. No fluff.

I hope Robinson contract is structured the way it is going to be

I like how genuine he comes off. He has some of the typical football coach cliche but you can see why he is so successful at recruiting. I’m really intrigued to watch how the next month or so shakes out with the staff and roster building. Feeling positive about the direction of the program at this time, which feels great

...eh.

Everyone in college football is already thinking if he's successfully early he'll bolt in three years. That's not going to help recruiting. I interpreted that "coach for life" talk as a way to help with recruiting more than a promise - if he gets recruits, has success and leaves in 3-4 years I'm not going to hold that against him. I know some would though.
Too early to worry about this seriously but he could’ve said that in a better way if those are his intentions “I have no plans to leave, etc”. By being bold saying he’s here for life, I’m gonna hold him to that (unless he’s stepping away from the game of football, of course)

This PC shows why he is one of the top recruiters in the country, you can see HS kids just falling in love playing for this guy. Very authentic and honest. I mentioned before I thought he would be a fascinating hire and boy this looks like a homerun hire.

"If you don't come around I don't want to hear nothing you say" For all of those who criticize and don't show up on game day etc...
Sounds like the presser is going well, but that's a naive statement on a few levels.

I hope he doesn't pull a Babers and glare at the empty seats. This is a battered fan base. They need to be built up with positivity. They've shown up too many times and then immediately been kicked back down by poor performances by the program.

3 more tid bits

“Really after the football alumni to come out and be present. Says he doesn’t need their money he needs their presence.”

“Says he’s an animal in practice. Nobody has more energy than him”

-Coach Smart told JW whatever they need. He’s there to help/support Fran success.”

Last edited:
The SU Communication team ready to announce hires and big news and Fran just says it instead LOL

Angry Denzel Washington GIF

Again. I can't emphasize enough how authentic this guy is. No attempt to be polished or impress. He tells it like it is to him. The players will totally relate to this guy. He has been them. He gets it.

I think when people hear "great recruiter" they often think "salesman." But even a highschool kid can see through that. This guy is genuine and has a vision and you can tell that—if nothing else—he believes it.

Most great coaches aren't great because they're doing something revolutionary with the Xs and Os. They're getting their players to buy-in 100%. If he can do that, he has the potential to do big things here.

Kent Syverud is up to the podium first. "Today we welcome the newest member of the Syracuse community, Fran Brown." Mentions Brown's family and he is glad they are all here.

Chancellor Kent Syverud has taken the podium: "My job is to say thank you to the search committee who made the great decision to bring Fran Brown to Syracuse."

Syverud: "Coach Brown is passionately committed to his players winning in all aspects of life. They will exceed on and off the field, in the community and in life."

Syverud praises the search committee and is “so glad Coach Brown and his family call Syracuse home.”

Syverud: "Fran Brown is committed to his players." Said it is not just talk that he wants to impact players on and off the field, a sentiment echoed by several former players.

Wildhack: "Our search committee was spectacular." Thanks several members of the administrative staff for their thoroughness in the search process. Also thanks Chancellor Syverud.

Wildhack: "We had a very strong list of candidates. But Coach Brown stood out as a the right man to lead this program now."

Wildhack: "Coach has been on the ground for less than 24 hours. I've seen his commitment in action. It is more than just words."

Wildhack: "I spoke to a number of people about Fran. Current coaches, former coaches, NFL coaches, college coaches. Their message was consistent. They all said Fran is a great communicator, is authentic, has strong relationships with his players and develops his players."

Wildhack: "They all told me what a great family man coach Fran is."

Wildhack: Fran Brown has "spent the last 15 years preparing for today."

Fran Brown: "I want to thank God. I think we all should. I want to thank my beautiful wife, my sons, just my family."

Fran says he just speaks from his heart. When he tries to prepare a speech it doesn't come out right.

Fran said the search committee made him feel like Syracuse was home. Thanks Herman Frazier specifically. As as well AD John Wildhack.

Fran jokes that he had a short stint with the Bengals, and an assistant kept calling him just to keep in touch. Said his Hall of Fame career was ruined because he was never called back to the team.

Fran: "Don't ever allow your circumstances dictate your outcome."

Brown: "If you're involved with Syracuse, we're going to make this community the best community in the world."

Brown said he called former Syracuse head coach Paul Pasqualoni gave him his blessing. He has mentioned the Pasqualoni era as what he wants for Syracuse.

"This is the neighborhood I need to be in. This is the neighborhood I can make a change."

Fran Brown: "I just held up Jim Brown's jersey. I'm from Camden, New Jersey. That doesn't happen."

Fran Brown: "A lot of people come here saying they love it and are here forever and then are gone to another job in three years. I'm telling you, I'm from Camden. I was on welfare. I'm good. I'm not going anywhere. I'm here for life. I promise you that."

Brown: "I’m going to be an animal at practice. Nobody here has more energy than me. Don't say you want a championship but you give a 6-6 effort. His message to FB alumni: "I don’t need your money. I need your presence."

Brown: "Our DNA traits. DART. We're going to be throwing darts all around. Detail. Accountable. Relentless. Tough. I'm going to continuously say that. You can do that in all aspects of your life."

Brown: "There's a lot I could go on and say. But I want to get back to that Pasqualoni/DeLeone era. We're going to run the ball. We're going to play good defense and stop the run."

Brown: "I do know how to win y'all. I went to Camden. We used to lose all the time. When I got there, we didn't lose anymore... I know how to win, but it's hard. It's not just those guys on the team, or the coaches, it's all of the fan base. We need everyone."

Brown on what offense Syracuse will run: "Whatever they can't stop."

Q&A

Brown on the plan to balance recruiting and NIL. "I wasn't recruiting with just my looks at Georgia. We've got a good plan. We'll talk to guys. We're trying to do things with our own players first." Said they have a lot of things in the works.

Brown on his recruiting pitch: "I don't really have a recruiting pitch. Do you want to be successful? Do you want to be a good man? Do you want to be a good father? Do you want to be a good husband?" Says he builds genuine relationships.

Brown: "The most important thing to the kid is him. So I need to get to know him, his family."

Brown says he will recruit depth, he will recruit difference makers. He isn't afraid of recruiting against any coaches

Brown from a geographic recruiting: Plans to start in the back yard, New York, New Jersey, DMV, from Canada down to DMV is the key area. Spot recruit Florida and other areas. Following the Coach P/DeLeone recruiting map. Says he jokingly told Kirby Smart upon leaving Georgia: 'Don't come back up North."

Brown on recruiting portal players versus high schoolers: "The message is the same. Kids are kids." Also said you have to be cautious with the portal because players are leaving for a reason. He believes in recruiting and developing.

Brown also said with transfers they want guys for at least two years unless they know a grad transfer is a sure fire pro. Otherwise he wants them in the program multiple years to develop the DART mantra.

Brown jokes: "Why would I want to leave Georgia? Did you see how much money this man (pointing to John Wildhack) offered me?" The crowd all laughs.

Brown hints Kevin Coyle will be on staff. Coyle was DC at Syracuse (1991–1993) and won a national title with LSU in 2019 as a defensive analyst under Ed Orgeron Coyle is the DC at Fresno State: You'll see him soon.

Brown says he will turn his attention full-time to coaching Syracuse with Georgia off to the Orange Bowl.

Brown on his coaching staff: We just got the best coordinator in the country. Elijah Robinson is coming. We grew up together. It was expensive, but we went all in.

Brown on Robinson: We're going to do everything we can to get 3 years out him. He won't be here long.

Brown on his message to potential coaches: "We're going to compete. If you come here I'm going to push you. Make you better." Brown said he wants coaches that want to advance, want to move up. The same thing he does with players (development) he wants to do with his coaches.

Brown on his message to recruits' families: "I just talk to them about life." Says he talks to them about being successful after college, about religion, being there for the child. Says he continues to talk to the parents even after the player steps on campus.

Brown: "I'm hitting the (recruiting) trail tonight."

Brown says some coaches stop recruiting when they become head coaches. He says he won't be stopping that, wants to become better at it. "It's why I got the job. Let's be real." Says he will never stop recruiting.

Brown on the Dome: "I think you're going to love our style of football. I'm calling you out, be at the game. I'm calling you out, be at the spring game."

Fran Brown: "I'm competitive man. I'm competitive in everything. You can't chew gum faster than me."

Brown says he was not a coordinator because he did not want to be. Had opportunities but did not want to be that because he wants to be able to touch the entire team and you can't as a coordinator.
The only eyebrow raise is the statement on the portal. Surely he knows the 3rd string guy on Georgia may be better than what we have at a particular position. I trust him completely and am really excited for this off season.

Syracuse under Wildhack has done the sensible hire in high profile sports. This is out of the box and brings a level of excitement we would not have with an FCS or MAC coach. We wouldn't be lamented on the A&M message board or discussed on a PSU football podcast without Fran Brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom