Coach Dale Says.. | Syracusefan.com

Coach Dale Says..

bigmike

Connoisseur of head and legroom.
Coach Norman Dale : If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners.

I believe the team did that today. They were just overmatched as I believe they have been (and will be) in most games this year.

Not sure what else there is to say. Hopefully, the team gets back on track next year.

Coach Norman Dale : If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners.

I believe the team did that today. They were just overmatched as I believe they have been (and will be) in most games this year.

Not sure what else there is to say. Hopefully, the team gets back on track next year.
I’m glad we’re down to quoting fictional coaches for inspiration

“Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.”​

Rosie Perez, White Men Can't Jump

1525e602813e4cfcb7ff018794fffe35.jpeg

I’m glad we’re down to quoting fictional coaches for

“Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.”​

Rosie Perez, White Men Can't Jump
Just Awesome

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.”

-Coach Finstock

Normal Dale wasn’t allowed to recruit better players.

The players do their best.

The level of talent in this program….there’s just no excuse for this.

"I don't think he can play for you, " he tells Bell while watching McRae in Chicago. "He takes too many bad shots."

"Can he play for you?" Bell answers.

"Well, maybe, " Boeheim replies slyly

- Actor Jim Boeheim playing legendary basketball coach Jim Boeheim in “Blue Chips” 1994.

Normal Dale wasn’t allowed to recruit better players.

The players do their best.

The level of talent in this program….there’s just no excuse for this.
Although some would argue that coach Dale did recruit Jimmy Chitwood to round out his team using the top secret 1950’s passive/ aggressive techniques he learned in the Navy. ;)

Although some would argue that coach Dale did recruit Jimmy Chitwood to round out his team using the top secret 1950’s passive/ aggressive techniques he learned in the Navy. ;)
I obviously have a totally unsophisticated taste in motion pictures but I love that movie more than any Bergman flick. The opening scene where he drives into Hickory, and the shot is down the Main St, with the lighting exactly right, is something I've seen in small CNY farm towns many, many times. The director had me right there.

Has anyone ever watched the actual title game Hoosiers is based on? It’s included on the special edition DVD.

Anyway, I watched it with my son last week. Some observations:

1. Apparently, back then a bonus foul was just one free throw.
2. Milan (aka Hickory) inexplicably held the ball for minutes while trailing late in the fourth quarter. Of course, they still won, but what the what?
3. The above was after Muncie Central made a second half comeback. I’m not sure what the Milan coach’s strategy was other than to let it happen.
4. The music is fire.
5. Spike Lee said the movie is racist because the opposing team in the championship game has black players, which wasn’t the case in real life. Turns out Lee is wrong. They did have black players.

There were some other quirks with how the game was played back then, but like I said, it’s been a week. And I also drank a D-8 seltzer with dinner.

Anyway, it’s probably on YouTube if you don’t have the DVD.

Some will win
Some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie season never ends
It goes on and on, and on, and on

but.....Don't stop believin'

Has anyone ever watched the actual title game Hoosiers is based on? It’s included on the special edition DVD.

Anyway, I watched it with my son last week. Some observations:

1. Apparently, back then a bonus foul was just one free throw.
2. Milan (aka Hickory) inexplicably held the ball for minutes while trailing late in the fourth quarter. Of course, they still won, but what the what?
3. The above was after Muncie Central made a second half comeback. I’m not sure what the Milan coach’s strategy was other than to let it happen.
4. The music is fire.
5. Spike Lee said the movie is racist because the opposing team in the championship game has black players, which wasn’t the case in real life. Turns out Lee is wrong. They did have black players.

There were some other quirks with how the game was played back then, but like I said, it’s been a week. And I also drank a D-8 seltzer with dinner.

Anyway, it’s probably on YouTube if you don’t have the DVD.
Quotes attributed to Lee indicate that he generally was uninformed about the Milan Central championship. He said something about Oscar Robertson and his Crispus Attucks team. Of course the Big O won a couple of state championships, but that was 3 or 4 years later.

Quotes attributed to Lee indicate that he generally was uninformed about the Milan Central championship. He said something about Oscar Robertson and his Crispus Attucks team. Of course the Big O won a couple of state championships, but that was 3 or 4 years later.
Milan did defeat Attucks with Robertson on the way to the title. And Ray Crowe - the Attucks head coach - plays the South Bend coach in the movie. Lee missed that as well.

Milan did defeat Attucks with Robertson on the way to the title. And Ray Crowe - the Attucks head coach - plays the South Bend coach in the movie. Lee missed that as well.
Yep. Milan beat Attucks in the 1954 equivalent of the Elite 8. Then Oscar took over, and they won the next 2 state titles. Interesting that Attucks was the first Indianapolis school to win the Indiana state championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom