Coach Mac | Syracusefan.com

Coach Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
The whole WIN NOW approach of Joe Q Public these days really cannot value building something into a sustainable machine. Shafer and Co are stockpiling talent for years to come and have a great pipeline going for future recruiting in-roads. This is the first year with an offensive system being run a true freshman with many underclassmen playing key roles on either side of the ball. Patience is key. If you don't like that approach, then stop stressing yourself out while the bumps get ironed and maybe you can jump back on the wagon once this system all starts to really click.

Lets just beat fsu this weekend. That should cheer everyone uo. :):):D:eek:

Lets just beat fsu this weekend. That should cheer everyone uo. :):):D:eek:
It would do more then just cheer people up. But realistically, we don't win this game.

I guess I didn't realize shafer was rebuilding until we found out he wasn't a very good head coach, now it's a rebuild but really it's hope that he can find his way. What some people will do to support their opinions, trust me I get it but shafer has stunk past 2 years, the fact that people think we have to be patient while he stockpiles talent isn't the reason we have lost 3 in a row. I can see patience trying to get competitive with the top programs with the ACC but patience to win a couple versus USF, UVA or Pitt? Come on.

This isn't a rebuild, it's a coach that has failed to meet expectations at this point. Stop it.

I guess I didn't realize shafer was rebuilding until we found out he wasn't a very good head coach, now it's a rebuild but really it's hope that he can find his way. What some people will do to support their opinions, trust me I get it but shafer has stunk past 2 years, the fact that people think we have to be patient while he stockpiles talent isn't the reason we have lost 3 in a row. I can see patience trying to get competitive with the top programs with the ACC but patience to win a couple versus USF, UVA or Pitt? Come on.

This isn't a rebuild, it's a coach that has failed to meet expectations at this point. Stop it.

Those UVa / Pitt losses were costly, no question. Totally different season / board demeanor if we claw out those two winnable games.

The whole WIN NOW approach of Joe Q Public these days really cannot value building something into a sustainable machine. Shafer and Co are stockpiling talent for years to come and have a great pipeline going for future recruiting in-roads. This is the first year with an offensive system being run a true freshman with many underclassmen playing key roles on either side of the ball. Patience is key. If you don't like that approach, then stop stressing yourself out while the bumps get ironed and maybe you can jump back on the wagon once this system all starts to really click.

The 2016 season started in the first quarter of the URI game. Live scrimmages are the best practice.

I hate to break it to you, but it's always been a rebuild for Shafer. It's just taking longer than hoped for by fans but he's laying a good foundation.

IthacaBarrel said:
I guess I didn't realize shafer was rebuilding until we found out he wasn't a very good head coach, now it's a rebuild but really it's hope that he can find his way. What some people will do to support their opinions, trust me I get it but shafer has stunk past 2 years, the fact that people think we have to be patient while he stockpiles talent isn't the reason we have lost 3 in a row. I can see patience trying to get competitive with the top programs with the ACC but patience to win a couple versus USF, UVA or Pitt? Come on. This isn't a rebuild, it's a coach that has failed to meet expectations at this point. Stop it.

We lost 2 of those 3 on the last play of the game. We're just young.

Mac was great, I love him, but I am really dreading being 60 years old hearing someone explain why we need to give Head Coach Broyld a 4th year because because it took mac 2 years to win

The cupboard certainly wasn't full when he took over. Marrone's 2012 team was laden with seniors and he then took the majority of the staff with him right during peak recruiting season. Shafer had to pick up the pieces and assemble a staff last minute (a la McScreen) and try and save some of the recruits. He wasn't able to hang onto many of them and it left with us with a terribly small 2013 class. Now that he is in the swing of things, you can see what kind of talent he and his assistants are capable of bringing in when given the time. Dungey, Erv, Fredericks, Zaire, Clark, Strickland, etc.

Could a few games have easily gone our way and turned into wins under Shafer? Yep. But we are right in the majority of the losses and it only takes a little more fine-tuning to reverse those outcomes into the win column.

Not sure why people have cannot see the value of what his approach is setting us up for long-term. The whole "win now" thing is not the approach at Syracuse. People need to get off the pipe dream that we're going to go and hire some stud unless Syracuse drastically changes their football commitment and salary $$ allocations.

Mac was great, I love him, but I am really dreading being 60 years old hearing someone explain why we need to give Head Coach Broyld a 4th year because because it took mac 2 years to win
Using that criteria, it took Shafer only 1 year to win. Mac had a losing record year 5 (with all his recruits). It took Mac 6 years to create a winning program.

The cupboard certainly wasn't full when he took over. Marrone's 2012 team was laden with seniors and he then took the majority of the staff with him right during peak recruiting season. Shafer had to pick up the pieces and assemble a staff last minute (a la McScreen) and try and save some of the recruits. He wasn't able to hang onto many of them and it left with us with a terribly small 2013 class. Now that he is in the swing of things, you can see what kind of talent he and his assistants are capable of bringing in when given the time. Dungey, Erv, Fredericks, Zaire, Clark, Strickland, etc.

Could a few games have easily gone our way and turned into wins under Shafer? Yep. But we are right in the majority of the losses and it only takes a little more fine-tuning to reverse those outcomes into the win column.

Not sure why people have cannot see the value of what his approach is setting us up for long-term. The whole "win now" thing is not the approach at Syracuse. People need to get off the pipe dream that we're going to go and hire some stud unless Syracuse drastically changes their football commitment and salary $$ allocations.
Rocco, you need to stop this, you cannot have two positive replies that are 100% on money in the same thread. You will make some posters head explode.

Using that criteria, it took Shafer only 1 year to win. Mac had a losing record year 5 (with all his recruits). It took Mac 6 years to create a winning program.
i don't want to use that criteria. all he needs is another win to get another year. if we go 3-9 twice in a row, forget it

We lost 2 of those 3 on the last play of the game. We're just young.

And we WON two of our 3 wins with late plays. We COULD easily be 1-6. Why dont folks consider that everytime they claim the above?

And we WON two of our 3 wins with late plays. We COULD easily be 1-6. Why dont folks consider that everytime they claim the above?
The point is, they have remained competitive in every game. That's improvement. While disappointing from a W-L standpoint, it shows a program moving in the right direction. Their offense is much improved. Their pass defense has killed them.

You are wasting your time. When you are building a foundation some see it as a hole in the ground and others see a mansion. I think Coyle can see what Shafer is building.

Shafer is welcome at more high schools and has established credibility with HS coaches. Parents and players seem to love him and he has delivered with early playing time. He is doing what Pete Carroll did at USC - competition at every position and by making it fun.

This guy is going to deliver big time.

orangeinjersey said:

2 of our 3 wins? Better go back and check on that.

You are wasting your time. When you are building a foundation some see it as a hole in the ground and others see a mansion. I think Coyle can see what Shafer is building.

Shafer is welcome at more high schools and has established credibility with HS coaches. Parents and players seem to love him and he has delivered with early playing time. He is doing what Pete Carroll did at USC - competition at every position and by making it fun.

This guy is going to deliver big time.

I'm not wasting my time, just sharing my opinion. I truly believe in this guy and I think he is giving us an incredible opportunity to be a premier northeast program again.

We live in a time of instant gratification...the Fast Food Generation. I want it and I want it NOW...if it feels good do it. Consequences be damned.

2 of our 3 wins? Better go back and check on that.

CMU was an OT win.
Wake we hit 2 big long TD passes late in the 3rd qtr.

We can argue over semantics all day, i just want everyone who uses the old, "we lost on the last play of the game twice" to realize that we also did just about the same in two of our wins and we COULD easily be 1-6 or 2-5. It goes both ways folks.

We live in a time of instant gratification...the Fast Food Generation. I want it and I want it NOW...if it feels good do it. Consequences be damned.

3rwg61.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors