Coach Martin recruiting - small story | Syracusefan.com

Coach Martin recruiting - small story

texascpa

Living Legend
So, was speaking with a buddy of mine yesterday here in Texas. I helped coach his youngest son in youth football. The kid is a great athlete and is going to be sophomore (so freshman right now) this upcoming season. He's 6' about 190 and will be the 2nd string Mike linebacker on Varsity this year. This is at Katy HS which is perennially ranked in the USA Today Top 25 and has won several 6A state championships over the year, and has about 120 kids on the varsity football team. Andy Dalton (Bengals) and Rodney Anderson (Oklahoma running back) both attended Katy.

In any case, was at their Spring scrimmage yesterday (the do Spring practice like colleges). My buddy tells me that he had his son start sending out emails with videos to several colleges, including Syracuse. Out of the dozens he sent, Coach Martin was the first to reply and invited him up to SU's summer camp this year. I thought that was pretty cool and it's obvious Martin was brought along to help mine Texas for talent.

He doesn't believe it was a generic response, which is nice. Unfortunately, he probably won't make it up due to cost, but I thought it was a neat recruiting story I would share.

With Texans Alton Robinson, freshmen Chance Amie and Tre Allson in the fold maybe Texas could become the new Florida for us. Large, talent-rich state with more athletes than they have colleges. And now we have a legitimate Lone Star connection w/Coach Martin.

So, was speaking with a buddy of mine yesterday here in Texas. I helped coach his youngest son in youth football. The kid is a great athlete and is going to be sophomore (so freshman right now) this upcoming season. He's 6' about 190 and will be the 2nd string Mike linebacker on Varsity this year. This is at Katy HS which is perennially ranked in the USA Today Top 25 and has won several 6A state championships over the year, and has about 120 kids on the varsity football team. Andy Dalton (Bengals) and Rodney Anderson (Oklahoma running back) both attended Katy.

In any case, was at their Spring scrimmage yesterday (the do Spring practice like colleges). My buddy tells me that he had his son start sending out emails with videos to several colleges, including Syracuse. Out of the dozens he sent, Coach Martin was the first to reply and invited him up to SU's summer camp this year. I thought that was pretty cool and it's obvious Martin was brought along to help mine Texas for talent.

He doesn't believe it was a generic response, which is nice. Unfortunately, he probably won't make it up due to cost, but I thought it was a neat recruiting story I would share.
Did you see that Bryce Foster and Hayden Conner, from James E. Taylor HS in Katy were both offered by Coach Cavanaugh yesterday.

Did you see that Bryce Foster and Hayden Conner, from James E. Taylor HS in Katy were both offered by Coach Cavanaugh yesterday.

I did not. We played against Hayden Conner several times. Kid was about 6'2 220 in 6th grade! He was probably the most dominate 1v1 player in our youth league, even against our own 6' 220lb player. He even put out youtube videos on technique. lol. His dad was a very involved dad, ended up creating his own "select" team so we didn't play against him in 6th grade. They travelled to Dallas, Louisiana and even Florida to play in tournaments. They hung with really good teams

That said, once Hayden got to Jr High and HS, he got moved solely to Oline. I always thought he would be a very good TE. He catches the ball very well, runs hard, but is not that great of a blocker. It's probably because other kids caught up to him in size and strength. Taylor's got some other young guys to keep an eye out on, including a kid by the name of Trevor Woods. Multipurpose skill player, with great football awareness. Will be surprised if he doesn't play Div 1. Still just a sophomore.

Your friend should call the coach.

Good story, thanks for sharing. Hopefully he will find a way to get to camp. It is amazing how HS Football varies from state to state. 120 kids on varsity! What is your ballpark on # of spectators in the stadium?

Good story, thanks for sharing. Hopefully he will find a way to get to camp. It is amazing how HS Football varies from state to state. 120 kids on varsity! What is your ballpark on # of spectators in the stadium?

About 1,500. The stadium holds about 12K and the bottom section (right side of the photo below) was almost full. BTW, directly adjacent North is another 10K stadium.

This has been posted before, but this is the stadium the spring game was held:

The $70m Legacy Stadium - a student sports palace or a 'shrine to opulence'?

2319292_1280x720.jpg

Debt, debt, debt. Fiscally irresponsible adults acting like empire-building kids and building over the top edifices to excess. I enjoy football, but it seems moderation is in order in the Lone Star state. However, it's your state so have at it and thanks for funding our potentially fertile, new recruiting ground.

"The district, which serves about 77,000 students, was $1.45bn deep in bonded debt last year, amounting to nearly $20,000 per student. In 2015-16, it spent the equivalent of $1,835 per student in debt service."

Even the Tea Party is against this level of extravagance.

The article is eye-popping in its description of stadia and indoor practice facilities. Wow, high schoolers w/IPFs. SU just got theirs.

Debt, debt, debt. Fiscally irresponsible adults acting like empire-building kids and building over the top edifices to excess. I enjoy football, but it seems moderation is in order in the Lone Star state. However, it's your state so have at it and thanks for funding our potentially fertile, new recruiting ground.

"The district, which serves about 77,000 students, was $1.45bn deep in bonded debt last year, amounting to nearly $20,000 per student. In 2015-16, it spent the equivalent of $1,835 per student in debt service."

Even the Tea Party is against this level of extravagance.

The article is eye-popping in its description of stadia and indoor practice facilities. Wow, high schoolers w/IPFs. SU just got theirs.

I understand where you coming from, heck I'm one of the property tax payers who have to pay this. Katy has a very vocal watchdog group down here. The original bond actually failed a vote. Changes were made, certain costs were reduced, other necessities were included, and while it passed it was a close vote. The biggest problem is Katy is still a growing area, one of the fastest in the country. It now had 8 high schools serving over 3K students each. Up until the construction of Legacy Stadium, there was only one stadium shared by all the schools. The 8th high school was recently opened, scheduling became a nightmare with the possibility of having to rent out other fields elsewhere or play games on school nights.

Yes, it was costly, yes, there are some extravagant items included (like the huge monitor), but there's a reason why it seats 12K. They will sellout many of the games, and host state playoff games to boot. And the bond was used to upgrade several schools and upgrade/construct new facilities for the district's FFA program which is pretty large, among other things.

I understand where you coming from, heck I'm one of the property tax payers who have to pay this. Katy has a very vocal watchdog group down here. The original bond actually failed a vote. Changes were made, certain costs were reduced, other necessities were included, and while it passed it was a close vote. The biggest problem is Katy is still a growing area, one of the fastest in the country. It now had 8 high schools serving over 3K students each. Up until the construction of Legacy Stadium, there was only one stadium shared by all the schools. The 8th high school was recently opened, scheduling became a nightmare with the possibility of having to rent out other fields elsewhere or play games on school nights.

Yes, it was costly, yes, there are some extravagant items included (like the huge monitor), but there's a reason why it seats 12K. They will sellout many of the games, and host state playoff games to boot. And the bond was used to upgrade several schools and upgrade/construct new facilities for the district's FFA program which is pretty large, among other things.
I hear you. I just visited my daughter in Austin. Same thing - a Boomtown with a capital B. With all that new property tax money filling the coffers it's hard not to spend it on "nice things."
I'm sure you're familiar with the old joke about the 2 most popular sports in Texas: Football and Spring Football.
Relative to other parts of the country SU sports and fan base is relatively low key - except when it comes to football uniforms.

Yes and I believe its a great offer to both those guys. They are close friends also. May be a start to something really special

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom