Coach P Memories | Syracusefan.com

Coach P Memories

DomeStranger

All Conference
I remember saying,"What! Why is he getting the job?" "How did a linebacker coach get promoted to Head Coach?"

A lot people wondered that ... a couple of successful seasons and that question faded.

How did Coach P ever get to be HC of the Orangemen?

How did he get to be HC of the Huskies?

We must interview really well ... maybe he's also a hypnotist.

ppl love to hate him... it's funny... yet he kept us relevant...

I think hate is a strong word for Coach P. I do think people were bored or ready to move on, but I can only speak for myself. Robinson on the other hand, I hated what he did to our program!

ppl love to hate him... it's funny... yet he kept us relevant...
No he didn't.

Paul broke ground and Robinson finished the job! They both get equal part blame in my book. Paul more so because he had SU at a high level and couldn't or wasn't smart enough to maintain it.

How did Coach P ever get to be HC of the Orangemen?

When Coach Mac told Crouthamel that he was taking the Patriots job, Jake poked his head out of his office, and the first person he saw was Coach P.

If Mac had resigned 5 minutes later, we could have had HCRE. :)

I am sure if Ray Rice had came to Syracuse we would have finished at the bottom of the Big East. Coach P could not win a bowl game to save his life. He always recruited like shizza and I can not remember anything he ever did good.
We should never suffer like second rate schools like, Texas and Ohio State and have down years. What has Boeheim done for us lately? Some posters (not just in this thread) sound like they would have run him out of town when we failed to make the tourney two years in a row.
Coach P is truly one of the finest gentlemen to grace this game and deserves more respect then we give.

Coach P is truly one of the finest gentlemen to grace this game and deserves more respect then we give.

He had a head coaching job at SU for 14 years. How much more of a "showing of respect" did he need to be shown? It's a results oriented business. Sorry if you don't like that but its the truth. When the results aren't there, you get the boot! REALITY!

Nobody ever said Paul was a bad guy. He was just a crappy head coach at the end of his time here.

I think a string of great QBs kept us relevent. McPherson, Graves, McNabb, Philcox! Then for some reason, despite all these great QB's to wear Orange, Coach P could not recruit even a decent QB. Recruit after recruit turned him down to play at lesser programs. It was quite embarrassing. The year he had to bring everything he had to Pittsburgh to approach Coach Nunes about getting his son to come to Syracuse speaks volumes. I believe Troy was QB target number four that year.

I am sure if Ray Rice had came to Syracuse we would have finished at the bottom of the Big East. Coach P could not win a bowl game to save his life. He always recruited like shizza and I can not remember anything he ever did good.
We should never suffer like second rate schools like, Texas and Ohio State and have down years. What has Boeheim done for us lately? Some posters (not just in this thread) sound like they would have run him out of town when we failed to make the tourney two years in a row.

I still say he would have gone 4-7 in 2005 had he been retained, even with Ray Rice, and would have been fired anyway.

He had a head coaching job at SU for 14 years. How much more of a "showing of respect" did he need to be shown? It's a results oriented business. Sorry if you don't like that but its the truth. When the results aren't there, you get the boot! REALITY!

Nobody ever said Paul was a bad guy. He was just a crappy head coach at the end of his time here.

Ben's last years were not so good either. Lets throw him off the bus too. I remember the 70's. Ben killed the program and was a crappy head coach at the end also.

Ben's last years were not so good either. Lets throw him off the bus too. I remember the 70's. Ben killed the program and was a crappy head coach at the end also.

It was a different time then with Ben. The sports landscape was different. And some places would have fired him probably or pushed him out the door somewhat gracefully. Look these aren't Supreme Court Judges, you don't hold a job for life. This is a football coach who is paid based on winning and generating revenue for the school. And the fact someone is a good guy and a good person means nothing. RESULTS!!!! Get Results!!

It was a different time then with Ben. The sports landscape was different. And some places would have fired him probably or pushed him out the door somewhat gracefully. Look these aren't Supreme Court Judges, you don't hold a job for life. This is a football coach who is paid based on winning and generating revenue for the school. And the fact someone is a good guy and a good person means nothing. RESULTS!!!! Get Results!!
I am not really arguing about his dismissal as our HC. I just don't like some of the attitude thrown at this man. ..and it does matter what kind of person is your coach. I would not want Schiano if he brought us a 10-2 team every year.

I am not really arguing about his dismissal as our HC. I just don't like some of the attitude thrown at this man. ..and it does matter what kind of person is your coach. I would not want Schiano if he brought us a 10-2 team every year.
what attitude is thrown his way? Upset people bring up his record and facts? Paul was a crappy coach. Good guy, crappy coach. End of story. He was fired as he should have been

where is Orange PA?
PP needed to go, the program got stale, his recruiting suffered the last few years and the product was mediocre trending downward. But he's not a crappy coach. Grob is a crappy coach.
BTW Ray Rice would not have been a savior running behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country.

He was just a crappy head coach at the end of his time here.

He won the Big East in his last season.

When I read these comments about Coach P I realize that SU is doomed as a program, because SU may have the most ignorant fans of any team in college football, and that is quite an accomplishment. When you consider that fans starting banging the drum to fire him in 1999, at a time when he had one of the best winning percentages of any coach in the country, you can only conclude that a vast swath of SU fans are idiots.

He won the Big East in his last season.

When I read these comments about Coach P I realize that SU is doomed as a program, because SU may have the most ignorant fans of any team in college football, and that is quite an accomplishment. When you consider that fans starting banging the drum to fire him in 1999, at a time when he had one of the best winning percentages of any coach in the country, you can only conclude that a vast swath of SU fans are idiots.

Won the conference...lol! No tried TIED for the conference lead. He tied with 3 other teams in a conference of only 7! And didn't get us the BCS bowl bid either.

The only idiots are the fools who keep defending Coach P's lackluster time here at the end. You don't know what the hell your talking about

Won the conference...lol! No tried TIED for the conference lead. He tied with 3 other teams in a conference of only 7! And didn't get us the BCS bowl bid either.

The only idiots are the fools who keep defending Coach P's lackluster time here at the end. You don't know what the hell your talking about
I am beginning to believe you are talking about yourself.

He's been a helluva lot better than Marrone.

He's been a helluva lot better than Marrone.
And Coach P inherited a hell of a lot better of a team than Marrone did.

Do you people actually believe some of the BS you spout? I mean seriously. What world do you live in?!?

Are you serious? You mean, besides getting SU into the ACC?

To quote Gordon Gekko, Boeheim was "12th man on the team. Last to know". He did not engineer the ACC move in any way, shape or form.

To quote Gordon Gekko, Boeheim was "12th man on the team. Last to know". He did not engineer the ACC move in any way, shape or form.

Boeheim has brought the basketball team to elite status. If our basketball team was not so successful there is no chance we were invited to the ACC. The ACC did not invite us because of football. Basketball takes all the credit for why SU was sought after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom