Coach P now the LB coach for the Memphis Showboats | Syracusefan.com

Coach P now the LB coach for the Memphis Showboats

According to this URL, Memphis stop playing in June.

This is the perfect year to invite Coach P, his old staff and his old players to come to the dome for a halftime ceremony to honor him. He should be available, as should most of his former staff, and we know Coach Brown thinks very highly of Coach P. Include a special tribute to Coach DeLeone as part of things.

Let's heal old wounds and get all the Coach P people back to their Syracuse roots. Do this now. Don't wait until Coach P is no longer around, or so sick he can't walk on the field and accept his honors and acknowledge the crowd.

This is the perfect year to invite Coach P, his old staff and his old players to come to the dome for a halftime ceremony to honor him. He should be available, as should most of his former staff, and we know Coach Brown thinks very highly of Coach P. Include a special tribute to Coach DeLeone as part of things.

Let's heal old wounds and get all the Coach P people back to their Syracuse roots. Do this now. Don't wait until Coach P is no longer around, or so sick he can't walk on the field and accept his honors and acknowledge the crowd.

Could not agree more. It's time to give this golden era of our beloved program the recognition it deserves. Better late than never.

No doubt, there have been very few eras of SU football to write home about, the P era is one of the few, his first 8 years were excellent

Hear, hear

I still think firing Coach P was one of the worst decisions made by the SUAD.
Football program has never been the same since (came close during the Marrone era but it ended too soon).

Football program has never been the same since (came close during the Marrone era but it ended too soon).
There's no arguing that Syracuse was in a stagnant pattern in the early 2000's. Losing to Rutgers and Temple, having recruits fail to qualify or make it to campus, and those bookend defensive disasters in 2005 were the death knell for Coach P's era. The problem was that AD Gross didn't have a solution in his Rolodex.

If given the chance, would P & D have gotten things straightened out again? We can only imagine.

This can be debated, but the real worst decision was who we hired as P's replacement. We would remember things differently if we had not bottomed out under GERG.

I disagree that Marrone was anywhere close to where P had us, we were just starved for any success. Maybe if he had staid 8 years we could say that.

This can be debated, but the real worst decision was who we hired as P's replacement. We would remember things differently if we had not bottomed out under GERG.

I disagree that Marrone was anywhere close to where P had us, we were just starved for any success. Maybe if he had staid 8 years we could say that.
Nancy also deserves blame for firing P when she did (after the bowl game). She waited too long. It gave Gross too little time to find a coach which in turn gave GRob too little time to assemble a staff.

Nancy also deserves blame for firing P when she did (after the bowl game). She waited too long. It gave Gross too little time to find a coach which in turn gave GRob too little time to assemble a staff.
Very true

Having Nancy as Chancellor was the Mistake, she was in over her head.
Colossal failure of leadership at the University at the time. Nancy + TGD were awful.

There's no doubt things have grown stagnant but they looked to blame Paul first without looking at the broader landscape -- facilities, coaching staffs, recruiting budgets, etc. And as others have pointed out, the timing of the firing was awful. That remains my biggest gripe.

The worst decision was Buzz and Jake letting the program atrophy for years and refusing to invest in it and allow it to be modernized.

Colossal failure of leadership at the University at the time. Nancy + TGD were awful.

There's no doubt things have grown stagnant but they looked to blame Paul first without looking at the broader landscape -- facilities, coaching staffs, recruiting budgets, etc. And as others have pointed out, the timing of the firing was awful. That remains my biggest gripe.

Didn't the trustees force them to fire PP after that bowl game?

The worst decision was Buzz and Jake letting the program atrophy for years and refusing to invest in it and allow it to be modernized.
Actually Jake getting conned by BC into staying when Miami and Virginia Tech left.
We should have been the 3rd team to go.
There would have been more support for us then BC.

Reactions: CIL

I think this sums it up the best. Nancy was horrible and it drives me crazy when TGD gets any credit for the ACC move. That was just good timing for him. I could have been AD at the time and the same thing would have still happened.

A lot of people failed SU football in the late 90s and 00s. Jake, Buzz, Nancy, Gross, trustees...I just don't like when any one or two people get the blame. It was a group failure.
I agree that my post needed that extra context. I just feel like saying we should not have fired Coach P as a blanket statement was not being fair either.

Does anyone know if coach P had been asking for upgrades? I know he seemed like the kind that just kept his nose to the grindstone without complaint and I don't know that coaches made demands back then like they do now, but it seems like the lazy lack of foresite administration back then needed someone to ruffle some feathers the way Marrone eventually did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom