CoachDMustStay.com... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

CoachDMustStay.com...

So we count the outlier that was good but not the outlier that was bad?

Come on man.

I reiterate. Maybe the right move is to keep him, but we cant cherry pick. Lets take the full body of work here.
last year covid is different than a normal year where the schedule broke right for us.5 or more he is probably back

It is definition of insanity, but I am amazed at number of insane people out there. Just stay the course. Waiting for new, better results. Which never comes.

I would hire an NFL type. Cause my belief is recruiting has changed. You sell one thing in 2021! NFL..playing on Sunday.This ain't 1980. This is my marketing pitch, my 30 second sales pitch if I am coach with NFL background taking over program..."I coached in NFL, scouted in NFL, know NFL talent, know GM's and scouts, know what they want in incoming players, know what it takes to get players in NFL, will run NFL system with NFL type workouts".

IMO...this is going to be the new recruiting...academics, city, stadium, blah, blah, blah..in one ear, out the other.

I do believe Dino is back despite what I believe will be a depressing record. It is about the buyout. Too much money.

I believe I am right about future of college recruiting...sell NFL...many college fans agree with me
Congratulations! You just hired Greg Robinson!

dino's top WR just walked off the team. (a kid poised to set some records) and you think everything's cool ?
If someone like Rhino, or Tucker or Williams left in the middle of the season, I would be concerned. But when a kid like Harris - who has been, let’s say volatile his entire time here - leaves after 4 games, it just looks like more of the same from him to me.

and when said coach whiffs on 95% of these recruits and realizes after a year or two that Syracuse is and always has been a developmental program built on 3 stars and most will need some time to develop then maybe they can face reality of the task at hand. It will take a very specific type coach to be successful long term here. Marrone was an NFL coach with NFL guys like Donnie Henderson, Rob Moore, Ty Wheatley, etc where were was all the NFL talent? Doug understood what needed to be done, he had a good staff that could coach and develop regardless of their background. That is what is needed and the next coach if there is one, needs to understand the landscape of Syracuse football. Did GROB showing his rings off prove successful?

You actually are so far behind in the race that you think you are in the lead with this type stuff.

The goal is to win games at the ACC level and if we get kids to the league then bonus. If you try and recruit 4 stars with the promise of the NFL you will fail and fail miserably here. You sound like Dr. Gross and his band of misfits. It ain't happening
Did I say Marrone? No, I did not. I would not recommend him. There are others with NFL background and some college. Marrone was not a recruiter. I have never suggested him. I accept your apology

So put words in someone elses mouth

When you already have the best players, coaches, and live in a very lax COVID state, carrying on is much easier than retooling with young players a new OC and a new DC and no camp during a pandemic.

The "everyone went through" COVID implies it fell equally and it did not.

I'm sure if we ignored the impediments to success and just declared a "winners" mentality we'd win the ACC. People imply all the time that pointing out the things that make something hard is a "victim" mentality. It's not. It's about taking stakes properly so you know where you are and what needs to be accomplished to succeed.

What if the "football" problems are only a part of the solution and looking past the non-football ones are what's knee-capping the program.

Hopefully food for thought.
It was the same. Every school was impacted. What will your excuse be if team goes 3-9 or 4-8 in 2021. Delta? Transfer Portal? Oil Prices? Then hope again Dino reverses things in 2022...Year 7

You are what your record says you are...Bill Parcells

It was the same. Every school was impacted. What will your excuse be if team goes 3-9 or 4-8 in 2021. Delta? Transfer Portal? Oil Prices? Then hope again Dino reverses things in 2022...Year 7

In CFB you are who you played and who you beat, which is much different than mid-90’s NFL lol

Every school was impacted, not every school was impacted the same way

last year covid is different than a normal year where the schedule broke right for us.5 or more he is probably back

Let's agree to disagree. I also think COVID affected every team but this is one rabbit hole too many for me haha

To me if we throw out 2020 as an exception, that means improvement is based on 2019 when we were 5 and 7.

It then becomes really easy to evaluate numerically - 6 wins and a bowl appearance is improvement.

If we land at 5 again it's harder and relies on some statistical measures on how we're performing on the different sides of the ball, and squishy stuff like how we think we "look."
Five or six wins and I say keep him, but for me that is a bad bet on this seasons trajectory. We will struggle to get to four, in my opinion. I have lost all faith in DB, so even if he, by some miracle gets to a bowl, I do not want him renewed under any circumstance.

Did I say Marrone? No, I did not. I would not recommend him. There are others with NFL background and some college. Marrone was not a recruiter. I have never suggested him. I accept your apology

So put words in someone elses mouth

A plan that revolves around 4 stars and NFL types is insane, it won't work because it won't happen. 100% a fool's errand but why should I expect anything less. The recruiting can be elevated a bit for sure but within reason. You want to stake the programs future on getting top 25 recruiting classes? Good e-f-fing luck with that

You should say Marrone because he knows what works regardless of his background. My point is he had a staff with a ton of NFL guys but they were all teachers of the game and could develop kids. That is 100% what Syracuse needs for long term success. He also brought in a young coach like Hackett and developed him. It's what needs to be done here. Marrone also demonstrated the ability to game plan and out scheme opposing coaches on several occasions.

The NFL background has nothing to do with what a coach can do to develop talent.

Last edited:
If you're moving on you'd better be sure of the reasons for his record, recruiting, etc.

(Also, gotta point out that Shafer dreams of the level of wins Dino had; prob a faulty comp)
Who cares about the level of wins. Shafer was 7-17 in the ACC. Dino is 13-31, pretty identical if you ask me.

I don't disagree with you at all, but as others have mentioned Dino would have to delegate to one person. This really shouldn't be committee decisions, but one person classified as the coach who helps Dino with statistical analysis of in-game decisions.
statistical analysis of when to have a play ready in the red zone???or when to call a time out??? or when to to accept or decline a penalty????t all of the above have nothing to do with statistical analysis

Yeah, let’s put some thought into our posts.

Year 1: beat a ranked team! No one is expecting a winning season but that was fun

Year 2: beat the #2 team in the country, lose your starting QB to injury, no one thinks he should be fired

Year 3: first 10 win season in almost 30 years, maybe our HC will get poached? We should probably re-up him

Year 4: horrible, but maybe it will get better can’t fire him for a 4 win season after the first 3 years and right after a 10 win season

Year 5: Global pandemic has season in jeopardy, no camps, new OC/DC, all conference games and a ranked OOC … horrible play but no one is getting fired unless you want to set your chances of getting anyone good on fire

Year 6: In every game in the 4th Q, 3-3 start losing the last 2 on the last play. RB gets listed on some Heisman lists, QB change sparks running game, OL hire a home run. Near every metric improved. Real signs of a good team.

When was he supposed to get fired, exactly?

“He fixed a bunch of the things we were complaining about but we’re still losing by a tiny bit at the end and therefore we should ignore everything to blindly look at winning % and wave our hands at 50/50 calls in tight games” is the weakest of sauces
he is responsible for at least 3 loses this year, he has been subborn to a fault and has been forced into this offense --not because he is good a coach,rather he has had no choice, ----everyone in the country was/is affected by covid,---he is a horrible game day coach. i cannot believe that you cannot see that??????you were the guy that said our offense will leave other teams way behind because we would sooooooo fast.
guess what---

he is responsible for at least 3 loses this year, he has been subborn to a fault and has been forced into this offense --not because he is good a coach,rather he has had no choice, ----everyone in the country was/is affected by covid,---he is a horrible game day coach. i cannot believe that you cannot see that??????you were the guy that said our offense will leave other teams way behind because we would sooooooo fast.
guess what---
He is not responsible for 3 losses, this post is ridiculous. If your going to blame him for things that have gone wrong you better credit him for all that has went right. Its spin and nothing more.

Last edited:
Look I believed in him until this season. Then the stories about practice, the weirdest fan fest you could have, the strange interviews, then starting Devito AGAIN!, then this absolutely horrific play calling, the continuing to stick with TD, the ghastly penalties (like multiple punt formation issues), and the continued general lack of foundational grasp on how to coach during a game all became too much.
thanks man I'm reading all in this thread trying to come up with what I think and you just nailed it for me

thanks man I'm reading all in this thread trying to come up with what I think and you just nailed it for me
Look I believed in him until this season. Then the stories about practice, the weirdest fan fest you could have, the strange interviews, then starting Devito AGAIN!, then this absolutely horrific play calling, the continuing to stick with TD, the ghastly penalties (like multiple punt formation issues), and the continued general lack of foundational grasp on how to coach during a game all became too much.
What horrific play calling, we scored 67 points the last 2 weeks and over 500 yds of offense the last game. I missed the stories about practice, TD was removed 3 games ago when many on this board were against the change .

I for one vote to keep him. The recruiting is better than the prior couple of coaches Dungey notwithstanding. We are improving to the point where a coaching decision or a screw up can be the difference between winning and losing. I have had hope every game. The games have been entertaining. All the coach must go nonsense hurts the program, he is not the second coming of GRob or SS. He is better than those coaches, not a perfect coach but I love his enthusiasm and the excitement this team brings. Most of all, IMO he gets a 100 percent pass for last year's disaster. BTW if a couple of the choices went the other way and they easily could have, if the refs did not screw us at FSU we could just as easily be 5 and 1. My money says stay the course. do not bend to the negativity some of the fans are feeling. If coach leaves I do not want to think of the talent we would probably lose. Things are not so bad he deserves to be let go. He has earned our support and he has mine.

I should add Sean Lewis to that list. He has taken Kent State, the absolute worst FBS program, and turned them into a MAC power and will be getting a P5 job soon.
Might want to add Coastal Carolina’s HC, too. Doing a great job.

Besides having a .280 P5 winning %, under Dino the average score has been 25.3 - 34.82 so we lose by nearly 10 ppg. That is against mainly a down ACC minus Clemson. Even if you don't count last year (still not sure why people so easily discount it) the avg is 27.25 - 35.475 which is still over one score a game.

For comparison his predecessor had an avg score of 18.433 - 29.2 so we are a whopping 2.47 ppg better under Dino.

I think Dino is a lot better than Shafer but at some point the results need to show that. He has 6 games to prove himself. I think 2-4 with close losses warrants bringing him back. While 2-4 with a sizable gap is grounds for letting him go. If we go 1-5 or even 0-6 it shouldn't be a question.

As far as I can tell, HCDB is the current coach at SU. I’ll judge him based on where we are right now, which looks like a pretty good place. Not quite there yet. But I feel like we are on the right track. That’s much more important to me than how past seasons went.

And what will your complaint be if that isn't our record? After all.. Bill Parcels.

If we can take the best team in the conference to overtime, and run the ball down the throat of not just them, but also a team like Florida State that is chock full of 4 and 5 star recruits on their defensive line, we're sure as hell going to be able to do it against peer programs that don't have those kind of defensive studs, nor offenses like wake forest to quick strike counter our ability to move the sticks and score points.

Honestly, did you even watch the last two games? Despite the frustrating outcomes, this team is trending in the right f****** direction, in a major way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom