Coaches and Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches and Recruiting

Lol you are wrong. Yeah Hop had nothing to do with Hart.

He wasn’t the main recruiter, but he helped being on staff from the same general part of Cali.

Remember that Hart nearly decommiited after being tampered with by that UCLA coach who’s name escapes me.

I seem to recall Wayne Morgan was his recruiter.

You clearly know more than me.
I never claimed he was the lead recruiter but I remember reading the article I linked and Hop helped with Hart. Which is all I said.
Also you know due to your relationships that Hop > GMac as a recruiter and it’s not close.

GMac people are annoying. I know this isn’t you but the guy isn’t in Hop’s league and I won’t lie I was scared of Hop being the next HC after the 2016 games. I was clearly wrong but I also wasn’t strongly anti-Hop I was just more worried.

With this said Hop was mentioned back in 2014 as an elite assistant coach.
Bilas/Goodman: Top head coach candidates

You GMac bashers are the annoying ones. The guy has done nothing but bleed orange from day 1 just like Hop. So what if he’s not as good as Hop yet. He more than likely never will but that isn’t a reason for all you so called fans to constantly rip him.

Lol you are wrong. Yeah Hop had nothing to do with Hart.

Wave of the future: Hopkins spends his career perfecting coaching model as he prepares to take helm at Syracuse

Former Orange guard Jason Hart first met Hopkins when he was playing AAU basketball out in California. When he arrived at Syracuse, Hopkins had only been on the coaching staff for one season. Even then, though, Hopkins understood the importance of getting to know his players. He built up a relationship and earned their trust, especially Hart.

When Hart made the nearly 3,000-mile trip from Los Angeles to Syracuse, he found himself in a new world. He was playing for a team that drew thousands of fans and captured the attention of an entire city. The spotlight was always on the Orange. Hart had never experienced anything like it.

Hart said Hopkins’ attitude, personality and genuine interest in the players’ lives were consistent. Whenever Hart needed help with something, basketball-related or not, he knew he could go to Hopkins. And he spent hours with Hopkins and his wife, Tricia.

“I think I was more like his little brother or son,” Hart said. “It was more like my comfort zone, being away from California, he was another guy I could relate to. Obviously as my coach, he was more of a friend and a mentor.”

Now as an assistant coach at Pepperdine, Hart said he’s trying to follow Hopkins’ coaching model.

When Hart received the Vic Hanson Medal of Excellence in 2011, he referred to Hopkins as his “white angel” in his acceptance speech. Hart said he saw Hopkins tear up.

After everything he had been through, Hopkins was always there for him. From an 18-year-old kid from South Central Los Angeles to a married father of two children, Hart said Hopkins helped him develop into who he is today.

Hart showed Hopkins his appreciation.
that all occurred after he was recruited

Gmac reels them in for our closer. I don’t think he deserves as much flack as he gets. Im not all that impressed across the board but its not all gmac

You clearly know more than me.
I never claimed he was the lead recruiter but I remember reading the article I linked and Hop helped with Hart. Which is all I said.
Also you know due to your relationships that Hop > GMac as a recruiter and it’s not close.

Sounds like that is exactly what you claimed and I quote

“Jason Hart was recruited by Hop in first year.
Hart alone is better than any player GMac has brought in his first 5 years.”

Sounds like that is exactly what you claimed and I quote

“Jason Hart was recruited by Hop in first year.
Hart alone is better than any player GMac has brought in his first 5 years.”
Where did I say Hop was the lead?
Jake just said Hop helped with Hart.
Also no matter how hard you try GMac is not Hop.
I am not a GMac bashes but GMac bobo fanboys who think he has been great and should be the next HC make it impossible to not to call it out. I have said for over a year GMac shouldn’t be bashed for his performance. However GMac gets graded on a curve and okay becomes spun as better than average.
GMac has done an okay job as an assistant.
Autry is the associate HC not GMac.

You GMac bashers are the annoying ones. The guy has done nothing but bleed orange from day 1 just like Hop. So what if he’s not as good as Hop yet. He more than likely never will but that isn’t a reason for all you so called fans to constantly rip him.
It’s the worst!

I will be surprised if we get any top 100 players from here on out given the performance on the court and the fact that the JB clock is 5 minutes to midnight. GMAC can make all the friends he wants but the reality is that we don’t compete for elite one and doners (bazely fell into our laps) which means that unless there is a succession plan in place that we don’t know about, the coaches can no longer guarantee that they will be there when the kid graduates. This scenario will only get worse as Buddy gets closer and closer to graduating.

If I am JW I spend the next off season hiring a hot up and comer as coach in waiting or pick one of Red/Griffin to be the hc in waiting. If he doesn’t then we become the ultimate lame duck program.

I quoted your exact words guy. You said Hop brought in Heart and he alone is better than anyone GMac brought in. That sound to me and any other sane person like you are giving Hop sole credit for bringing in Heart.
Having a disagreement with you is like having one with a four year old. I will now check out of this tread and let you carry on with your tantrum.

I quoted your exact words guy. You said Hop brought in Heart and he alone is better than anyone GMac brought in. That sound to me and any other sane person like you are giving Hop sole credit for bringing in Heart.
Having a disagreement with you is like having one with a four year old. I will now check out of this tread and let you carry on with your tantrum.
Have a good day. If people come strong at me I come strong at them.
I don’t start and sorry you feel the way you do.
I never say my opinions are better than anyone else’s I am loud and don’t care.
GMac shouldn’t even be considered right now as the next SU HC IMO and my opinions on him are really on that narrative. He is doing fine as an assistant but he isn’t the top assistant right now.

The entire lack of recruiting here is overblown. We are on track to have a better recruiting class than Virginia for the third year in a row and we have had a better class than Virginia Tech 2 our of the last 3 years according to 2 4 7 with this years being very similar, yet neither of those teams have trouble winning regular season games. Makes me think we have a player development issue more than a recruiting issue.

The entire lack of recruiting here is overblown. We are on track to have a better recruiting class than Virginia for the third year in a town and we have had a better class than Virginia Tech 2 our of the last 3 years according to 2 4 7 with this years being very similar, yet neither of those teams have trouble winning regular season games. Makes me think we have a player development issue more than a recruiting issue.

Agree and I believe Jake has mentioned that as well but don't want to speak for him.

The entire lack of recruiting here is overblown. We are on track to have a better recruiting class than Virginia for the third year in a row and we have had a better class than Virginia Tech 2 our of the last 3 years according to 2 4 7 with this years being very similar, yet neither of those teams have trouble winning regular season games. Makes me think we have a player development issue more than a recruiting issue.
Sounds like a ... coaching problem. *gasp*.

I will be surprised if we get any top 100 players from here on out given the performance on the court and the fact that the JB clock is 5 minutes to midnight. GMAC can make all the friends he wants but the reality is that we don’t compete for elite one and doners (bazely fell into our laps) which means that unless there is a succession plan in place that we don’t know about, the coaches can no longer guarantee that they will be there when the kid graduates. This scenario will only get worse as Buddy gets closer and closer to graduating.

If I am JW I spend the next off season hiring a hot up and comer as coach in waiting or pick one of Red/Griffin to be the hc in waiting. If he doesn’t then we become the ultimate lame duck program.
Be prepared to be surprised then. SU is going to keep getting top 100 players.
And the idea SU doesn't compete for one and dones might be accurate. SU never did much of that. Two and done studs was the winning strategy - Fab, MCW, Dion, Lydon. And the attempts at studs have continued - Bazely and recently I Stewart. And we just got QG who is another in the two and done mold (I'm sorry if your rating service doesn't recognize this).

And you may have to offset some of the uncertainty of future coaching with the idea some may want to get in and play for a HOFer before he retires.

Yes, Wayne Morgan was the primary for both Hart and Ramel Lloyd. He got hired by Long Beach State -- replacing our old pal Seth Greenberg -- right after the 1996 Final Four run, which left both kids uncertain. Boeheim staved off Jim Harrick's tampering while Hopkins played big brother and Hart stayed, but Lloyd ended up dissatisfied and followed Morgan across the country after his freshman year.

His job is recruit and he has been very mediocre at it.

Have a good day. If people come strong at me I come strong at them.
I don’t start and sorry you feel the way you do.
I never say my opinions are better than anyone else’s I am loud and don’t care.
GMac shouldn’t even be considered right now as the next SU HC IMO and my opinions on him are really on that narrative. He is doing fine as an assistant but he isn’t the top assistant right now.

You are confusing me with someone else. I never said GMac should be the coach.

His job is recruit and he has been very mediocre at it.

Here’s all the crap Gerry has going against him recruiting for SU.

We’ve been under NCAA sanctions the whole time he’s been a recruiter for us.
JB is less engaged in recruiting.
JB is up against retirement.
JB dictates who recruits a specific kid not GMac.
Our style is unattractive to recruits ever since he started recruiting.
We are no longer in the BE
We don’t play where we recruit anymore, Philly, DC, etc.
We don’t play in the BET in the garden anymore.
Baring a couple miracle runs in the NCAA tournament we have sucked.

We are not comparing apples to apples. If GMac and Hop switched places would the results be different?

Here’s all the crap Gerry has going against him recruiting for SU.

We’ve been under NCAA sanctions the whole time he’s been a recruiter for us.
JB is less engaged in recruiting.
JB is up against retirement.
JB dictates who recruits a specific kid not GMac.
Our style is unattractive to recruits ever since he started recruiting.
We are no longer in the BE
We don’t play where we recruit anymore, Philly, DC, etc.
We don’t play in the BET in the garden anymore.
Baring a couple miracle runs in the NCAA tournament we have sucked.

We are not comparing apples to apples. If GMac and Hop switched places would the results be different?

Eh, there's a lot of subjective stuff in there (and some repetitive and not-entirely-accurate thoughts, as well). Maybe it just highlights the fact that some people are comparing apples and oranges.

No Big East? That sucks for OttoMets, but I don't know that your average 17-year-old and family care about that. And I'm sure for a lot of recruits, the 2019 ACC is more appealing than the "Big Least" that so many people were disparaging in the late '90s and early '00s when Hopkins hit the road for the first time.

Boeheim has final say in recruiting, but the assistants have a ton of discretion.

Boeheim's up against retirement? People have been whispering about that or the NBA for 25 years now. Yes, it's really a negative - he's a lot closer to the end than he's ever been, obviously, and it's used against SU.

Style. That's not helping; I agree with you.

Geography. This might be a factor, I don't know.

"We've sucked." Yeah, that's hard to overcome. It's also the same thing Hopkins was hearing when he started. It's a real obstacle, but McNamara's not the first person to deal with it.

I'm not sure that this topic needs so much attention. Nobody on this board knows anything about any Syracuse coach's recruiting ability. Maybe it's results-oriented, but there's only so much you can conclude based on results - we're talking about the whims of high school kids in a process that involves shady money, pushy parent/guardians, and weird high school coaches. SU's recruiting is down, its player development leaves something to be desired, and its win/loss record isn't as good as it used to be. We don't know who's responsible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom