Coaches boxes | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches boxes

some of you guys sound like a bunch of prima donnas. good grief.
Prima donnas? Or people who like the process of critical thought to solve issues no matter how small. I'd like to think the latter.

After going to the BC game at the end of the year, returning to the Dome will be like a palace. Can’t imagine the whining some folks would do if we played where the Eagles do. I’ve been to HS stadiums better than that.

I missed part of the first and the entire 2nd quarter and three scores to wait in a joke of a line for 2 sodas and 2 hot dogs. That was the short line, the beer line was way worse. The stadium was less than half full too. What the hell?

I missed part of the first and the entire 2nd quarter and three scores to wait in a joke of a line for 2 sodas and 2 hot dogs. That was the short line, the beer line was way worse. The stadium was less than half full too. What the hell?
Same here left with five minutes left in half to get my son and myself a beer at the end of halftime I was halfway through the line said screw it.

Prima donnas? Or people who like the process of critical thought to solve issues no matter how small. I'd like to think the latter.

um no, definitely prima donnas.

there's not a lot of critical thought in complaining about everything, half of which are gripes about luxuries and how to spend other peoples money.

um no, definitely prima donnas.

there's not a lot of critical thought in complaining about everything, half of which are gripes about luxuries and how to spend other peoples money.
One man's complaints is another man's wishes. One man's gripe is another man's highlighting. I find many of the wish list to be interesting and enlightening. One man's dream.....

Is this seriously an issue?

I’ve never heard of this.
It is for me. Unfortunately I can't tell you how many times I've stood there for 5 minutes without a trickle. Obviously I have issues.

But I refuse to give in and go to the stalls. I want to be a member of the great unwashed like anyone else

So I've realized that 6 beers is the minimum before I'll head for the bathroom. Feeling like I'm going to burst. And only during game time. Certainly not at half

As I'm walking there I'll say to myself, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

And ya know what? See I still think I can

You must’ve been REALLY hungry/thirsty. I would’ve bailed after 5 minutes, lol.

You are 100% wrong here on the Urinal/Trough discussion. Troughs take longer than urinals because it's easier for people to have "stage fright" and then either have to stand there for a while before they can pee or just go wait in another line until they can use a regular toilet.
I hope you are joking...I have been to Boston College where they have urinals and it is a disaster, took me 30 minutes to take a wiz there one time. And that was during a ND BC game and the stadium was only 2/3 full. I have never waited more than 5 minutes at the Dome.

The leaked rendering back in May of '16 I believe accompanied a related article suggesting that the roof cost (per that original stunning design) was $105 million out of the projected $255 million total, which included $50 million for the Arch reno, along with an additional unspecified $100 million designated for ADA and other Dome improvements, etc. I wonder what the current roof cost is in comparison to that original $105, no doubt it reflects the lion's share of the $118 million.

That article stated that The Walter's Group was the steel fabricator/design contractor, with Turner Construction being the GC or Construction Manager. Populous was the architectural design firm. With that latest video from Sala stating things are well under way with certain aspects of the steel prep work, etc., it's interesting that the university hasn't released any information on who is doing what, etc. I wonder why?

There just seems to be a lot of secrecy, for lack of a better word, at least to the general public and region as to who the player's are, specifics, etc. Just that the shell work will begin in May, with the "heavy lifting" coming next March. I think it's difficult for most in the local community to get excited about the project, especially when most people are visual beings, and very little has been put out there visually to get excited about. I find it somewhat peculiar.

4500 new season ticket buyers tells me that the primary reason people attend games is to support a good competitive program. I want SU to put its resources in hiring and retaining exceptional coaches. In creating a great environment for its student athletes by providing the best practice facilities, medical and training staffs, living quarters, and academic support system possible.
The Dome in comparison to the countless number of sports venues i have been fortunate to attend is actually very good and about to get much better. We have one of the most recognizable stadiums in America. When we have a large crowd it provides a significant home field advantage. It provides SU which is one of the wettest cities in the country a venue that allows us a huge recruiting advantage vs an open air stadium.
It is a great on campus Stadium.
Nobody in my opinion goes to a game for a great meal, a marble bathroom, or air conditioning. They go to support a winner. Fenway, Wrigley, The Big House, Duke, Kansas are all tight, cramped dungeons that are amazing venues.
I have been at some of our great wins. Nebraska, PSU, and a few amazing basketball games. After those games i never heard anyone complaining about anything. We are fortunate to have tge Dome and i do believe the upgrades are going to make a big impact.
So buy some tickets, get a slice and a beer at the Varsity before the game, take a leak before some HS kid from Solvey belts out the National Anthem, and Squeeze your butt down on Alcoas finest. Get Sweaty, scream, stomp your feet and enjoy watching our team upset Clemson this fall because that experience is what makes a great stadium.

4500 new season ticket buyers tells me that the primary reason people attend games is to support a good competitive program. I want SU to put its resources in hiring and retaining exceptional coaches. In creating a great environment for its student athletes by providing the best practice facilities, medical and training staffs, living quarters, and academic support system possible.
The Dome in comparison to the countless number of sports venues i have been fortunate to attend is actually very good and about to get much better. We have one of the most recognizable stadiums in America. When we have a large crowd it provides a significant home field advantage. It provides SU which is one of the wettest cities in the country a venue that allows us a huge recruiting advantage vs an open air stadium.
It is a great on campus Stadium.
Nobody in my opinion goes to a game for a great meal, a marble bathroom, or air conditioning. They go to support a winner. Fenway, Wrigley, The Big House, Duke, Kansas are all tight, cramped dungeons that are amazing venues.
I have been at some of our great wins. Nebraska, PSU, and a few amazing basketball games. After those games i never heard anyone complaining about anything. We are fortunate to have tge Dome and i do believe the upgrades are going to make a big impact.
So buy some tickets, get a slice and a beer at the Varsity before the game, take a leak before some HS kid from Solvey belts out the National Anthem, and Squeeze your butt down on Alcoas finest. Get Sweaty, scream, stomp your feet and enjoy watching our team upset Clemson this fall because that experience is what makes a great stadium.
52FB2A9D-51AD-4B96-9877-4AAB22CF3DD6.gif

The leaked rendering back in May of '16 I believe accompanied a related article suggesting that the roof cost (per that original stunning design) was $105 million out of the projected $255 million total, which included $50 million for the Arch reno, along with an additional unspecified $100 million designated for ADA and other Dome improvements, etc. I wonder what the current roof cost is in comparison to that original $105, no doubt it reflects the lion's share of the $118 million.

That article stated that The Walter's Group was the steel fabricator/design contractor, with Turner Construction being the GC or Construction Manager. Populous was the architectural design firm. With that latest video from Sala stating things are well under way with certain aspects of the steel prep work, etc., it's interesting that the university hasn't released any information on who is doing what, etc. I wonder why?

There just seems to be a lot of secrecy, for lack of a better word, at least to the general public and region as to who the player's are, specifics, etc. Just that the shell work will begin in May, with the "heavy lifting" coming next March. I think it's difficult for most in the local community to get excited about the project, especially when most people are visual beings, and very little has been put out there visually to get excited about. I find it somewhat peculiar.
I believe I read that the new roof cost $78M. If true that’s a savings of $27M. But I have to say, given the starkly contrasting aesthetics, will it be worth it? Goes back to the mantra that they’ll do it the cheapest way possible without considering long term ROI. We go from a design that looks like a cutting edge Superdome to some abstract crustini that a chef sticks on top of a fancy plate.

I believe I read that the new roof cost $78M. If true that’s a savings of $27M. But I have to say, given the starkly contrasting aesthetics, will it be worth it? Goes back to the mantra that they’ll do it the cheapest way possible without considering long term ROI.

If they were doing it the cheapest way possible you would just replace it with the same thing. They are doing it within the budget.

If they were doing it the cheapest way possible you would just replace it with the same thing. They are doing it within the budget.

Do you know if it was 100% budget related or whether not wanting to lose a season of football and hoops also factored into the equation? The $27 million roof difference (if indeed that's what it was) between that original stunning design and what they chose to go with isn't really monumental in the entire realm of things. Especially, when considering something that probably will be there for the next half century plus or so. The aesthetic appeal is though, it is IMO a night and day type difference.

As kcsu's excellent post above mentions, the Dome is one of the most recognizable venues in America, and certainly with it being on campus, it clearly separates itself as something unique, that no other university or college has. It truly is, IMO, a crown jewel.

You've pointed out in a few posts here, that there are going to be 3 phases. Do you know if they had gone with that original stunning design, they could've still done it in stages? And, because losing football and hoops was a driving force as well, it was ultimately ruled against? I realize budget constraints, etc, but they were considering that original design at one point as you don't get drawings and schematics like that if otherwise. And, with all the surplus revenue that SU's athletic department brings in now and in future decades to come from being in the ACC vs. Big East, etc., it appears the money would be there if they had desired to go that original route.

Last edited:
I believe I read that the new roof cost $78M. If true that’s a savings of $27M. But I have to say, given the starkly contrasting aesthetics, will it be worth it? Goes back to the mantra that they’ll do it the cheapest way possible without considering long term ROI. We go from a design that looks like a cutting edge Superdome to some abstract crustini that a chef sticks on top of a fancy plate.
Oh boy be careful you don’t want to upset the Apple cart and call su cheap

I have to agree, at first I was excited cause they are doing something and with them anything Is better then nothing. This seems like the cheapest option they could do. The dome is antiquated beyond repair. Changing the roof and adding a scoreboard deals with one issue and that’s roof failure. For the fans; parking, bathrooms, seating, concourse and food aren’t being addressed. The people that spend their hard earned money get nothing but a scoreboard and being able to open a vent to let a small amount a fresh air into an incubator. All this is a makeover to get a cheap university a lot more time without spending the big money on a replacement that will ultimately just be another half assed stadium. Without new exterior walls creating much needed room and options this will ultimately be viewed as another cheap out the university has done. This will be the grob of building remodeling
Aren't you the guy that said the steel for the new roof was in fabrication and the cranes were already being shipped about two years ago? I know that when I see any institution spending $100 million on a roof, I think, "Well this is half-assed." I could build 300,000 SF in NYC for that money. You're worried about the people in the stands who've spent their hard earned money, but ignoring the students and their parents who's $70,000 tuition is actually paying for it. We should have mortgaged the entire university along with any plans to improve the student academic experience for a new stadium!? I'd rather look at the big picture of building a sustained growth in the university's image, and it's research income, that will eventually pay for many more upgrades of facilities for athletics and otherwise. This isn't entirely a case of penny wise pound foolish.

I have said in other threads that Geiger is running the show. They are the structural engineers and the contractors I believe. Populous is still in the mix, but in a VERY reduced role. It is my understanding they are executing the ADA design, and that is all right now.

I have said in other threads that Geiger is running the show. They are the structural engineers and the contractors I believe. Populous is still in the mix, but in a VERY reduced role. It is my understanding they are executing the ADA design, and that is all right now.

Thanks, I missed that somehow relative to Geiger. Based upon your posts I've read (and remember ;)) it's quite obvious you have excellent knowledge and expertise in this field. I very much appreciate the posts you make here in that regard.

That being said, unless I missed that as well, I don't think it has been made/said publicly by SU whom the players currently are, which was the premise of my post, along with the very limited visual details released to the local/regional community. This is where in my thinking, I find it to be somewhat peculiar, as without same, it's rather difficult for the public to get too roused up about.

Well at least we'll get very nice escalators then.

On a related note, are there anything aesthetic enhancements they could add to the roof besides wrapping the new structure?

Maybe this has been posted, but after learning Geiger was the structural engineering outfit, I went to their site and found this color pic.

Carrier Dome | Geiger Engineers

Work | Geiger Engineers

Edit: After some further browsing on their site, under the "special" heading there is a picture of a center hung LED scoreboard that Geiger designed the structural aluminum framing and support truss grid at the new (2016) Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. I wonder if the huge scoreboard going in the Dome will be quite similar, possibly larger?

Last edited:
Maybe this has been posted, but after learning Geiger was the structural engineering outfit, I went to their site and found this color pic.

That's the best rendering we've seen to date of what we'll be getting. I now have concerns that wrapping the exterior will choke off some of the natural light that would otherwise pass through.

while it means next to nothing, you can clearly see how Archibold is connected to the dome on the east side.

yep. the Arch as its now called.

Work | Geiger Engineers

Edit: After some further browsing on their site, under the "special" heading there is a picture of a center hung LED scoreboard that Geiger designed the structural aluminum framing and support truss grid at the new (2016) Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. I wonder if the huge scoreboard going in the Dome will be quite similar, possibly larger?
Thx for the links. The center display is pretty sweet - 4k too ;) But looking at the Dome Roof rendering, it will be an act of prestidigitation to get that thing done between March 2020 and the third game of the FB season.

Last edited:
That's the best rendering we've seen to date of what we'll be getting. I now have concerns that wrapping the exterior will choke off some of the natural light that would otherwise pass through.

Perhaps, if they were to do any type of wrapping, possibly some sort of cool/interesting metal/steel lattice type would work. This would allow for light to still come through, as well as the more critical air flow. There's all types of configurations they could do, depending on cost of course. Additionally, depending upon what they chose, they could light it up and reflect the chosen design/art work at night. That could be real cool.

images

images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom