Coaching Staff completed -- New DB Coach Fred Reed | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff completed -- New DB Coach Fred Reed

DCCuse

Tailgate Buffet Legend
CoachingSearch.com reporting that Fred Reed, DB coach at Ohio University has been hired.

Coached under Frank Solich who I respect
Previous DC experience while at Buffalo
Previous Recruiting coordinator experience

Dislike
Not from East (wanted a NJ or Mid-atlantic guy)

CoachingSearch.com reporting that Fred Reed, DB coach at Ohio University has been hired.

Coached under Frank Solich who I respect
Previous DC experience while at Buffalo
Previous Recruiting coordinator experience

Dislike
Not from East (wanted a NJ or Mid-atlantic guy)
Specializes in recruiting Chicago and Detroit. I would think we have both covered already but with Wheatley gone, Reed might be helpful in Detroit.

This is an article about him when he was hired by Turner Gill to serve as his DC at Buffalo.

And below is some video of him talking about spring practice last season. Seems well spoken, very intelligent.

I like the versitility that so many of the new hired coaches have. Almost all, if not all, have had multiple responsibilities in the past. It would have been nice for a high profile NJ/NY recruiter to be included in this group but at least most of them are regarded as good recruiteers and have had Recruiter Coordinator attached to their name in the past at some point. I also like that these men have had extensive coaching experience in teh college ranks. They are already developed as coaches and this will further help develop the guys we have on the team and those coming!

Specializes in recruiting Chicago and Detroit. I would think we have both covered already but with Wheatley gone, Reed might be helpful in Detroit.

This is an article about him when he was hired by Turner Gill to serve as his DC at Buffalo.

And below is some video of him talking about spring practice last season. Seems well spoken, very intelligent.

I really don't like the fact that we have few coaches from the NE.

That was a huge problem for Robinson.

I only hope that these guys have NE contacts though that does not seem to be the case.

I really don't like the fact that we have few coaches from the NE.

That was a huge problem for Robinson.

I only hope that these guys have NE contacts though that does not seem to be the case.
Outside of NYC name a coach from the last staff that had a solid east coast background

Meh, was hoping for a little bit more but I think we'll be fine. Doesn't mean he won't do a good job, just thought the reason we waited was to get someone at a higher level.

MAC! I guess our coaches will be needing to ask for directions when they travel downstate.

Once they announce we're moving to the B1G, we're going to be the best recruiters in the league if you don't count the school in Ohio.

We need to recruit NJ better and these coaches from the midwest will have a real tough time. Can't rely on Rob Moore in NY/NJ exclusively...

If the coaches stay long enough, they will establish solid relationships with HS coaches in the areas they recruit. In the shorter term, it may need special attention and additional attention from HCSS.

Reed has a few seasons under his belt as Special Teams coordinator. Seems like a good addition.

Outside of NYC name a coach from the last staff that had a solid east coast background

I hear you, but you're asking me to ignore the two most important guys on the last staff.

You just can't ignore the relationship that Anselmo and Marrone had with NYC.

They were obviously the keys to that area - and it helped us a lot.

Yes, Wheatley and Henderson and Adkins were not NY guys or NE guys, but the present staff does not replace Marrone or Anselmo and that hurts.

How do you know that? Good recruiters can recruit anywhere. How about you give them a chance first?

I hope you're right.

But my experience has been that relationships are the key and it takes time to build them.

That's the issue.

Here’s what they should do.

Get the bus gassed up, identify the top 50-100 high school football programs in the Northeast (NY, Connecticut, Mass, Pennsylvania, New Jersey), take one week and have the band go on a Northeast Tour. Stop in to these high school programs, shake hands, introduce yourselves, give the coaches your phone numbers and spring practice schedules etc., tell them you’d like them to visit for a spring practice whatever.

This type of meet and greet would go a long way in relationship building and goodwill. I know Schiano did it (at least in NJ) and I’m pretty sure Bill OBrien did when he took over Penn State. I believe OBrien went all over New Jersey with key staff members in tow.

I hear you, but you're asking me to ignore the two most important guys on the last staff.

You just can't ignore the relationship that Anselmo and Marrone had with NYC.

They were obviously the keys to that area - and it helped us a lot.

Yes, Wheatley and Henderson and Adkins were not NY guys or NE guys, but the present staff does not replace Marrone or Anselmo and that hurts.
And they also were unable to reel in the top NYC recruits.

Was dc while I was at school at buffalo, brought in some good recruits and coached them up well. We won a mac title for what's it worth

But is he Hard-Nosed?!? Welcome aboard Coach Reed. Spring practice is right around the corner. Shamarko left some big shoes to fill, both on and off the field. Get your guys going!

And they also were unable to reel in the top NYC recruits.

You do realize they had two weeks to try and salvage this class? Almost the entire staffed changed and those recruits felt it altered why the chose SU in the first place. This staff will select the players they feel they can win with and get them from wherever they can.

Let's go over this again. That school down there in Jersey gets plenty of NJ talent and has accomplished what? Where is their signature win over ANYBODY? I think some here would be happy with losing as long as we get recruits out of NJ.

You do realize they had two weeks to try and salvage this class? Almost the entire staffed changed and those recruits felt it altered why the chose SU in the first place. This staff will select the players they feel they can win with and get them from wherever they can.

Let's go over this again. That school down there in Jersey gets plenty of NJ talent and has accomplished what? Where is there signature win over ANYBODY? I think some here would be happy with losing as long as we get recruits out of NJ.
You do realize I was referring to our old NY/NJ recruiters. Being as people are making a big deal out of the lack of experience the new staff has.

We need to recruit NJ better and these coaches from the midwest will have a real tough time. Can't rely on Rob Moore in NY/NJ exclusively...

More Important:

1. Ability to Recruit NJ Better

2. Ability to Recruit OH better

In terms of priorities, I'll go with #2...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom