COASTAL OR ATLANTIC? | Syracusefan.com

COASTAL OR ATLANTIC?

UelSU

All Conference
If they leave the current divisions intact and just added SU to one and Pitt to the other, which division would you prefer? I say Coastal. Good basketball and I would only be 4 hours away from GT!

If they stay the same I'd rather be in the Atlantic with BC and Maryland, But I really hope they go with a north and south divisional setup.

If we go to the Coastal, then I think they will make our cross-over rival BC and make Pitt, VT's cross-over rival.

If we go to the Atlantic (which I prefer since we get FSU, Clemson, BC, and Maryland) they make Pitt our cross-over rival.

I still don't think they will do divisions in basketball, despite what Coach K and Roy want.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree with the North/South division. Since the 3 schools that make up the research triangle are super tight, I would suggest adding WF to the north. Play each team in your division (6 games) and then another 2 from the other division, making sure that series like UVA/UNC happen every year. It cane be done.

If there is concern about the balance of football "powers," than I'd like to see the 6 northern teams along with Miami in one division and the 4 in NC, Clemson, GT and FSU in the other.

Atlantic. BC, MD, FSU, etc. Then make our crossover VT

If we go to the Coastal, then I think they will make our cross-over rival BC and make Pitt, VT's cross-over rival.

If we go to the Atlantic (which I prefer since we get FSU, Clemson, BC, and Maryland) they make Pitt our cross-over rival.

I still don't think they will do divisions in basketball, despite what Coach K and Roy want.

Cheers,
Neil
I agree with all of this, including preference of the Atlantic. I'd rather play BC and Pitt each year and also have the BC game count double in our division standings (e.g., win for SU AND loss for BC, along with SU's win or loss vs. Pitt and BC's likely loss to VPI) instead of the VPI game (e.g., difficult win for SU AND occasional loss for VPI, along with SU's win vs. BC and VPI's frequent win vs. Pitt)

This is also the way of least resistance as nothing else needs to be changed for the rest of the conference.

Atlantic is more attractive overall, but man I'd love to get an annual game with VaTech back on the schedule. That was my favorite old Big East rivalry, and there was some genuine heat to it by the time they left.

But honestly, either is infinitely better than who we play now.

We'll be in the Coastal. Our cross over rival will be Boston College, and Pitt's will be Virginia Tech. The Coastal is much better for our recruiting too. We've been recruiting Georgia and southern Florida under Marrone. Having Georgia Tech and Miami in our division will only aid him in his quest for recruits down there. Throw in North Carolina who has the same level football program as us right now, Virginia Tech who is a power, and Duke who we should be able to beat up on.

There will probably be a 9 game conference schedule. So there will be 6 in division games, plus BC as a cross over. Then we'll get two against the other 6 members of the Atlantic. So, we'll still see Florida State, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Wake Forest, and North Carolina State a lot.

I would say coastal. Also a hitch that would be nice would be to slide VA over to the atlantic and make them a crossover for VT.
Su.....BC
VT.....VA
Pitt....MD
Miami..FSU
Wake...Duke
NCST...NC
GT......Clemson

Could also flip flop PITT and MD
Would be good for FB and BB
BB 19 game schedule play your division 2 times other 1 time

Duke and UNC are in the Coastal. I would also prefer to have UVA in the Atlantic with VaTech as their cross over. Then move UMD to the Coastal and Make Pitt their cross over rival.

So it would look like this...

Syracuse----------Boston College
Maryland---------Pittsburgh
Miami-------------Florida State
Georgia Tech-----Clemson
Duke--------------Wake Forest
North Carolina---North Carolina State
Virginia Tech-----Virginia

If they stay the same I'd rather be in the Atlantic with BC and Maryland, But I really hope they go with a north and south divisional setup.

This with Pitt as our cross over. That is what I would go for.

No question I would want the Coastal division with BC as our cross-over and Va Tech-Pitt becoming crossover opponents. We have history with Pitt, BC, Miami, Va Tech we want a minimum of 3 of them on the schedule each year. I would believe though we are going to probably be put in the Atlantic Division because they won't want to mess with the cross-over games, and if we went to the Coastal we wouldn't get BC and Pitt each year where if we went to the Atlantic we would be able to play both BC and Pitt each year.

Duke and UNC are in the Coastal. I would also prefer to have UVA in the Atlantic with VaTech as their cross over. Then move UMD to the Coastal and Make Pitt their cross over rival.

So it would look like this...

Syracuse----------Boston College
Maryland---------Pittsburgh
Miami-------------Florida State
Georgia Tech-----Clemson
Duke--------------Wake Forest
North Carolina---North Carolina State
Virginia Tech-----Virginia

VA...VT
MD...Pitt
Clemson...GT
FSU......Miami
BC...SU
NC...NCST
Duke.....Wake

I still like this. works out great for FB and BB.

No question I would want the Coastal division with BC as our cross-over and Va Tech-Pitt becoming crossover opponents. We have history with Pitt, BC, Miami, Va Tech we want a minimum of 3 of them on the schedule each year. I would believe though we are going to probably be put in the Atlantic Division because they won't want to mess with the cross-over games, and if we went to the Coastal we wouldn't get BC and Pitt each year where if we went to the Atlantic we would be able to play both BC and Pitt each year.

Disagree. I think if we did go to the Coastal, the ACC would break up the VT-BC cross-over rivalry and make BC our rival and VT Pitt's rival.

But let's be realistic here. The ACC isn't going to do anything that is in the best interests of either SU or Pitt. The deciding factor on all of this is going to be what is best for the schools currently in the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

We'll be in the Coastal. Our cross over rival will be Boston College, and Pitt's will be Virginia Tech. The Coastal is much better for our recruiting too. We've been recruiting Georgia and southern Florida under Marrone. Having Georgia Tech and Miami in our division will only aid him in his quest for recruits down there. Throw in North Carolina who has the same level football program as us right now, Virginia Tech who is a power, and Duke who we should be able to beat up on.

There will probably be a 9 game conference schedule. So there will be 6 in division games, plus BC as a cross over. Then we'll get two against the other 6 members of the Atlantic. So, we'll still see Florida State, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Wake Forest, and North Carolina State a lot.

I think this pretty much nails it. From a recruiting standpoint, it is absolutely essential. A North/South configuration is no good for SU. SU wouldn't get into Florida enough to make it attractive to the recruits down there, and Maryland, Eastern PA and VA have been pretty dry for SU lately. Best case would be SU in the Coastal with BC, Pitt and UMD as crossover opponents. Strengthens recruiting and preserves all of the old rivalries.

What's the big deal with playing BC? They haven't been good since the 80's. I'd rather re-establish a rivalry with VT and Miami in the Coastal.

What's the big deal with playing BC? They haven't been good since the 80's. I'd rather re-establish a rivalry with VT and Miami in the Coastal.

BC was quite good this past decade achieving at least 9 wins in 6 of the last 10 years and never below 7 wins in any of those seasons finishing in the Top 25 in 5 of those years.

Cheers,
Neil

BC is in the atlantic division so they are saying they would be our crossover rival. VT would be in our division so we would play them anyway. BC has been in 3 acc championship games so they are not that bad.

But let's be realistic here. The ACC isn't going to do anything that is in the best interests of either SU or Pitt. The deciding factor on all of this is going to be what is best for the schools currently in the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

I think the deciding factor may be what is perceived to be in the best interests of the Carolina 4.

Haven't been goos since the 80's? What have you been watching. they stink this year but have had a pretty damn good run the last 10 years...

If they leave the current divisions intact and just added SU to one and Pitt to the other, which division would you prefer? I say Coastal. Good basketball and I would only be 4 hours away from GT!
Neither. The ACC needs to switch to North and South divisions. It will enhance rivalries more doing it this way and save a lot on travel costs.

I continue to believe it will be a 10 game conference schedule for football. I think there will be 6 games against your divisional opponents and one game against your cross over rival in the other division each year. You play the other 6 teams in the opposite division every other year (3 one year, the other 3 the next year). This way, the conference schedule is balanced and you never go more than 1 year without playing someone else in the conference.

I think the deciding factor may be what is perceived to be in the best interests of the Carolina 4.

That settles it. We need to get NY Governor Cuomo involved.

I think the best thing for FB and BBall would be North and South.

North- Miami, VT, Pitt, SU, UVA, BC, MD
South- FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke

This set up keeps just about everyone happy. In FB play division teams (6 games), cross over rival (1), and then rotate the other 6 teams (2 games) for a total of 9 games. That means you play the other division teams once in three years, home one in six. In BBall you play division teams twice (12 games), cross over rival (1), then rotate the other 6 teams (3 games) for a total of 16 games. That mens you play the teams in the other division every other year, home one in four. I rather go 19 games but based on what Coach K was saying I think we will see the 16 game setup. Which of course gives SU two extra OOC games a year. That can be used to schedule GTown and one of Nova or St Johns without making our schedule too hard.

Cross over rivals
Miami-FSU
VT-Clemson
Pitt-NC St
SU-GA Tech
UVA-UNC
BC-Wake
MD-Duke

I think the best thing for FB and BBall would be North and South.

North- Miami, VT, Pitt, SU, UVA, BC, MD
South- FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke

This set up keeps just about everyone happy. In FB play division teams (6 games), cross over rival (1), and then rotate the other 6 teams (2 games) for a total of 9 games. That means you play the other division teams once in three years, home one in six. In BBall you play division teams twice (12 games), cross over rival (1), then rotate the other 6 teams (3 games) for a total of 16 games. That mens you play the teams in the other division every other year, home one in four. I rather go 19 games but based on what Coach K was saying I think we will see the 16 game setup. Which of course gives SU two extra OOC games a year. That can be used to schedule GTown and one of Nova or St Johns without making our schedule too hard.

Cross over rivals
Miami-FSU
VT-Clemson
Pitt-NC St
SU-GA Tech
UVA-UNC
BC-Wake
MD-Duke
From everything I've read, VT does not want this. They want a team added to each existing division. And we're not going to have much say about where we land. But that's OK - it's all good at this point.

Neither. The ACC needs to switch to North and South divisions. It will enhance rivalries more doing it this way and save a lot on travel costs.

I continue to believe it will be a 10 game conference schedule for football. I think there will be 6 games against your divisional opponents and one game against your cross over rival in the other division each year. You play the other 6 teams in the opposite division every other year (3 one year, the other 3 the next year). This way, the conference schedule is balanced and you never go more than 1 year without playing someone else in the conference.

As I see it, the strict North/South divisional split at this point in time puts too much of the football power in the South (even with Miami in the North) since the 4 best football programs in the league now (and for the foreseeable future) are VT-FSU-Clemson-GT.

While I understand your reasons why you believe there will be a 10-game conference schedule, I can tell you that FSU-Clemson-GT are already complaining about the proposed 9 game schedule and want a commitment from the rest of the league that they will each schedule a tough OOC BCS opponent each and every year since those three are "locked" into season-ending games with Florida-South Carolina-Georgia.

I don't see a 10-game schedule happening until there are 13 regular seasons games or unless the SEC starts playing only themselves and SunBelt/FCS schools.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom