Cohen Article on HCSS- Great Job | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cohen Article on HCSS- Great Job

@RMH44 & @CuseAction : lighten up or Bees will put you both in timeout.
Why?

Do have have a visual of KJB?

Does he have his finger on the button? ;-)

Hmmm, since you find the need to extoll your academic achievements I'd call BS.

Btw, I've hired many people with similar educational credentials from academic institutions with much loftier reputations than SU that were nothing more than stuffed-shirts/blouses...educated idiots.
You should read the book Twilight of the Elites...it's about how the meritocracy that has replaced the aristocracy in this country is messing everything up despite good intentions. Power now flows to those who are good at taking a test, which very often has almost nothing to do with who is best suited for a particular job. Even the military has this egg-head problem through the way they select for the academies. And you will find that sometimes those who get the best grades have very little actual working knowledge - they are just genetically well-suited to memorizing facts for exams. In the time of the aristocracy, at least you knew that for the most part the elites who were running the show had a very broad and deep education and hopefully some sense of moral responsibility and obligation for ruling over the rest of us plebes. In the meritocracy all that counts is winning...and the terms on which you win say very little about your ability to lead. Not calling for a return to feudal days here, just furthering your point that grades by themselves mean very very little. Anyway an interesting read as it is written by a liberal who has surely benefited from the meritocracy and really just throws the whole idea of what is fair on its head for reconsideration.

having said all of that...Cohen has shown his true colors a few too many time to win me back with one decently written homage piece. And the comparisons to Thamel are somewhat insulting to Pete who despite his somewhat hackneyed style is a very solid reporter and also truly a good guy with a moral compass that Cohen has thus far not proven he has. Would be great to see more work like this profiling team members and their backstories, and whatever else. I actually don't really blame Cohen though for much of what he's done to-date...there is clearly an editor or two driving this. But if he thinks he's going to get to the NY times because he's on the 'cutting edge' of journalism at syracuse.com, he's sadly mistaken and being misled by his mentors at the post standard...they are leading him down a path that goes straight to the job title of local sports blogger. Making up controversy to drive page clicks is not something that gets you to the big time. I hope he's figured that out and will do more work like what he's done here.

Cohen is so evil, he's causing internal battles on this website. Burn him.

guy is now 1 for 10-

now does his average continue to climb or does he start striking out again

You should read the book Twilight of the Elites...it's about how the meritocracy that has replaced the aristocracy in this country is messing everything up despite good intentions. Power now flows to those who are good at taking a test, which very often has almost nothing to do with who is best suited for a particular job. Even the military has this egg-head problem through the way they select for the academies. And you will find that sometimes those who get the best grades have very little actual working knowledge - they are just genetically well-suited to memorizing facts for exams. In the time of the aristocracy, at least you knew that for the most part the elites who were running the show had a very broad and deep education and hopefully some sense of moral responsibility and obligation for ruling over the rest of us plebes. In the meritocracy all that counts is winning...and the terms on which you win say very little about your ability to lead. Not calling for a return to feudal days here, just furthering your point that grades by themselves mean very very little. Anyway an interesting read as it is written by a liberal who has surely benefited from the meritocracy and really just throws the whole idea of what is fair on its head for reconsideration.

having said all of that...Cohen has shown his true colors a few too many time to win me back with one decently written homage piece. And the comparisons to Thamel are somewhat insulting to Pete who despite his somewhat hackneyed style is a very solid reporter and also truly a good guy with a moral compass that Cohen has thus far not proven he has. Would be great to see more work like this profiling team members and their backstories, and whatever else. I actually don't really blame Cohen though for much of what he's done to-date...there is clearly an editor or two driving this. But if he thinks he's going to get to the NY times because he's on the 'cutting edge' of journalism at syracuse.com, he's sadly mistaken and being misled by his mentors at the post standard...they are leading him down a path that goes straight to the job title of local sports blogger. Making up controversy to drive page clicks is not something that gets you to the big time. I hope he's figured that out and will do more work like what he's done here.
Great post!

Re: Cohen He has written at least three very good articles i.e. the story about the staff reuniting at SU...the George McDonald piece...and the most recent story about HCSS.

I openly praised him on here after the first two stories and questioned why he always seemed to regress into his Mack Schwartz wannabe mode. For every outstanding story he has put out, he offsets it with a half dozen negatively slanted blog-style stories.

To me, at least, it's very obvious where Cohen's strengths lay. He does a tremendous job with the human interest side of sports and I don't understand why he doesn't spend more time in that niche. I realize he's very young and searching to find his way, but the negative slants and the opinion style pieces have created a huge credibility deficit with me that a few solid stories can't change.

What a waste, the article didn't even mention his time living in a pack of timberwolves in the Canadian Rockies.

I'd just like to point out that I think Shafer is the kind of guy who refers to people as "knuckleheads" and I think that's terrific.

I have no basis for believing he does that other than, come on...if HE of all people isn't calling people knuckleheads, the word shouldn't exist.

Oh, and Cohen is an assclown (just to stay on topic kind of).

I'd just like to point out that I think Shafer is the kind of guy who refers to people as "knuckleheads" and I think that's terrific.

I have no basis for believing he does that other than, come on...if HE of all people isn't calling people knuckleheads, the word shouldn't exist.

Oh, and Cohen is an assclown (just to stay on topic kind of).

there is no doubt in my mind shafer calls people knuckleheads. That's an astute observation.

Really? I beg to differ...speak for yourself.

My point was that most college kids aren't regularly submitting articles to a pretty credible publication. My other point was that many, many, many college kids struggle to even make it to the majority of their classes. If neither of those describe you, that's fine. The fact remains.

Agreed. We shouldn't have to be doing back flips because he actually wrote something worth reading.

He pulled BS when he was with the DO, he pulled BS in some of his articles with the PS and he pulled BS on twitter. Now he writes one acceptable article (likely with people looking over his shoulder) and that's supposed to make us forget all the BS he's already pulled? Give me a break.

Is rather go spend the night in a dumpster than read any more of his work.

Couldnt agree more... its like a kid going to jail for murder...and once he is in jail he mops the floors one time and makes them all nice and shiny.. I still have not forgot the fact that he murdered someone. ( possibly an over the top comparison...but hey thats my thing )