Cohen: WVU and Louisville top tier program, Syracuse 2nd tier | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cohen: WVU and Louisville top tier program, Syracuse 2nd tier

Just got around to reading the article, and I cringed when I read that. It's especially offensive reading n a Syracuse newspaper, and considering we just kicked "top tier" West Virginia's ass up and down the field in the Pinstripe Bowl. I agree with the comments about it being a reflection of a Millennial with a very limited perspective on the SU football tradition.
Insulting the hometown team is not a good way to endear himself with his readership. Writers are supposedly professional wordsmiths - Cohen and Mink need to choose theirs more carefully or they will have short careers.

When I read this article from Cohen over at PS, it hit me the wrong way.

Especially this:

So I said: @Michael_Cohen13 Take issue with you deciding that WVU and Louisville are top tier. Based on? HoF, us. Wins, us. Recent history, us.

Cohen responded: West Virginia has been to three BCS bowl games since 2006 and won them all. Louisville has been to two, won both. Syracuse? Zero.

So I responded: @Michael_Cohen13 We beat WVU last three years, ‘Ville the last two. A little too definitive of an opinion presented as fact.

(I was wrong about beating Louisville two years in a row. Bad memory, didn't google it)

Cohen responded with: Syracuse also has not beaten Louisville twice in a row. Lost 27-10 two years ago on the road. I was there.

So I said: @Michael_Cohen13 I stand corrected. All-time vs Louisville, 6-6. All-time vs WVU 33-27.

-----

Now, I'm not arguing that we've been a top tier program recently. That's insane. Or that they haven't been better, on average over that same time period. But - to be that definitive in an article about a big time recruit (that he interviewed in person, maybe sharing this bias in person), that the recruit is going to read? Ug.

Is this guy trying hard to prove that he's not a homer alumni - but taking it too far? Interjecting too much "blogger opinion" in journalism? Presenting questionable items as provable fact, when they are not?

I don't know. I do know we have enough hills to climb - and that fighting bias locally is one we don't really need.

I kind of agree with you.

I guess you have to say that WVU is more of a high profile program than SU given its success during and since the RR days.

I would not go so far as to say that it is at a higher tier at this point, but there is a difference.

I would not say the same about Louisville. Even though the Louisville Athletic Department has more money and has spent more money - a lot more - and despite the Sugar Bowl win last year, the two programs I think are at the same tier.

Actually a college football reporter is supposed to be versed in college football history, before deciding which schools belong in tiers. That is the problem with sports reporting now, the fans have more knowledge then the reporters, a product of ESPN where they forget history.

PS Site boycott!

Does that mean I have to start reading Syracuse.com so I can boycott it? Please, just let me skip the first step if I agree to continue teh second step.

I'm fine with it if the recruit sees things that way - but that the beat reporter does is off.

He was talking about a recruit. He may have been saying something the recruit told him.

Leading up to, and thru, the 2004 season, their "fans" were all over ACC message boards proclaiming it would now be the "All Canes Conference."

Bittersweet tears are like the nectar of the gods.

Amazingly, Miami has never even played for the ACC championship.

He was talking about a recruit. He may have been saying something the recruit told him.
If you don't know, then it was poorly written. However, based on the conversations between Cohen and others on this board, it is clear it's Cohen's opinion. Along with stuff like this "He could contribute at Syracuse now, if that were allowed."

15-20 years ago Cohen would have been hired first as a high school sports reporter to learn the ropes more. Now he's thrust into probably the second best beat at the paper (SU hoops is first) and he's not ready for it. Blame him but also blame the new management for firing the seasoned vets and replacing them with inexperienced kids.

Interesting to see Cohen deleted all of the negative comments after his article. Looks like he can dish out the criticism (and stupidity), but can't take it

I've heard some people in the athletic department are not fans of Mr. Cohen. This backs their opinions up.