Cohen: WVU and Louisville top tier program, Syracuse 2nd tier | Syracusefan.com

Cohen: WVU and Louisville top tier program, Syracuse 2nd tier

TheCusian

Living Legend
When I read this article from Cohen over at PS, it hit me the wrong way.

Especially this:

"He holds scholarship offers from more than two dozen schools, including some of the top programs in the country -- Tennessee, Miami, Louisville, West Virginia, to name a few, but is looking to make his mark at a second-tier program that he can help build.
He listed Syracuse, Illinois and Pittsburgh as the three schools he prefers and wants to visit during his senior year at North Miami Beach."

So I said: @Michael_Cohen13 Take issue with you deciding that WVU and Louisville are top tier. Based on? HoF, us. Wins, us. Recent history, us.

Cohen responded: West Virginia has been to three BCS bowl games since 2006 and won them all. Louisville has been to two, won both. Syracuse? Zero.

So I responded: @Michael_Cohen13 We beat WVU last three years, ‘Ville the last two. A little too definitive of an opinion presented as fact.

(I was wrong about beating Louisville two years in a row. Bad memory, didn't google it)

Cohen responded with: Syracuse also has not beaten Louisville twice in a row. Lost 27-10 two years ago on the road. I was there.

So I said: @Michael_Cohen13 I stand corrected. All-time vs Louisville, 6-6. All-time vs WVU 33-27.

-----

Now, I'm not arguing that we've been a top tier program recently. That's insane. Or that they haven't been better, on average over that same time period. But - to be that definitive in an article about a big time recruit (that he interviewed in person, maybe sharing this bias in person), that the recruit is going to read? Ug.

Is this guy trying hard to prove that he's not a homer alumni - but taking it too far? Interjecting too much "blogger opinion" in journalism? Presenting questionable items as provable fact, when they are not?

I don't know. I do know we have enough hills to climb - and that fighting bias locally is one we don't really need.

guy is a idiot-or maybe is is from the state of wv- and we all know where they rank in iq

I didn't say this - but I'm not sure Tennessee and Miami are top tier teams recently - but you could definitely say they are on a different level than us based on CFB history.

I don't understand why a writer for "SYRACUSE SPORTS" would be so quick to put down anything that has to do with "SYRACUSE SPORTS" ....

If you hate Syracuse sports go write your shitting columns some place else...

Cohen, Mink and the rest of the young brood read too many football magazines, polls and recruiting rankings. Typical of young reporters because they have little firsthand experience with the game. I used to buy into that stuff until I, well, gained some experience. Have to like their enthusiasm and initiative, but they have much to learn.

Keep clicking those PS links boys....that'll teach em.

Exactly, stop reading the garbage. There's a reason I don't read the National Inquirer or the Star.

Cohen, Mink and the rest of the young brood read too many football magazines, polls and recruiting rankings. Typical of young reporters because they have little firsthand experience with the game. I used to buy into that stuff until I, well, gained some experience. Have to like their enthusiasm and initiative, but they have much to learn.

Agreed. They seem much more in line with the national perception than someone who follows the actual team.

Rahme always seemed objective, but wrote like he was hoping for a good season. Didn't sugar coat the deficiencies - but wrote like he hoped they would overcome them.

Exactly, stop reading the garbage. There's a reason I don't read the National Inquirer or the Star.

The problem is it's a subtle local perception thing. If enough casual fans read that garbage and believe that we are 2nd tier to WVU and Louisville - it's going to affect local opinion, ticket sales, local recruiting, etc.

I think they should be held responsible.

If winning the 2004 forward version of the Big East makes you top tier, then someone needs to redefine the tiers.

We're obviously 2nd tier, and that's fine. We're also in the ACC, and that's great. I'm sure West Virginia isn't jealous. Cross country bus trips are fun. It's a common theme you hear from recruits.

Please consider from which tier the afore-mentioned *ahem* "sports reporter" writes from. I rest my case. Oh Lord

So when do Rahme's columns start up at ACCsports? I couldn't find them

13194910-mmmain.jpg

which just happens to be right when the recruiting pool was 10-12 and what they grew up watching is how they will decide which is tier 1, tier 2 etc.

thank god he put Syracuse tier 2, he couldve put em tier 4.

:eek:

Oh Lord

If winning the 2004 forward version of the Big East makes you top tier, then someone needs to redefine the tiers.

We're obviously 2nd tier, and that's fine. We're also in the ACC, and that's great. I'm sure West Virginia isn't jealous. Cross country bus trips are fun. It's a common theme you hear from recruits.

Let's entertain that being the extremely faulty criteria for "top tier". Now look at the other two top tier teams he included: Tennessee and Miami. Tenn had one year where they went to the SEC championship game and lost. They went 1-7 in the SEC last year. Miami has never won the ACC. Ever. In their history.

which just happens to be right when the recruiting pool was 10-12 and what they grew up watching is how they will decide which is tier 1, tier 2 etc.

thank god he put Syracuse tier 2, he couldve put em tier 4.

:eek:

Oh Lord

I'm fine with it if the recruit sees things that way - but that the beat reporter does is off.