Cohen: WVU and Louisville top tier program, Syracuse 2nd tier | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cohen: WVU and Louisville top tier program, Syracuse 2nd tier

Cohen, Mink and the rest of the young brood read too many football magazines, polls and recruiting rankings. Typical of young reporters because they have little firsthand experience with the game. I used to buy into that stuff until I, well, gained some experience. Have to like their enthusiasm and initiative, but they have much to learn.

^Friggin Old Fart^

Us smart youngsters know: College Football Started one nice November night in 2006...anything before is irrelevant.

^Friggin Old Fart^

Us smart youngsters know: College Football Started one nice November night in 2006...anything before is irrelevant.

Hey around my house I'm the only one allowed to call me and old fart so take that ya whipper snapper
:p

I used to go to their webpage multiple times a day to read articles and look for articles

Now I never even think of going to their webpage, it's been at least half a year since I've even type their address into my browser.

When I read this article from Cohen over at PS, it hit me the wrong way.

Especially this:

So I said: @Michael_Cohen13 Take issue with you deciding that WVU and Louisville are top tier. Based on? HoF, us. Wins, us. Recent history, us.

Cohen responded: West Virginia has been to three BCS bowl games since 2006 and won them all. Louisville has been to two, won both. Syracuse? Zero.

So I responded: @Michael_Cohen13 We beat WVU last three years, ‘Ville the last two. A little too definitive of an opinion presented as fact.

(I was wrong about beating Louisville two years in a row. Bad memory, didn't google it)

Cohen responded with: Syracuse also has not beaten Louisville twice in a row. Lost 27-10 two years ago on the road. I was there.

So I said: @Michael_Cohen13 I stand corrected. All-time vs Louisville, 6-6. All-time vs WVU 33-27.

-----

Now, I'm not arguing that we've been a top tier program recently. That's insane. Or that they haven't been better, on average over that same time period. But - to be that definitive in an article about a big time recruit (that he interviewed in person, maybe sharing this bias in person), that the recruit is going to read? Ug.

Is this guy trying hard to prove that he's not a homer alumni - but taking it too far? Interjecting too much "blogger opinion" in journalism? Presenting questionable items as provable fact, when they are not?

I don't know. I do know we have enough hills to climb - and that fighting bias locally is one we don't really need.
That's because people like Cohen seem to think history started in 2004, and state because West Virginia was great then, they are elite. As I have shown before from 1987-2003 West Virginia in the top 25 4 times, Syracuse 9 times . During that span the only schools ahead of Syracuse were Florida St, Michigan both 17 times, Miami, Nebraska 16 times, Tennessee 14, Florida 13, Notre Dame 12, Penn St, Auburn, Georgia, Texas A @ M 11, Colorado, Ohio St, Alabama, Texas, Kansas St 10, Oklahoma, Syracuse 9. Only 16 Teams in a 17 year period were better, and West Virginia wasn't even close. Tell Mister Cohen during the real years of the Big East, when Miami, Virginia Tech were in the conference from 1991-2003, they had 2 top 25, we had 7. I say real years because Miami won 2 national championships, finished 2nd twice, and Virginia tech finished 2nd once.

Well the Earth is only 5,000 years old ya know and humans coexisted with dinosaurs so there :p

Miami has never won the ACC. Ever. In their history.

Leading up to, and thru, the 2004 season, their "fans" were all over ACC message boards proclaiming it would now be the "All Canes Conference."

Bittersweet tears are like the nectar of the gods.

Leading up to, and thru, the 2004 season, their "fans" were all over ACC message boards proclaiming it would now be the "All Canes Conference."

Bittersweet tears are like the nectar of the gods.

We love drinking the tears of 'eers here

I got into a bit of a pissing match with Carlson a couple of weeks ago about why Syracuse fans hate GROB. I asked him if he was in Syracuse during those 4 looooong years. He kept saying that it was a position a GA could do. But were you in Syracuse during the Goober error? He's not being hired as a head coach. Agreed, but were you in Syracuse during the years that he was SU's head coach? Finally on my third attempt he admitted that no, he wasn't around during that time period. Well then, that's why you can't understand the vitriol some SU fans have towards Robinson. It wasn't a question of if he was qualified to be a consultant or whatever he was hired as, it was why some SU fans felt the way they did. It told me all I needed to know about him. He was insistent on his point and point of view and wasn't able to understand mine, or even answer a simple question to get what I was trying to say.

I got into a bit of a pissing match with Carlson a couple of weeks ago about why Syracuse fans hate GROB. I asked him if he was in Syracuse during those 4 looooong years. He kept saying that it was a position a GA could do. But were you in Syracuse during the Goober error? He's not being hired as a head coach. Agreed, but were you in Syracuse during the years that he was SU's head coach? Finally on my third attempt he admitted that no, he wasn't around during that time period. Well then, that's why you can't understand the vitriol some SU fans have towards Robinson. It wasn't a question of if he was qualified to be a consultant or whatever he was hired as, it was why some SU fans felt the way they did. It told me all I needed to know about him. He was insistent on his point and point of view and wasn't able to understand mine, or even answer a simple question to get what I was trying to say.

PS Site boycott!

Cohen will be a good reporter. He does make mistakes, but there is not as much professional grooming these days in the sport of journalism.

That said...he's a defensive too much. Especially on Twitter. But hell, when I was 21 or 22...not sure I was much different.

Cohen will be a good reporter. He does make mistakes, but there is not as much professional grooming these days in the sport of journalism.

That said...he's a defensive too much. Especially on Twitter. But hell, when I was 21 or 22...not sure I was much different.

I couldn't be happier that there was no Facebook and Twitter when I was 21.

Yeah - I'm not trying to crap on the guy too much. He clearly has some things to learn about the business.

My big advice would be: Negativity may earn you short term clicks and hits - but it's not earning you any long term support. Eventually, the hits are going to dry up.

I don't understand why a writer for "SYRACUSE SPORTS" would be so quick to put down anything that has to do with "SYRACUSE SPORTS" ....

If you hate Syracuse sports go write your shitting columns some place else...

And that guy Mink used to write for Penn State in his last gig. Lucky us.

Cohen is a 2nd tier "reporter" and a scumbag. In fact the entirety of the PS and Syracuse.com are scumbags.

Keep clicking those PS links boys....that'll teach em.

I cringe at the thought of a Q&A with these "writers."

Holding off on the .com until I start seeing Mike and Donna articles about BB.

Cohen needs to go he sucks, hometown newspapers is only for homers and not dopes... Both of those schools are located in states with zero pro teams. New York State had zero pro teams, we would have rabid fans too. He graduated in 2013 from syracuse according to linked in, unless it's not the same person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s anyone open to the possibility that the recruit expressly stated that he would rather go to a second tier school to build it and identified SU as being in that group? That's how I read the article. Would that change your Evals of Cohen? I'm not his Mom and don't necessarily think he's a good or bad writer, but come on. Read the article and lighten up Francis.

s anyone open to the possibility that the recruit expressly stated that he would rather go to a second tier school to build it and identified SU as being in that group? That's how I read the article. Would that change your Evals of Cohen? I'm not his Mom and don't necessarily think he's a good or bad writer, but come on. Read the article and lighten up Francis.

no that was Cohen putting his spin on it. it's basically every article. i don't mind us not being a top tier program, but having WVU and L'ville as clearly better then us is just unnecessary. the kid deserves all the criticism he is getting and more. i was so red after reading those 2 sentences i don't even know what the rest said

One wonders where he places his beloved Yukon. Must be top tier. Aack!

It must be tough to be a Newhouse grad, and the only gig you can get is the local .com/ birdcage liner factory. Must be bitter.

The term "second-tier" was not a quote from the kid. It was Cohen's term along with Cohen identifying who is in the "tiers" as well as inferring WV, and Louisville, two teams Syracuse beat last year rather convincingly I might add... are 1st tier. Dickish.

SU - in the the ACC first choice tier
Louisville - in the we want your athletic budget but not your commuter Kentucky rejects & Big12 blocking tier
WFVU - in the perpetual red-a$$ & couch burning tier