Cole Swider signs with Heat | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider signs with Heat

Calipari loves to take credit for "preparing" one and done guys for the league. Maybe JB should have a reputation for taking transfers that weren't highly thought of and giving them a better shot at the league.

Swider is a perfect example of making sure you choose a school for your playing style. SU’s system allows players to play. If he had a penetrating player on last years team, he and Buddy would have been nearly unstoppable. You watch the summer league tapes and he was just catching and shooting with no hesitation.

Swider is a perfect example of making sure you choose a school for your playing style. SU’s system allows players to play. If he had a penetrating player on last years team, he and Buddy would have been nearly unstoppable. You watch the summer league tapes and he was just catching and shooting with no hesitation.

I watched every game. And the number of threes he made off penetration and kickouts were a handful. It was one of the frustrating things watching their games, guards would penetrate and toss up garbage many times while he was spotted up.

Love the irony; not good enough to start for Nova but how many Nova foward starters on his team are going to make it in the NBA? To be fair, he is a late bloomer. Perhaps with more PT he would have blossomed sooner.
I keep thinking about the same thing. Although he wasn't necessarily a late bloomer - he was a top 40 recruit in high school. Then he sat behind guys for 3 years before transferring presumably because his coach couldn't see past his weaknesses, and now it looks like he'll make an nba roster and be more successful than many of the nova starters. There's tons of other guys who have the talent, but pick the wrong school and never get a chance to show it.

I keep thinking about the same thing. Although he wasn't necessarily a late bloomer - he was a top 40 recruit in high school. Then he sat behind guys for 3 years before transferring presumably because his coach couldn't see past his weaknesses, and now it looks like he'll make an nba roster and be more successful than many of the nova starters. There's tons of other guys who have the talent, but pick the wrong school and never get a chance to show it.
Let's bh. He wasn't really a system fit for Nova. They like to run 4 guards/shooters and a big ... and JW expected all 4 of them to be able to switch and defend M2M. It's a great system, just not the best for a 6'9 3/4 who wants to be on the perimeter. When he got in the zone, the potential started to flash ... even without a pure PG. Now that he's in the summer league (with better distributors), he's getting dimed all over the place and showing what he can do. It's great to see.

Last edited:
Let's bh. He wasn't really a system fit for Nova. They like to run 4 guards/shooters and a big ... and JW expected all 4 of them to be able to switch and defend. It's a great system, just not the best for a 6'9 guy who wants to be on the perimeter. Once he got in the zone he flourished ... even without a pure PG. Now he's getting dimed all over the place and showing what he can do. It's great to see.

In his extensive article on syracuse.com he talked about how the guards are featured so much in Nova's offense and how he never really had the right fit. I'm sure there were some other items, but whether your path is a straight line or the yellow brick road, he gave himself a shot to make an nba roster, for sure.

I think he has a shot at a Klay Thompson stat line if he plays next to a superstar. I know Thompson's a guard, but so what. Cole's 3 inches taller, shooting and rebounding are roughly the same. He'll need to work on his defense but he'll get there.

I always think what kind of player he would have been had he trusted his gut and went to SU from the get go. He has gotten so much better over the last year it’s insane. And I think everyone around him wants him to shoot every time he touches the ball. That helps confidence big time

Cole did not make the 1st or 2nd team all summer league team. Not a big deal. There were a lot of good players with all the draft picks playing and 300 players total. Pippen didn’t make it either.

I think he has a shot at a Klay Thompson stat line if he plays next to a superstar. I know Thompson's a guard, but so what. Cole's 3 inches taller, shooting and rebounding are roughly the same. He'll need to work on his defense but he'll get there.
Klay Thompson? You think he can average 20ppg on a championship caliber team while being a multi year all star and all NBA player?

He’s going to get hunted and abused on D in a varsity game. He’s a hell of a shooter and if he can be palatable on D he’ll eventually make an nba roster.

He has effectively positioned himself to have a Duncan Robinson like trajectory and that is a damn good path.

He’s going to get hunted and abused on D in a varsity game. He’s a hell of a shooter and if he can be palatable on D he’ll eventually make an nba roster.

He showed commitment and effort every defensive possession in summer league. Yes teams will attempt to work him on switches but he held his own on 60 to 70 pct of possessions or better. If his offense carries over its more than enough for him. His advanced metrics were solid. Just because it was summer league doesn't just invalidate all of that. I don't get the negativity here unless it's just to be contrarian.

He showed commitment and effort every defensive possession in summer league. Yes teams will attempt to work him on switches but he held his own on 60 to 70 pct of possessions or better. If his offense carries over its more than enough for him. His advanced metrics were solid. Just because it was summer league doesn't just invalidate all of that. I don't get the negativity here unless it's just to be contrarian.
Fair enough. But that is what they do in the NBA. Laker fan and I’d love nothing more than to see him succeed.

Wow, this is crazy. Klay even after the injuries is 10 x the defender that Cole will ever be. My god, what are we doing here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom