Colgate Notes | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Notes

Orangezoo

In the wind
So I would say quite a few things have been noted about individual player performances so I will keep that part short but let's talk about a few key things from the game.

Colgate :

First off, this game felt like one of those 3 vs 14 NCAA games. In many of our easier games you get the feel like the other team is bringing a pretty vanilla gameplan and essentially just trying to hang in with what they do eventually succumbing with few adjustments leaving with a check.

In this game , it felt like Colgate came prepared like a tourney game with a well scouted gameplan and appropriate adjustments. A few things they did besides shoot well you can see in how they reacted to our own adjustments. Our defense was really working to take away the top of the key 3 pt shot and the top corner 3s as well. This made things tough on Rayman. Colgate tried to some success to drive in and kick out but more the most part found it tough to get shots from there besides making some contested ones. The adjustment they made was simply to let us take that away and get more looks from the far wings. They did this extremely well and we kept focusing up top and never really adjusted until late. This was a very smart and effective strategy. Colgate has a little Belmont in them in that regard.

Defensively, the raiders came in looking to turn us over with pressure and then sagged back quickly to clog the paint. While they executed this perfectly, our athleticism and size overpowered them. Still, their pressure got us sped up and didn't allow us to break away when paired with their offensive execution. Also, they took care of the ball extremely well too. Overall you have to hand it to them for coming in unphased with a great gameplan and executing it about as well as they could.

Syracuse- overall the key was we made some 3s, went inside and used our size advantages to an extent. We did not react quickly enough to their adjustments and the Ferguson kid and also did not force them to beat us with 2pt jumpers . Our shot fake discipline was terrible on the perimeter and cost us 10-12 points as a result. Individual performances played a bigger role offensively and defensively coupled with doing a much better job defending the top of the key 3pt shooters.

Player Notes-

Battle- Tyus looked the healthiest he has since the injury. His shot looked much better as well. He still needs to be more decisive when he drives as he gets caught in the air with no where to go with the ball. Overall though it was great to see the Tyus we expect.

Frank - Early on the UConn hangover was still present but he was much better most of the second half. That runner is very hard to stop and he needs to work his passes off of how the defense reacts vs forcing things. Also, he had a couple turnovers where he was ahead of his teammates and overall the spacing was bad. On both the floater was there and he forced the pass. The concerns are still there but it was good to see some " Good Frank " show up too. This includes him hustling on the defensive boards a lot. He stole a few possible offensive boards for Colgate.

Moyer- Really nowhere for Matt to shine in this one given how packed the paint was. With that said, he really needs to become better as a cutter. He flies to to ball when a rebound or loose ball is near, he needs to be as active and explosive on his cuts.

Chukwu- This kid just continues to progress. His hands are getting better and better, as is his patience on blocks. Offensively, he did very well being aggressive going up and finishing. He keeps the ball high and is fluid. I am legit excited for what his ceiling might be given the growth this year. His presence as a shot blocker and a rebounder is a major issue for opponents. He made things really tough inside for the raiders. He didn't look winded either having to play most of the game.

Marek- This game is exactly what we need from him. He filled every statline we need him for.. he defended and rebounded well ( minus the missed assignments on the wing 3s), he attacked offensively a few times and he made some wonderful passes. His passing is what I love the most given our lack of a true PG. Having a big guy who can find a cutter or feed the post is a huge asset. Would love to see that post up spin move a few more times a game.

Brissett- So much good on both sides, what a great rebounder. My big thing and others have said too, he gets himself in trouble trying to get his jump shot off the bounce. Right now using a jab step or spotting up is where he needs to get his jumper. Otherwise taking it into the paint with that runner or using the scoop is his bread and butter. No need to force the jumper. This kid is just so much fun to watch.

HW - Looked calm and confident when he was in there and was a plus 8 or 9 as well. The team seemed very calm and had we not had him out there the first half may not have been such a friendly margin. I trust JB, but I do like that Everytime this kid plays, we look just fine out there.

Overall, I think Colgate is better than their record and did well against BC earlier in the year. I think they stay under the 200 RPI mark and are certainly good enough to win their league. They remind me of those Cornell teams who used to give us battles in the dome dropping tons of 3s.

We have a long season ahead and lots of areas to improve but this was a good win. 14 3s and we won by 14. Get Sidibe healthy and we can finish the non conference strong and roll into ACC play ready to make our case as a legit tourney team.

Brissett- So much good on both sides, what a great rebounder. My big thing and others have said too, he gets himself in trouble trying to get his jump shot off the bounce. Right now using a jab step or spotting up is where he needs to get his jumper. Otherwise taking it into the paint with that runner or using the scoop is his bread and butter. No need to force the jumper. This kid is just so much fun to watch.

He must have been unguardable in high school. Shocking to me how underrated he was coming in.

So I would say quite a few things have been noted about individual player performances so I will keep that part short but let's talk about a few key things from the game.

Colgate :

First off, this game felt like one of those 3 vs 14 NCAA games. In many of our easier games you get the feel like the other team is bringing a pretty vanilla gameplan and essentially just trying to hang in with what they do eventually succumbing with few adjustments leaving with a check.

In this game , it felt like Colgate came prepared like a tourney game with a well scouted gameplan and appropriate adjustments. A few things they did besides shoot well you can see in how they reacted to our own adjustments. Our defense was really working to take away the top of the key 3 pt shot and the top corner 3s as well. This made things tough on Rayman. Colgate tried to some success to drive in and kick out but more the most part found it tough to get shots from there besides making some contested ones. The adjustment they made was simply to let us take that away and get more looks from the far wings. They did this extremely well and we kept focusing up top and never really adjusted until late. This was a very smart and effective strategy. Colgate has a little Belmont in them in that regard.

Defensively, the raiders came in looking to turn us over with pressure and then sagged back quickly to clog the paint. While they executed this perfectly, our athleticism and size overpowered them. Still, their pressure got us sped up and didn't allow us to break away when paired with their offensive execution. Also, they took care of the ball extremely well too. Overall you have to hand it to them for coming in unphased with a great gameplan and executing it about as well as they could.

Syracuse- overall the key was we made some 3s, went inside and used our size advantages to an extent. We did not react quickly enough to their adjustments and the Ferguson kid and also did not force them to beat us with 2pt jumpers . Our shot fake discipline was terrible on the perimeter and cost us 10-12 points as a result. Individual performances played a bigger role offensively and defensively coupled with doing a much better job defending the top of the key 3pt shooters.

Player Notes-

Battle- Tyus looked the healthiest he has since the injury. His shot looked much better as well. He still needs to be more decisive when he drives as he gets caught in the air with no where to go with the ball. Overall though it was great to see the Tyus we expect.

Frank - Early on the UConn hangover was still present but he was much better most of the second half. That runner is very hard to stop and he needs to work his passes off of how the defense reacts vs forcing things. Also, he had a couple turnovers where he was ahead of his teammates and overall the spacing was bad. On both the floater was there and he forced the pass. The concerns are still there but it was good to see some " Good Frank " show up too. This includes him hustling on the defensive boards a lot. He stole a few possible offensive boards for Colgate.

Moyer- Really nowhere for Matt to shine in this one given how packed the paint was. With that said, he really needs to become better as a cutter. He flies to to ball when a rebound or loose ball is near, he needs to be as active and explosive on his cuts.

Chukwu- This kid just continues to progress. His hands are getting better and better, as is his patience on blocks. Offensively, he did very well being aggressive going up and finishing. He keeps the ball high and is fluid. I am legit excited for what his ceiling might be given the growth this year. His presence as a shot blocker and a rebounder is a major issue for opponents. He made things really tough inside for the raiders. He didn't look winded either having to play most of the game.

Marek- This game is exactly what we need from him. He filled every statline we need him for.. he defended and rebounded well ( minus the missed assignments on the wing 3s), he attacked offensively a few times and he made some wonderful passes. His passing is what I love the most given our lack of a true PG. Having a big guy who can find a cutter or feed the post is a huge asset. Would love to see that post up spin move a few more times a game.

HW - Looked calm and confident when he was in there and was a plus 8 or 9 as well. The team seemed very calm and had we not had him out there the first half may not have been such a friendly margin. I trust JB, but I do like that Everytime this kid plays, we look just fine out there.

Overall, I think Colgate is better than their record and did well against BC earlier in the year. I think they stay under the 200 RPI mark and are certainly good enough to win their league. They remind me of those Cornell teams who used to give us battles in the dome dropping tons of 3s.

We have a long season ahead and lots of areas to improve but this was a good win. 14 3s and we won by 14. Get Sidibe healthy and we can finish the non conference strong and roll into ACC play ready to make our case as a legit tourney team.

Really good post -- was getting ready to do one of my long-winded, rambling wrapups, but you tackled most of what I saw here. I'll add a couple things because, well, why not.

-- Arguably the biggest takeaway was Battle looking at least pretty close to 100% (as you point out). Obviously he's our best player by a mile and maybe our best player on both the offensive AND defensive end. So a healthy battle is important.

-- There was a lot of mention of Colgate hitting contested threes but they actually missed at least five good looks in the first half and another two or three in the second. Even if they knock down a few of those this game could have been much trickier. That said, I agree -- they didn't look bad to me. Executed well on both ends and thought they actually gave us fits with their defense -- played the mid-range and drive and then dared us to shoot threes. Pretty good strategy. As you pointed out, this is a team that played well vs. BC and while BC still likely isn't particularly good, if they are good enough to beat duke, then they're not atrocious. So, that counts for something.

-- Sort of piggy-backing on that point, we just aren't great offensively. People get riled up about how terrible Frank is (more on that later) but the bottom line is what are you asking a player to do? Right now, even playing a team against whom we have a HUGE edge in talent, we still got just 10 points total from players not named Brissett/Howard/Battle. When no one even threatens double-figures against a not-great team, it tells you that at least right now, we have a very limited offense. That's not the end of the world but it's going to make for very few blowouts.

-- Disappointing followup to UConn for Moyer. Not the end of the world but he just really, really struggles on the offensive end. I'm not asking for unrealistic things from him, but to make basically no contributions and log just 8 mins. vs. Colgate is pretty miserable.

-- Washington is going to get his opportunity for extended minutes. I'm with everyone else -- he's looked solid out there and you would have loved to see him get a chance to get 12-15 mins against a team like colgate. But ultimately, it will happen. Right now JB is focused on winning games and bringing these guys along. I'm fine with that.

-- Finally Howard -- I'm not going to belabor the point, but half of htis board wanted him to leave at the end of last season. I'd say close to 75% were not optimistic that he could play a solid role in a three-guard rotation with Battle and Thorpe. So to have the board melting down after a game where he goes for 18 on 50% shooting with six assists and six rebounds (yes, I understand, five turnovers) is difficult to take. The kid is being asked to fill a much bigger role than he would be ideally suited to fill. If we had the type of team where we could look to him for 20-25 mins of solid play (like the triche/Jardine/Rautins crew in '10), that would really be a good thing for us. But we can't and we need to be able to live with mistakes. The Uconn game was absolutely brutal but he really wasn't awful at all tonight and the fact that he's not an all-american or all-acc or even simply a really good PG, should not be such a colossal surprise and disappointment. Right now he's an asset and as long as that remains the case, we are pretty lucky to have him.

-- Love that Dolezaj can have a big impact without scoring or even getting many touches.

-- Lastly, Thorpe's decision remains utterly confusing. This was another game where he gets at least 10 mins, but probably more like 20. Oh well.

Re Moyer and his limited time - He did it to himself. Moyer's first shot was a launching a 3. What was he thinking? He needs to be smarter than that. JB immediately sent MD to be put in, and then Moyer panicked and committed a turnover. Terrible sequence. Moyer needs to know his role and I hope this helps him figure it out.

Really good post -- was getting ready to do one of my long-winded, rambling wrapups, but you tackled most of what I saw here. I'll add a couple things because, well, why not.

-- Arguably the biggest takeaway was Battle looking at least pretty close to 100% (as you point out). Obviously he's our best player by a mile and maybe our best player on both the offensive AND defensive end. So a healthy battle is important.

-- There was a lot of mention of Colgate hitting contested threes but they actually missed at least five good looks in the first half and another two or three in the second. Even if they knock down a few of those this game could have been much trickier. That said, I agree -- they didn't look bad to me. Executed well on both ends and thought they actually gave us fits with their defense -- played the mid-range and drive and then dared us to shoot threes. Pretty good strategy. As you pointed out, this is a team that played well vs. BC and while BC still likely isn't particularly good, if they are good enough to beat duke, then they're not atrocious. So, that counts for something.

-- Sort of piggy-backing on that point, we just aren't great offensively. People get riled up about how terrible Frank is (more on that later) but the bottom line is what are you asking a player to do? Right now, even playing a team against whom we have a HUGE edge in talent, we still got just 10 points total from players not named Brissett/Howard/Battle. When no one even threatens double-figures against a not-great team, it tells you that at least right now, we have a very limited offense. That's not the end of the world but it's going to make for very few blowouts.

-- Disappointing followup to UConn for Moyer. Not the end of the world but he just really, really struggles on the offensive end. I'm not asking for unrealistic things from him, but to make basically no contributions and log just 8 mins. vs. Colgate is pretty miserable.

-- Washington is going to get his opportunity for extended minutes. I'm with everyone else -- he's looked solid out there and you would have loved to see him get a chance to get 12-15 mins against a team like colgate. But ultimately, it will happen. Right now JB is focused on winning games and bringing these guys along. I'm fine with that.

-- Finally Howard -- I'm not going to belabor the point, but half of htis board wanted him to leave at the end of last season. I'd say close to 75% were not optimistic that he could play a solid role in a three-guard rotation with Battle and Thorpe. So to have the board melting down after a game where he goes for 18 on 50% shooting with six assists and six rebounds (yes, I understand, five turnovers) is difficult to take. The kid is being asked to fill a much bigger role than he would be ideally suited to fill. If we had the type of team where we could look to him for 20-25 mins of solid play (like the triche/Jardine/Rautins crew in '10), that would really be a good thing for us. But we can't and we need to be able to live with mistakes. The Uconn game was absolutely brutal but he really wasn't awful at all tonight and the fact that he's not an all-american or all-acc or even simply a really good PG, should not be such a colossal surprise and disappointment. Right now he's an asset and as long as that remains the case, we are pretty lucky to have him.

-- Love that Dolezaj can have a big impact without scoring or even getting many touches.

-- Lastly, Thorpe's decision remains utterly confusing. This was another game where he gets at least 10 mins, but probably more like 20. Oh well.
I love what Dolezaj brings to the table but I do feel that at some point in time we will need points from Chukwu/Sidibe/Moyer/Dolezaj. I thought yesterday would have been a great opportunity to work the ball into the paint to see what the bigs could do. We saw a little of it but very little. I was also glad to see Brissett open up a little more offensively. I just think he creates so many mismatches that it was good to see him with the ball able to create.

at some point in time we will need points from Chukwu/Sidibe/Moyer/Dolezaj.

Agreed but not sure we’ll see that this year. Hope so b/c in games like this we’d be in the upper 70s or 80s it would be a much prettier win. Would also make us more competitive agains whoever ends up in the upper tier of the acc.

I wonder if our rotation wasnt a bit off right now if we would have pressed it a bit to speed colgate up even more and perhaps gotten out ahead of them instead of just coasting it along all game.. it was much like uconn in that we had the 15 pt lead but couldnt get it over 20 to make it comfortable and really just stayed around 10+ all game.

Re Moyer and his limited time - He did it to himself. Moyer's first shot was a launching a 3. What was he thinking? He needs to be smarter than that. JB immediately sent MD to be put in, and then Moyer panicked and committed a turnover. Terrible sequence. Moyer needs to know his role and I hope this helps him figure it out.

When he launched that 3 ...... I flashed back to Paul Harris. My guess is Moyer gets the message quicker than Do it all Paul did.

Bills, the more long-winded, rambling wrap ups we have on the board, the better!! That’s why I come here.

I like what you had to say about Frank. While at the game, every mistake he made I noticed with great trepidation. But I looked at his score and stats and went, “Hnh??” At least a couple times he went zig with his pass and the recipient went zag, but who’s to say who’s at fault there? Yes, I am more than willing to give Frank a chance and keep my negative, worried vibes away from him. Captain J will attest that Frank can feel that energy from the fans, so it is our duty not to send it to him!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom