College basketball: The 25 best shooting teams in the country, ranked | Syracusefan.com

College basketball: The 25 best shooting teams in the country, ranked

19. Syracuse: The Orange return their lineup after a surprising Sweet 16 run. Tyus Battle, Frank Howard and Oshae Brissett can all make shots, even when the shot clock is winding down. The addition of Buddy Boeheim, yes Jim’s son, Elijah Hughes and Jalen Carey means the Orange will be much more up-tempo and looking for the quick hitters when open.

I can't believe we are on this list.

Last year may have been the worst offensive Syracuse team I’ve ever seen.

Depth will help and guys get better. I think we’ll be significantly improved offensively, but I don’t know about this?

If someone(OB?) turns into a deadeye 40% 3 point shooter, maybe.

19. Syracuse: The Orange return their lineup after a surprising Sweet 16 run. Tyus Battle, Frank Howard and Oshae Brissett can all make shots, even when the shot clock is winding down. The addition of Buddy Boeheim, yes Jim’s son, Elijah Hughes and Jalen Carey means the Orange will be much more up-tempo and looking for the quick hitters when open.
Thanks for the little morning laugh.
With the legitimate top defense they should be playing...If there are only 18 teams that shoot better than the Orange this season then no point in even having a season.
Let's start with the Final 4.

I could believe the optimism in a top 20 OFFENSE, but shooting?

(At first I typed top 20 offensive team and realized that it didn’t quite sound right:p)

Last year may have been the worst offensive Syracuse team I’ve ever seen.

Depth will help and guys get better. I think we’ll be significantly improved offensively, but I don’t know about this?

If someone(OB?) turns into a deadeye 40% 3 point shooter, maybe.

Yeah, I'm with everyone here that it seems hard to believe but maybe he's simply looking at it from the standpoint of how many guys are capable of knocking down an open shot. Brissett actually shot around 38% from three in ACC play last season so i would think he'll be better overall this year. A healthy, focused Frank should be able to shot in the 35% range, which is respectable and Battle, while he isn't one of the best shooters we've had, should be solid enough to get to that 35% level. The x factor is Hughes but if he shoots well, it could at least be a team that can put four pretty good shooters on the floor at all times.

But yeah, top 25 seems like a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, I'm with everyone here that it seems hard to believe but maybe he's simply looking at it from the standpoint of how many guys are capable of knocking down an open shot. Brissett actually shot around 38% from three in ACC play last season so i would think he'll be better overall this year. A healthy, focused Frank should be able to shot in the 35% range, which is respectable and Battle, while he isn't one of the best shooters we've had, should be solid enough to get to that 35% level. The x factor is Hughes but if he shoots well, it could at least be a team that can put four pretty good shooters on the floor at all times.

But yeah, top 25 seems like a bit of a stretch.

While we could have 4 on the court that can make outside shots, which would be a welcome improvement, I think you’ve gotta have at least one of those absolute dead eyes that can hit 8 3’s in a game if he’s hot to be on a list like this. That’s kinda what I was getting at earlier but stopped at percentages.

Lots of other teams out there have those type of shooters. I don’t know if we do. A Rautins, GMac, Southerland, White, Shumpert level shooter.

I think we’ll shoot good enough though, and the numerous other capabilities that guys like Battle and Brissett bring to the table beyond shooting...we’ll be awfully tough.

Shooting isn't everything, though. I recall about 15 straight years where Notre Dame (slight exaggeration here) had 4 or 5 starters still averaging 40% or better from 3 heading into February, and they always tanked.

I like to look back at S.U.'s 2003 Ring Run where 3 players basically hovered around 40% for most or all of the year (Melo, GMac, Duany). We need to do other stuff, too. But yeah, any upgrade is cool. yet I'd still like Carey (or even Frank Howard to drive to the hoop more) , like Edelin and Pace did.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we actually shoot it really well. We have capable shooters all over the place. So the talent is there and now so is the depth. Also have to think Tyus has addressed that weakness and comes out as a much more consistent shooter.

While we could have 4 on the court that can make outside shots, which would be a welcome improvement, I think you’ve gotta have at least one of those absolute dead eyes that can hit 8 3’s in a game if he’s hot to be on a list like this. That’s kinda what I was getting at earlier but stopped at percentages.

Lots of other teams out there have those type of shooters. I don’t know if we do. A Rautins, GMac, Southerland, White, Shumpert level shooter.

I think we’ll shoot good enough though, and the numerous other capabilities that guys like Battle and Brissett bring to the table beyond shooting...we’ll be awfully tough.

Agreed. I was just trying to figure out what the logic might have been. I’m not even sure how important it is, as you point out. I’d love to see frank play a steadier pout, battle improve his floor game, brissett be stronger and a better finisher inside, sidibe be healthy and dolezaj continue to be aggressive offensively. I’d rank all those things as bigger keys than straight shooting.

I can't believe we are on this list.

I think the description is spot on, if they all work together as a team and accept their roles.

That rent-a-team with Uncle Drew and John Gillon looked outstanding on paper, but the defense just didn't gel. I don't think the chemistry was there, and chemistry is really underrated. That's why teams with experience frequently do well in the NCAA Tournament.

This year, we've got tons of it, plus the right new pieces. If Sidibe is healthy, and everybody buys in, this team looks like it has a shot at the Final Four to me.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we actually shoot it really well. We have capable shooters all over the place. So the talent is there and now so is the depth. Also have to think Tyus has addressed that weakness and comes out as a much more consistent shooter.

I think most everybody from last season is going to shoot it better because there are more shooters on the floor. There are more guys to cover, so there should be more open shots.

If we just share the ball and look for the best shot, this team could be dynamite offensively, and the defense is already one of the best in the nation, with literally everybody back.

Agreed. I was just trying to figure out what the logic might have been. I’m not even sure how important it is, as you point out. I’d love to see frank play a steadier pout, battle improve his floor game, brissett be stronger and a better finisher inside, sidibe be healthy and dolezaj continue to be aggressive offensively. I’d rank all those things as bigger keys than straight shooting.

If everybody has to do 10% less, because there are a handful of new guys who can actually contribute, then everybody can play better. 34-35 minutes of Tyus and Frank is better than 40, especially come March.

Develop your bench, rest your players, so maybe they don't get hurt so much, and trust that the new guys can learn the defense. Teach them. You don't learn the defense from the bench. You have to be in the actual game.

BTW, that prepares them better for the NBA or pro leagues better, by learning how to play with other good players, and not have to do it all yourself. You have to learn to find your place in a team when everyone is good.

We are getting a lot of national love for our potential this season, kinda weird to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom