College Football > NFL | Syracusefan.com

College Football > NFL

I disagree with his viewpoint. The college game is played the way it's played because there are over 120 FBS teams. Only a handful of them have guys good enough to get to the NFL. Everyone else is on a different talent level. And the discrepancy in talent between teams in the NFL is very small compared to the difference in college teams. There are mismatches all over a college field. A QB can sling it because his WR got 10 yards of separation and has the ability to make an adjustment and still catch the ball. If you throw a ball like that in the NFL it will get picked off. They have tried fancy offenses in the NFL and they don't work. The defenses are too good. Much like scholastic wrestling, it can be alot of fun to watch at the high school level, all kinds of cool moves being executed and escaped from, guys getting pinned, etc. Go watch that kind of wrestling in the Olympics, at it's highest level. Matches are won 1-0, 2-1, nobody ever gets pinned and you don't see many guillotines being performed.

College has more passion.
But the gap between the top 4 and the middle is huge:

Talent isn't close so coaching matters less.

In the NFL coaching matters a lot as the gap between the best team and worst team isn't a lot.

NFL is more coaching oriented and college is more talent oriented.

I disagree with his viewpoint. The college game is played the way it's played because there are over 120 FBS teams. Only a handful of them have guys good enough to get to the NFL. Everyone else is on a different talent level. And the discrepancy in talent between teams in the NFL is very small compared to the difference in college teams. There are mismatches all over a college field. A QB can sling it because his WR got 10 yards of separation and has the ability to make an adjustment and still catch the ball. If you throw a ball like that in the NFL it will get picked off. They have tried fancy offenses in the NFL and they don't work. The defenses are too good. Much like scholastic wrestling, it can be alot of fun to watch at the high school level, all kinds of cool moves being executed and escaped from, guys getting pinned, etc. Go watch that kind of wrestling in the Olympics, at it's highest level. Matches are won 1-0, 2-1, nobody ever gets pinned and you don't see many guillotines being performed.

I love both - for those reasons. I like the relative parity in the NFL. I also like that things in CFB are more volatile and fun.

College has more passion.
But the gap between the top 4 and the middle is huge:

Talent isn't close so coaching matters less.

In the NFL coaching matters a lot as the gap between the best team and worst team isn't a lot.

NFL is more coaching oriented and college is more talent oriented.

I am not sure this is entirely true. NFL success seems to be based on either great quarterback play or a great defense. A coach is important as he needs to create a offensive and defensive philosophy around the players on the team and, in the case of a quarterback, an offensive philosophy that can be run long-term that accentuates the quarterback's strengths. This is one of the reasons many teams, other than the Patriots, struggle when a back-up quarterback plays. Yes, there is a talent discrepancy, but also the new quarterback may not have the same strengths as the starter.

In the college game, I would argue whether it is more coaching oriented. Even schools like Alabama and Michigan, which get great recruiting classes year in and year out, had down periods because of poor coaches. Also, while there are some programs that win because of a constant influx of talent, those are few and far between. The programs that are successful long-term are those that are able to win due to a coaching philosophy that matches the strengths of the players the school can easily recruit. In an area with speed, but lack the big bodies that is needed for great offensive line play, go to a spread offense. In an area with big bodies, but not as much speed, run the ball and use a pro-style passing game. These are coaching decisions and those coaches that cannot adapt their philosophies to the natural recruiting advantage of their school are doomed to fail, while coaches that can do so may be successful and be a perennial bowl team. I would agree that those teams in the top 5 usually are those with either a pipeline for great talent (Alabama, OSU) or have a found/developed a rare great talent.

I am not sure this is entirely true. NFL success seems to be based on either great quarterback play or a great defense. A coach is important as he needs to create a offensive and defensive philosophy around the players on the team and, in the case of a quarterback, an offensive philosophy that can be run long-term that accentuates the quarterback's strengths. This is one of the reasons many teams, other than the Patriots, struggle when a back-up quarterback plays. Yes, there is a talent discrepancy, but also the new quarterback may not have the same strengths as the starter.

In the college game, I would argue whether it is more coaching oriented. Even schools like Alabama and Michigan, which get great recruiting classes year in and year out, had down periods because of poor coaches. Also, while there are some programs that win because of a constant influx of talent, those are few and far between. The programs that are successful long-term are those that are able to win due to a coaching philosophy that matches the strengths of the players the school can easily recruit. In an area with speed, but lack the big bodies that is needed for great offensive line play, go to a spread offense. In an area with big bodies, but not as much speed, run the ball and use a pro-style passing game. These are coaching decisions and those coaches that cannot adapt their philosophies to the natural recruiting advantage of their school are doomed to fail, while coaches that can do so may be successful and be a perennial bowl team. I would agree that those teams in the top 5 usually are those with either a pipeline for great talent (Alabama, OSU) or have a found/developed a rare great talent.
Coaching in the NFL blows.

Belichick dominates because he is better than these clowns.

Their are more than enough quality QBs.

Andy Reid is a top 5 NFL coach and he makes way too many mistakes.

Now if your a Bills fan I see why you say it's QBs. The Bills haven't had a top half QB since Doug Flutie.

College football look at the QBs Alabama has had outside of AJ McCarron the team hasn't had a pro QB that speaks volume to the talent on Alabama.

If Saban gets an NFL QB at Bama he won't lose.

Now if your a Bills fan I see why you say it's QBs. The Bills haven't had a top half QB since Doug Flutie.

College football look at the QBs Alabama has had outside of AJ McCarron the team hasn't had a pro QB that speaks volume to the talent on Alabama.

Bledsoe was pretty highly rated in one year (or a couple of his years) in Buffalo, IIRC

You know why I like college football more than the NFL? If the game I am watching isn't that great, I can flip to one of 12 other games that are on the tube at that time.

With the NFL, you might have the option to watch one of two games and the RedZone, unless you have DirecTV.

NFL has done a nice job shortening the length of games, it has a great production quality, and fantasy football is a fun way to connect with friends, but for pure entertainment, the options that CFB offers is head and shoulders above. I can't even imagine what I'd do if I weren't a Giants fan but was stuck with them as the only option (or one of two options) to watch NINE times this year. I'd probably shut off the TV too.

You know why I like college football more than the NFL? If the game I am watching isn't that great, I can flip to one of 12 other games that are on the tube at that time.

With the NFL, you might have the option to watch one of two games and the RedZone, unless you have DirecTV.

NFL has done a nice job shortening the length of games, it has a great production quality, and fantasy football is a fun way to connect with friends, but for pure entertainment, the options that CFB offers is head and shoulders above. I can't even imagine what I'd do if I weren't a Giants fan but was stuck with them as the only option (or one of two options) to watch NINE times this year. I'd probably shut off the TV too.
Great point on the limited options. This season is ggoing to be very long watching Jets, Bills and Giants every Sunday.

I enjoy seeing all the different philosophies in college football. That makes it pretty fun for me.

However, as others have noted, it's a bit boring to have same couple teams blow everyone out all year every year. Then again, the NFL has the Patriots, sooooo...

NFL can be hard to watch a lot, imo, because defensive players are so good. Obviously offensive players in the NFL are there for a reason, but the speed, strength, agility, and size of some of these defenders is insane. Plus, the schemes associated with them are so complex. It also proves just how hard it is to be a QB in the league. I mean how many offensive guys have very good college careers but get absolutely destroyed at the next level? It's pretty amazing.

Its fun if your a fan of Alabma, Clemson, Ohio st, I love the college game, but at least in the Nfl each year brings new hope. I mean not trying to be negative here, but will Syracuse ever be a top ten team again?

I am a Packers' fan, which is why I say it is the QBs. Favre's and Rodgers' supporting casts have not always been top tier, but having great quarterback play gets the Packers' into the playoffs most years.

Alabama has a NFL defense. Its offense is a second thought.

College can have more zany endings, the NFL the next day is almost sobering.

Also like someone else said easy to change the channel 8x on a Sat and catch a game, one or two of them inevitably will be good.

Its fun if your a fan of Alabma, Clemson, Ohio st, I love the college game, but at least in the Nfl each year brings new hope. I mean not trying to be negative here, but will Syracuse ever be a top ten team again?

Have you tried being a Bills fan?

I am a Packers' fan, which is why I say it is the QBs. Favre's and Rodgers' supporting casts have not always been top tier, but having great quarterback play gets the Packers' into the playoffs most years.

Alabama has a NFL defense. Its offense is a second thought.
See the Packers are wasting an alltime QB because McCarthy is such an overrated coach.

He has the NFC version of Brady and the same chitty division as the Patriots have and the team blows games in the regular season which costs them home games in the playoffs:

Packers should fire McCarthy but won't.

Give the Packers Sean Payton they have another SB IMO.

I highly disagree and so do about 10 NFL teams.

See SF, Cinci, Jets, Browns, etc. Those QBs are not good enough to be consistent producers against NFL defenses. It's not their coaching. They just stink.

College can have more zany endings, the NFL the next day is almost sobering.

College - Amatuer
NFL - Professional

What you said is true of most sports. When you're not trying to watch the game at it's highest level then mistakes, miscues, etc will lead to some wild stuff. I personally like the technical crispness of the NFL opposed to the sloppy play of college, I still love college, it's football after all, but despite the cameras, full stadiums, and pagentry the game itself can be pretty sloppy.

Barely watch NFL anymore, but I'll watch as many college games as I can. Something about the NFL I just don't like anymore.
Interesting, I find myself going in the other direction. To me the college game is lacking something very important. I call it defense. And I love me some defense. The avg college team now scores 30 ppg. I know there are many who prefer this onslaught of TDs, FGs, tv timeouts after the TD, tv timeout after the XP, kickoff, tv timeout after kickoff, etc. Seriously college games are taking longer than ever. There are more blowouts than ever before. I used to watch college religiously, but since last year and this year I find myself watching more random NFL games than I do college at this point.

I highly disagree and so do about 10 NFL teams.

See SF, Cinci, Jets, Browns, etc. Those QBs are not good enough to be consistent producers against NFL defenses. It's not their coaching. They just stink.

College - Amatuer
NFL - Professional

What you said is true of most sports. When you're not trying to watch the game at it's highest level then mistakes, miscues, etc will lead to some wild stuff. I personally like the technical crispness of the NFL opposed to the sloppy play of college, I still love college, it's football after all, but despite the cameras, full stadiums, and pagentry the game itself can be pretty sloppy.

Interesting, I find myself going in the other direction. To me the college game is lacking something very important. I call it defense. And I love me some defense. The avg college team now scores 30 ppg. I know there are many who prefer this onslaught of TDs, FGs, tv timeouts after the TD, tv timeout after the XP, kickoff, tv timeout after kickoff, etc. Seriously college games are taking longer than ever. There are more blowouts than ever before. I used to watch college religiously, but since last year and this year I find myself watching more random NFL games than I do college at this point.
Those teams you listed are about it.

There are enough solid QBs out there.
Look at what has happened to Jared Goff he has an actual coach now not Jeff Fisher and McVey is developing him.

The Jets are tanking.
The Browns have Kizer.
The 49ers are clearly rebuilding this year and will get a QB in the next draft.
Andy Dalton has taken his team to the playoffs 4 of 5 years that isn't a bad QB. He has sucked in 2 games though.

QBs are better than you think:
The entire NFC East, South have solid QBs.

Detroit, Green Bay have solid QBs.
Chicago has a rookie and Glennon.
Minnesota has Bradford

Seattle, Arizona are fine.
San Fran doesn't have a QB.
Rams have a young QB.

The Patriots have 2 QBs Brady and Garrapolo.
The rest of the AFC East blows.
Big Ben, Flacco, Dalton solid.
Mariota, Luck are solid.
Jacksonville doesn't have a QB
Houston has a rookie.

AFC west has 4 solid QBs. Rivers, Siemon, Carr, Smith.

By my count 6 teams don't have solid starting QBs and if you count Jay Cutler then it's 5.

Look at the coaches in the NFL.

The middle and bottom are awful.

If Dallas hired a real HC they would be better. Instead they have a sock puppet and the team doesn't have discipline.
The Giants have an offensive coordinator masquerading as a HC.

I can go on.

Look at the coaches in the NFL.

The middle and bottom are awful.

If Dallas hired a real HC they would be better. Instead they have a sock puppet and the team doesn't have discipline.
The Giants have an offensive coordinator masquerading as a HC.

I can go on.

I haven't been a Garrett supporter, I always go back and forth with my fellow Cowboys fans who love the guy, but he did a really good job last year. I am just tired of seeing the guy doing his little golf clap when we are getting killed, or someone makes a terrible play. I want to see him get in someones face one of these days.

I haven't been a Garrett supporter, I always go back and forth with my fellow Cowboys fans who love the guy, but he did a really good job last year. I am just tired of seeing the guy doing his little golf clap when we are getting killed, or someone makes a terrible play. I want to see him get in someones face one of these days.
Garrett is such a Jerry Jones puppet it's beyond obvious.
The Dallas team has been good because the OL has been dominating.

When they don't dominate they lose.
He isn't good at game planning. Denver completely got him to abandon the run.

If you switched Jason Garrett with Bill O'Brien Dallas becomes a lot better.