College football still feels rigged | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College football still feels rigged

The problem is, we still have humans making judgement calls. So even if you went with all conf champs plus highest BCS ranked G5, you'll still get controversy if an undefeated UCF and a 1 loss Boise and all the controversy that goes along with deciding who is worthy of the spot.

I HATE preseason rankings. I hate rankings the first half of the season period. They give teams a head start in perception. It keeps the SEC circle jerk alive. Yeah, bama is in the championship game, but OSU could have just as easily beaten clemson, as could PSU. But they didnt get in, why? Becuase of humans in the BCS. UCF didnt get in, but did beat an Auburn team that beat TWO of the playoff teams.

The issue is with teams getting a shot. Right now, there isnt enough spots. I say go conf champs plus G5.

but OSU could have just as easily beaten clemson, as could PSU. But they didnt get in, why?

I think OSU and PSU were both great this year, but once you lose two games, all bets are off and it's hard to feel sorry for yourselves, especially when one of those losses was getting destroyed by Iowa.

I'm on the opposite side from the OP on this one. When I was younger I preferred college basketball to the NBA and the NFL to college football but now I've reversed completely and prefer college football and NBA basketball. I would love an 8 game playoff but it's hard to argue with any team that has won the championship during the playoff era. I do agree that it stinks for non-P5 schools like UCF this year but they're an outlier and Auburn is a much better matchup for them than any of the Final 4 teams would've been (except maybe Clemson).
As bad as we were yesterday I don't think we beat UCF.

Wonder what the ratings will be for GA/Bama? I, for one, am completely disinterested. Nick Saban versus his protege - Kirby Smart. Two SEC schools. Barf.

I've seen a lot of people knocking on Clemson today, they must have forgotten both games last year were blowouts.

Clemson 31 - Ohio State 0

Alabama 24 - Washington 7

Wonder what the ratings will be for GA/Bama? I, for one, am completely disinterested. Nick Saban versus his protege - Kirby Smart. Two SEC schools. Barf.

I might abstain.

UCF not getting a shot + a team that couldn’t win its own conf exposes the system in all the right spots.

Time to expand the field.

As bad as we were yesterday I don't think we beat UCF.
I felt like they could've given you fits with their tempo and had some players on defense to match up with your athletes. Georgia and Alabama would've manhandled them and Oklahoma would've been a shootout. You guys will be back again next year though as your recruiting has been absurd.

I love college football, but I am not planning on watching the Bagman Bowl on Monday. I have no interest in watching the game and wonder how many outside SEC territory will as well. If the ratings are low enough, perhaps ESPN will change the narrative next year and be against two teams from one conference making it in the CFP (but probably not).

To each their own, but I personally don't care if a non-conference champion is in the playoff. I just want the best teams, and if it's multiple teams from the same conference, so be it. If Bama blows out Clemson and then goes and defeats Georgia, they earned their title.

Bama completely dismantled LSU in that 2011 title game. LSU had less than 100 yards and didn't cross midfield.
The problem is "best team" is subjective.

A conference champion has a rock solid achievement.

Also, Alabama lost AT HOME to that same LSU team. LSU achieved what they were supposed to. Bama didn't. Why did the selection do right by Alabama?

Simple Solution cancel all bowls and do a 16 team playoff.....

Personally, I think a decent series of steps would be...

1) Bring the American and Mountain West conferences into a new "P7" and call that Division 1. Sorry MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA, you're out.

2) Eliminate all games against FCS schools. P7 plays P7, that's it.

3) Expand the field to 8. There will always be arguments about inclusion but I'd rather have those arguments about what 2 or 3-loss team gets left out as opposed to what 1-loss team get's left out.

Also, Alabama lost AT HOME to that same LSU team. LSU achieved what they were supposed to. Bama didn't. Why did the selection do right by Alabama?

Because they’re Bama and people who pick the teams give certain teams the benefit of doubt based on program history. That’s my biggest problem.

1) Bring the American and Mountain West conferences into a new "P7" and call that Division 1. Sorry MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA, you're out.

3) Expand the field to 8. There will always be arguments about inclusion but I'd rather have those arguments about what 2 or 3-loss team gets left out as opposed to what 1-loss team get's left out.

Or, add C-USA and you now have 8 conference champs in the playoffs. Sorry ND, time to join someone.

Saban/Alabama are ruining college football. Alabama has been professionalized to a level that the Cleveland Browns only dream of. The meatpacking company methods of artificially "enhanced" meat production and training have resulted in a pavlovian responding slab of high velocity meat ready to detach pieces from opposing low quality untrained slabs of meat. This is an industrial/technological accomplishment that we can marvel at. GMF football is here. Genetically modified football.

I think you’re right. I may casually watch just to hopefully see GA kick their ass but I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t watch at all. This game will get between a 10-11.5 share and ESPiN will be left wondering what they did. It could be under 10. With having two SEC teams and the game in Atlanta, no one outsidenof the SE will care.

Because their only loss was by 3 points in OT to the #1 team in the country.

You can cut the fat by requiring 40k minimum capacity and 75% attendance.

From the P5 only Wake and Washington State would need to expand. A few P5 teams might need to reduce capacity to ensure 75% every year.

It's bizarre to me that people taking time out of their day to post on a college football message board don't find college footballs Super Bowl interesting.

You can cut the fat by requiring 40k minimum capacity and 75% attendance.

From the P5 only Wake and Washington State would need to expand. A few P5 teams might need to reduce capacity to ensure 75% every year.

Daryl Gross should be appointed the official auditor of 75% attendance reporting.