College football still feels rigged | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

College football still feels rigged

It's bizarre to me that people taking time out of their day to post on a college football message board don't find college footballs Super Bowl interesting.

They missed quite the Rose Bowl yesterday. That's always the most fun game each NYD. Perfect time to watch and not fall asleep, great setting, I love that you can get such a great sense of the crowd split because there's no darkness in the stadium. It's nearly impossible for me to stay awake for a game that starts at 9 pm on a guaranteed hangover day.

I can see why people might be turned off this particular year with 2 SEC teams playing. But I'd bet more will watch or follow the game than they lead on.

It's going to be the highest priced ticket in the history of college football. And at least with Georgia, there's some new blood in there. I think others will start cycling in there in future years.

It's bizarre to me that people taking time out of their day to post on a college football message board don't find college footballs Super Bowl interesting.

It’s like watching two teams from the same division play (let’s say the AFC West). We’ve already seen them play, it’s geographically remote from the NE.

It doesn’t help that it’s Alabama. The sport needs more parity.

It’s like watching two teams from the same division play (let’s say the AFC West). We’ve already seen them play, it’s geographically remote from the NE.

It doesn’t help that it’s Alabama. The sport needs more parity.

Bama and Georgia haven't played yet this year. And if Georgia wins, that will be five different national champions in the past five seasons.

Alabama deserves to be in the playoff, its not Nick Saban's fault that he is that much better than everyone else.

Alabama deserves to be in the playoff, its not Nick Saban's fault that he is that much better than everyone else.

The best thing that could happen for the sport is he retire. Bama and the rest of the Sec play an incredibly boring style of football. I can watch terrible quarterback play and three yards plus a cloud of dust this Sunday with the Bills/Jags.

The best thing that could happen for the sport is he retire. Bama and the rest of the Sec play an incredibly boring style of football. I can watch terrible quarterback play and three yards plus a cloud of dust this Sunday with the Bills/Jags.

I don't think Alabama fans are bored.

Jalen Hurts threw 17 TDs and 1 INT this year. Jake Fromm as a freshman threw 23 TDs and 5 picks. That is terrible? Both have very high passer ratings. Georgia's two running backs are incredibly exciting and combined for more yards than any tandem in history.

I’ve been told the regular season is a playoff in itself, but is it really if Alabama makes the playoff without winning its conference?

UCF beating Auburn shows the best of the non P5 schools can compete with the P5. I don’t want to hear they should have a stronger schedule strength because there’s no way the Sabans/Swinney’s of the coaching landscape are going to play the best non P5 teams and take a chance they might lose.

They need to go to an 8 team playoff or people are going to continue to cry politics.

Yes, this game we all love is a cess pool. If you are a fan and dont see it, well then, you need to open your eyes. A few points:

1. Yes, the regular season is the best in all of sports. Every game is meaningful from labor day forward. Look at what a yawner the college hoops regular season is knowing that , honestly, the winner of the duke/ NC game (and other rivalries) most likely means nothing when it comes to the subjective listing of the 64 seeds. Ok, maybe a 2 vs a 3 seed? Yawn...

2. Yes, Bama, didn't win their conference but the setup is brutal and the iron bowl should be played earlier in the schedule. Who knows if Bama was the 4th team, i would have no problem with 8 teams with the top 2 getting a bye.

3. Yes CFB is a cesspool. And its gotten worse with the early signing period. The sport starts in September and plays for the crescendo that is the holidays and the bowls and playoffs yet: this time of year is THE MOST VOLATILE AND UNSTABLE time of year for the sport. Coaches are looking to move or have been fired, coaches working for 2 schools or bailing on the team they coached all year. Its a mess! And now the early signing period thrown into this dumpster fire?

Jalen Hurts threw 17 TDs and 1 INT this year. Jake Fromm as a freshman threw 23 TDs and 5 picks. That is terrible? Both have very high passer ratings. Georgia's two running backs are incredibly exciting and combined for more yards than any tandem in history.
Throwing the ball in college football is beyond easy compared to the NFL.
Hurts doesn’t have to throw the ball into tight windows.
Hurts looks at his first read if it’s covered he will scramble.

Frohm has the best 1-2 running back tandem which makes throwing the ball easy.

Neither guy is must watch.

Throwing the ball in college football is beyond easy compared to the NFL.

That's a bit of a tangent, but I obviously agree.

Jalen Hurts is all hype. He's meh compared to other QBs in the game. His advantage is the giant meat machine in front of him, not to mention the backs he has behind him are usually bulldozers.

Last night was all about Alabama's healthy defense and Bryant's limitations at QB. Clemson's D is top notch but spent most of the night on the field. Clemson fans got to feel what Syracuse fans felt the last 5 games of the past two seasons. Terrible offensive play from the QB position / OL and watching a gassed D get rolled in the second half. Deshaun Watson could have given this Clemson team more than a chance to win that game. Felt like Clemson brought their watered down playbook. They were so much more dynamic last year.

Here's hoping the GA Bulldogs bring one home for the state. I am a Bulldog fan for the next week. Roll The Tide.

I won't be happy until it's an all-SEC playoff.

I’ve been told the regular season is a playoff in itself, but is it really if Alabama makes the playoff without winning its conference?

UCF beating Auburn shows the best of the non P5 schools can compete with the P5. I don’t want to hear they should have a stronger schedule strength because there’s no way the Sabans/Swinney’s of the coaching landscape are going to play the best non P5 teams and take a chance they might lose.

They need to go to an 8 team playoff or people are going to continue to cry politics.
Have an 8 team playoff and UCF still isn't getting in. The non-P5 schools have no chance. The Power 5 Conferences aren't going to kick out one of their own to make a spot for a school like UCF who plays nobody and beat nobody. Never gonna happen

Have an 8 team playoff and UCF still isn't getting in. The non-P5 schools have no chance. The Power 5 Conferences aren't going to kick out one of their own to make a spot for a school like UCF who plays nobody and beat nobody. Never gonna happen

But if a P5 team goes undefeated there is a high chance they would be in a "top 8". There are so few undefeated teams every year.

If Mizzou went undefeated this year (SoS #55) they would be a top 8 team, right?

If Tennessee went undefeated this year (SoS #65) they would be a top 8 team, right?

If UCF went undefeated this year (SoS #54) they would get ranked 12th...?

But if a P5 team goes undefeated there is a high chance they would be in a "top 8". There are so few undefeated teams every year.

If Mizzou went undefeated this year (SoS #55) they would be a top 8 team, right?

If Tennessee went undefeated this year (SoS #65) they would be a top 8 team, right?

If UCF went undeated this year (SoS #54) they would get ranked 12th...?

The thing is, if Mizzou or Tennessee went undefeated, they would have multiple elite wins on their resume, like Georgia and Alabama.

The thing is, if Mizzou or Tennessee went undefeated, they would have multiple elite wins on their resume, like Georgia and Alabama.

Mizzou would have Auburn and then the SEC title game, obviously. So yes. Good point.

But to say UCF wouldn't be included in a top 8 is terrible. That's just proving Danny White's point that there is serious bias in this committee.

Ohio State had a great year, beat a bunch of solid teams, but they lost twice. They're out. It is extremely difficult to go undefeated.

At the end of the day... in an 8 team playoff this year here in my own fantasyland, UCF gets in.

I really hope Boise beats OK State next year to test this theory. My opinion is they would be out. The sports media has been pretty good on this lately.

I think that the P5 should stop the charade that a G5 team could make the playoff. The CFP is a creation of the P5 with a bone (a big 6 bowl game) thrown to the best G5 team. CFP is NOT a NCAA championship game. If it makes people feel better, call it the Power Five Football Playoff. The G5 can create their own playoff system any time they want.

Houston would have made the CFB playoff if they went undefeated last year.
They had Oklahoma and Louisville both preseason top 25 teams as nonconference opponents.
They lost games thus didn’t make it.
UCF is a fine team but they didn’t beat anyone in the nonconference and lost there best nonconference opponent Georgia Tech because of the Hurricane last year.

UCF didn’t have the schedule to make the playoff.
They can get games with good teams.
South Carolina, Texas have played at UCF recently.

This is the American wanting P6 status and the conference doesn’t have the depth to deserve it.

If a G5 team wants to get in then they need to only play 8 conference games, no FCS teams, at least 2 P5 teams, and no crap OOC G5 teams. The more in conference games they have the more they hurt themselves.

UCF got unlucky with GA Tech. That would have bumped them higher. At the same time they have zero excuse for playing Maine. If the B1G bans FCS so could the G5.

I agree with your points about the 8 team playoff and the difficulty teams like UCF face but the "conference champion" argument drives me insane. Way too much leeway for disaster if that's the standard. Too many disparities between conferences and within conference (two divisions). You could get somebody winning the SEC East or B1G West that has two conference losses and one outside the conference yet somehow pulls off an upset in the conference championship game. That team does not deserve a bid with four teams and prolly not eight teams either. Plus what if two of the four best teams are in the same conference as was clearly the case this season?

I want the four best teams in there. I actually think the Committee has done a solid job since the CFP was established.

I’ve been told by people who love college football on this board that the regular season is part of the playoffs. If that is the case that should have been an elimination game.

Does strength of schedule ever come into play?