College hoops diversion | Syracusefan.com

College hoops diversion

I got 143 I missed one in 1981 that answer shocked me. I would have never gotten it with more time.

I got 143 I missed one in 1981 that answer shocked me. I would have never gotten it with more time.

Ya, that one was a stunner. Never heard of that before. They must've had a dream season.

136 as well. That one in 1981 shocked me. Latest I missed was 2005 and still have a hard time believing that program had a 1 seed. Only one I missed that I absolutely knew was 1997.

136 as well. That one in 1981 shocked me. Latest I missed was 2005 and still have a hard time believing that program had a 1 seed. Only one I missed that I absolutely knew was 1997.
That was the year the NCAA used championships in the regular season and postseason instead of total losses to justify giving that team a 1 seed. The committee put the team that should have been a 1 seed in their bracket as their sweet 16 opponent.

I missed those two, a woulda-been 1996 opponent of ours who had three #1 seeds, and two more that I didn't know but probably should've guessed.

Was kind of surprised that Utah never got a #1 in the late '90s.

Since you didn't get penalized for wrong answers, I just blew through the P5, then blindly started going through the best of the rest.

Shocked that Rutgers name never came up. ;)

OttoMets said:
I missed those two, a woulda-been 1996 opponent of ours who had three #1 seeds, and two more that I didn't know but probably should've guessed.

Was kind of surprised that Utah never got a #1 in the late '90s.

I typed in Utah several times thinking that I spelled it wrong. Those Van Horn teams were good. Can't believe they never got a 1.

I typed in Utah several times thinking that I spelled it wrong. Those Van Horn teams were good. Can't believe they never got a 1.

Wow, they went 25-3 in 1998 and got a 3 seed. Beat the #1 by 20 in the regional final, gave Kentucky a challenge in the championship game and finished 30-4. Similar deal the year before: 2 seed, lost to Kentucky in the regional final, finished 29-4.

They were undefeated very late into the season along with Stanford one year also. My 124 sucked, compared to the rest of you! I missed two pretty obvious ones that would have bumped me way up to 135.

Oregon State?

Oregon State?

That's what I was thinking. I got that one.

I'm embarrassed about the one I missed...Kansas. In my defense, I've been sick the last two days.

Amazon how good Depaul was in the early 80's.

That's what I was thinking. I got that one.

I'm embarrassed about the one I missed...Kansas. In my defense, I've been sick the last two days.

Amazon how good Depaul was in the early 80's.

I remember those teams, they were about the time I started following college basketball.

I think Oregon State had a two or three year run with Steve Johnson as their stud center. Ralph Miller was the coach. Don't remember much else, except I think they spent some time as #1 and were top 10 for a couple of seasons.

DePaul on the other hand had a couple of guys that were terrific Terry Cummings, Mark Aguirre and Skip Dillard and they were coached by Ray Meyer. Depaul crushed us in 1981 and I think they had a couple of year run where they were a top 5 team.

It always kills me to see Depaul in the sorry state it is. Because they were at the pinnacle when I first started paying attention, I always think of them in the back of my mind as being great even though it has been a heckuva long time since they've done anything.

Last edited:
Oregon State was the one I missed as well. I was at 142 when I got Notre Dame and would never have gotten the Beavers.
Good exercise only Big East schools to get 1 seeds while in the Big East were Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, UConn.

ACC schools to get 1 seeds North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Maryland, Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom