College hoops is getting really hard to watch | Syracusefan.com

College hoops is getting really hard to watch

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I'm personally getting to the point where if Syracuse isn't playing I can't stand watching college basketball . Seriously, I was channel surfing the other night and the most entertaining game by far was the Knicks game. I'm setting really sick of these 52 to 46 games. It used to be that only Pitt and Butler played that way. Now, apparently there is no such thing as fouling an opposing player if he's not in the act of shooting. And don't get me started on moving picks!! Wasn't that a point of emphasis just a couple years ago?? What the hell. They are ruining the best of all sports

I still watch a lot but man is it taxing.

The moving screens are horrid and the whole basis of many programs offense. The constant slapping and bumbing with little to no calls. The scrum on every loose ball or rebound. Getting the block charge call wrong 95% of the time. UGLY

this has been the worst college basketball season i can remember. these games are just awful, they really gotta change some rules to pick up the pace and favor the offense more, just like the nfl.

this has been the worst college basketball season i can remember. these games are just awful, they really gotta change some rules to pick up the pace and favor the offense more, just like the nfl.

30 second shot clock would help

i've been feeling this way for a few years, but it really seems like it's picking up m ore steam from the general fanbase. That's a good thing; maybe we can actually start to do something about it. Shorten the shot clock, and call the game tighter.

Been sayin this for years as well. The college game is very hard to watch...outside of Cuse and march madness time. There just aren't enough great talents to watch and the product is so watered down.

I'm strictly NBA anymore... I like watching talent.

They were actually talking about this during the Knicks game last night and once they pointed out how players just get mauled on the perimeter in college basketball (bumping/hand checking) you really noticed how players actually guard in the NBA. They dont bump, slap, tackle players, they move their feet and stay in front of them. I never knew how noticeable it was until it was brought up last night and I started paying attention to the difference in the pro game.

It's funny, because now if I see a game where the score is in the 80's, I'm shocked. Meanwhile, we've averaged 80 points/game something like 5 out of the last 10 years. Seriously, now if I see a team that scored under 20 points in the first half, I'm not even phased. If that happened 10 years ago, there would probably be a 10 page thread on this side mocking it.

I'm all for a 30sec shot clock and NBA charge block line thats further out.

These would help a bit but its really more of a style thing that has developed because the talent level in college ball gets worse every season and they for some reason have stopped calling obvious fouls.

I think they should call an automatic foul for using your hands on someones body while defending. Not slapping at the ball but holding on or pushing with your hands. Put your hand on a guy foul everytime done easy to call. You can still use your body and positioning but you cannot use your hands.

The other thing they should do is doc every ref pay for every odvious moving screen the crew misses until they call them. Its as simply as calling the first two every half to force teams to stop or have all their bigs on the bench in foul trouble. Its maddening because it would be so easy to clean this aspect of the game up.

I'm all for a 30sec shot clock and NBA charge block line thats further out.

These would help a bit but its really more of a style thing that has developed because the talent level in college ball gets worse every season and they for some reason have stopped calling obvious fouls.

I think they should call an automatic foul for using your hands on someones body while defending. Not slapping at the ball but holding on or pushing with your hands. Put your hand on a guy foul everytime done easy to call. You can still use your body and positioning but you cannot use your hands.

The other thing they should do is doc every ref pay for every odvious moving screen the crew misses until they call them. Its as simply as calling the first two every half to force teams to stop or have all their bigs on the bench in foul trouble. Its maddening because it would be so easy to clean this aspect of the game up.

Keita would foul out before the second tv timeout :)

Yeah, its to a point now where I think a lot of coaches tell their guys to use their hands to slow up offensive guys. It's the only way a lot of teams can compete... dragging games into the mud.

They were actually talking about this during the Knicks game last night and once they pointed out how players just get mauled on the perimeter in college basketball (bumping/hand checking) you really noticed how players actually guard in the NBA. They dont bump, slap, tackle players, they move their feet and stay in front of them. I never knew how noticeable it was until it was brought up last night and I started paying attention to the difference in the pro game.

Yeah, it was Calipari. And he's right. Jay Bilas has been banging this drum for awhile too.

Drives too, there are plenty of drives I watch in college where I expect an and one because they would call one during an NBA game. (I'm pretty sure MCW's dunk against Louisville would be an and-1 if it was in the NBA). There are definitely times they call ticky tack fouls in the NBA, but those are worth it because the game is more wide open.

I really like this discussion. I blame the NBA (see Bill Self thread) but I also think some rules need to change. Remember when they did the four corners? Let's get things going again! We college fans need to form a union. Ha ha! But seriously, we need to figure out a way to effect change.

We need John Chaney back to send thugs after moving screeners and to threaten to kill other coaches who use this strategy

Yeah, it was Calipari. And he's right. Jay Bilas has been banging this drum for awhile too.

Drives too, there are plenty of drives I watch in college where I expect an and one because they would call one during an NBA game. (I'm pretty sure MCW's dunk against Louisville would be an and-1 if it was in the NBA). There are definitely times they call ticky tack fouls in the NBA, but those are worth it because the game is more wide open.

there were at least 3 triche drives in the 1st half of the pitt game that he got obviously fouled on with no call. i literally stopped caring about the game at that point, its not basketball.

I have watched more this year than any year I can remember. I literally cant watch enough.

NBA - yawn. Like wathing paint dry. Wake me when the playoffs start.

There was a drive that Triche had against ND where Bilas asked "How many times do you think Triche was fouled on that drive?" Raft said something like "four" and Bilas said "at least". There was no call at all and their point was solid he was continually fouled from the time he put the ball on the floor at the 3pt line until he released his shot at around 5'.

I have watched more this year than any year I can remember. I literally cant watch enough.

NBA - yawn. Like wathing paint dry. Wake me when the playoffs start.

I love college bball but I have to disagree. The NBA has really started to get back to being a beautifull game. It allows its stars to shine and you can see why this player or that is so valuable and clearly better than others because the defense is not usually allowed to use MMA grapling skills to take away said better players advantage. Also the level of defene played in the NBA is far superior when because they must play position our get whistled. Its high level and fun. I want the college game to go in that direction as well.

The ironic thing is that it used to be the other way around - the pros used to foul, hand check, bump and grind, and the college teams used to play actual basketball.

SU basketball is the most important thing i watch, but other than our games, i seldom will watch more than a few minutes of any other college team. I do watch a lot of NBA, though. I agree wholeheartedly with what "MyMeloMyMan" said above.

Yes or learn to set a proper screen

As important is to teach the cutter to wait for the screen to be set before cutting. This is especially problematic in today's game when it comes to ballscreens.

I love college bball but I have to disagree. The NBA has really started to get back to being a beautifull game. It allows its stars to shine and you can see why this player or that is so valuable and clearly better than others because the defense is not usually allowed to use MMA grapling skills to take away said better players advantage. Also the level of defene played in the NBA is far superior when because they must play position our get whistled. Its high level and fun. I want the college game to go in that direction as well.

Too much one on one for me. The season is way too long. I just dont enjoy it nearly as much as I did back in the 80's and early to mid 90's. The league was better back then and I enjoyed it more than I do today. I dont know if I have watched 1 combined hour of an NBA game this season. I dont think I have seen Kevin Durant play live in like 2 years. Just no interest.

The shot clock has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is constant fouls and moving picks.

I agree to an extent, obviously the shot clock doesn't have anything to do with all the hand checking and stuff. But it would at least increase the scores. Preferably they would fix both problems; the games are both slower and more physical.

the pros used to foul, hand check, bump and grind, and the college teams used to play actual basketball.

The NBA really made a great call in the middle of the last decade when they cut out so much of the hand checking. The game is so much better to watch.