College hoops is getting really hard to watch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College hoops is getting really hard to watch

Too much one on one for me. The season is way too long. I just dont enjoy it nearly as much as I did back in the 80's and early to mid 90's. The league was better back then and I enjoyed it more than I do today. I dont know if I have watched 1 combined hour of an NBA game this season. I dont think I have seen Kevin Durant play live in like 2 years. Just no interest.

Obviously to each his own, but my opinion is you are really missing out. I do agree on the length of the season though. But the players are just so good. Every basket SU scores in the half court is like pulling teeth; I expect the Knicks to come down and run a good set and get a bucket.

I agree to an extent, obviously the shot clock doesn't have anything to do with all the hand checking and stuff. But it would at least increase the scores. Preferably they would fix both problems; the games are both slower and more physical.

The NBA really made a great call in the middle of the last decade when they cut out so much of the hand checking. The game is so much better to watch.

The problem with the shot clock idea is that if you permit the current amount of fouling to continue, then shortening the shot clock just leads to more bad shots. It will affect shooting percentages as much as it will affect scoring.

The problem with the shot clock idea is that if you permit the current amount of fouling to continue, then shortening the shot clock just leads to more bad shots. It will affect shooting percentages as much as it will affect scoring.

It's possible; but it just seems that so m uch of the shot clock now is teams just stalling for time anyway that I'm not sure how much it would matter. But I do agree they should obviously clean up the game, but I'd also like to shorten the clock

The ironic thing is that it used to be the other way around - the pros used to foul, hand check, bump and grind, and the college teams used to play actual basketball.

Very true and I got away from the NBA because of that. Imagine Jordan playing in todays game of no hand checking and bumping on the perimeter . . . . . . . . .

there were at least 3 triche drives in the 1st half of the pitt game that he got obviously fouled on with no call.

Triche should average 8-10FTs a game. The vast majority of his drives are strong and under control. It's like he is being punished for having the upper body strength to absorb all of those swinging arms without flinching.

Also, three other calls from the nd game really stood out: 1. MCW getting tackled on the loose ball at half court right in front of the ref. 2. Jerian Grant had a fast break and McW body checked him and nothing was called. 3. ND player driving into the lane and Jerami Grant stepping up to take a charge. The force of the hit was so hard, the ND player fumbled and nothing was called.

something needs to be called on all of those plays.

The shot clock would help separate the better teams because it would lead to more posessions.

It seems to me that the NCAA has fallen in love with the upset since the NCAA tourney has become so huge and people like to see that. SO they have continually moved the game toward tilting the playing field to give the less talented teams a better chance of pulling the upset. The probelm is 95% of upsets are now ugly boring grinder games where the better team is at a disadvantage because of the way the call or more specifically do not call fouls.

Wouldn't allowing more moving screens aid the offense though? Thought you said you hate the low scores? I think the moving screens are more a symptom allowing WAY too much contact and hand-checking on/off the ball - which we agree on. I think if you put more distance between the players and allow better freedom of movement then the scores will go way up. Another problem is the loss of the midrange game along with its apparent effect on FT shooting. FT shooting these days is horrendous. CJ shows us first hand how effective a midrange game can be, yet for some reason its been abandoned in college ball. I'm guessing its because these are still kids, growing up, trying to find their place, make a name ... to them acrobatic drives/dunks & "raining treys" are what's 'sexy'. Nobody ever got on Sportscenter for hitting a smooth 13 footer from the elbow.

Eliminating the hand checking (or making Aaron Craft foul out in 2 minutes) seems like a good way to go. You can't put your hands on the guy. FOUL. period. As it is, guys get away with it because refs are thirty feet away and can't determine if a guy is lightly touching his opponent or pushing him around.

My girlfriend watches games with me and she often is surprised when she sees teams like OSU and Pitt and says that she "didn't think you can be so aggressive like that."

The shot clock has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is constant fouls and moving picks.
You have to admit though, the ridiculous tactic of playing catch around the perimeter for 20 seconds every possession before making a play is not helping.

Teams should constantly be trying to score when they have the ball. "Clock management" has gotten stupid in college, it shouldn't be a competitive tactic.

One of the reasons you need so many illegal screens is because its hard to separate when you are being bumped, held and slapped constantly. IF you clean up that stuff it will be easier for teams to run offense. One gives the defense an unfair advantage and one is kind of the offensive answer to that unfair advantage. They go hand in hand to me and both need to be cleaned up.

The NBA is so hard to watch because it's like an exhibition not a game. Just fact that all the players are in the same union tells you all you need to know about how interested they will be in playing defense against each other except in special circumstances like the end of the game or maybe the playoffs or something.

Obviously to each his own, but my opinion is you are really missing out. I do agree on the length of the season though. But the players are just so good. Every basket SU scores in the half court is like pulling teeth; I expect the Knicks to come down and run a good set and get a bucket.

I'm not questioning the talent level. Clearly its as good as it ever has been. I lost interest when guys started going right from HS to the pros. It hurt the college game and upset me enough where I just tuned it out. When a team won an NBA championship back to me it seemed to mean more than it does today. I mean if you are a Celts fan did the title they won a couple of years ago mean as much as when Bird, Parish and McHale were winning them? I dont know. I love the passion and excitement of the college game. I love the students rushing the court. I love the pre-conference tournaments. I love the conference battles. I love championship week. I love the tournament. The NBA is just one long boring season that the switch flips come playoff time.

3. ND player driving into the lane and Jerami Grant stepping up to take a charge. The force of the hit was so hard, the ND player fumbled and nothing was called.
Bilas mentioned this one. He was dumbfounded. No foul? On anyone?

One of the reasons you need so many illegal screens is because its hard to separate when you are being bumped, held and slapped constantly. IF you clean up that stuff it will be easier for teams to run offense. One gives the defense an unfair advantage and one is kind of the offensive answer to that unfair advantage. They go hand in hand to me and both need to be cleaned up.
I think the moving screens are more a symptom allowing WAY too much contact and hand-checking on/off the ball - which we agree on. I think if you put more distance between the players and allow better freedom of movement then the scores will go way up.

I'm not questioning the talent level. Clearly its as good as it ever has been. I lost interest when guys started going right from HS to the pros. It hurt the college game and upset me enough where I just tuned it out. When a team won an NBA championship back to me it seemed to mean more than it does today. I mean if you are a Celts fan did the title they won a couple of years ago mean as much as when Bird, Parish and McHale were winning them? I dont know. I love the passion and excitement of the college game. I love the students rushing the court. I love the pre-conference tournaments. I love the conference battles. I love championship week. I love the tournament. The NBA is just one long boring season that the switch flips come playoff time.
I think people glorify the past. If the Knicks were to win a Championship this team would be immortalized. The NBA is very good right now. There's a reason its surpassed the "2nd place to football" deadlock with baseball and is securing 2nd place while baseball is falling down in the pecking order of American sports.

The NBA is so hard to watch because it's like an exhibition not a game. Just fact that all the players are in the same union tells you all you need to know about how interested they will be in playing defense against each other except in special circumstances like the end of the game or maybe the playoffs or something.

Actually the level of defense is extremely high in most competetive NBA games. Watch it froma strategy stand point because they cannot grab and push so they move their feet and on screens or doubles help defense is very important. In the NBA if you miss your help asignment you just gave up a layup or an open jumper to a guy who can make it. The over all level of the players is so high that it is much harder to play defense. Only a small percentage of players are not proficient enough in some aspect offensively to hurt you. Its very hard to completely leave a guy in the NBA and not get burned. On top of that there are players so talented offensively that no matter how well you defend they can score. NBA players understanding of help and scouting report defense is far superior to college guys.

Wouldn't allowing more moving screens aid the offense though? Thought you said you hate the low scores? I think the moving screens are more a symptom allowing WAY too much contact and hand-checking on/off the ball - which we agree on. I think if you put more distance between the players and allow better freedom of movement then the scores will go way up. Another problem is the loss of the midrange game along with its apparent effect on FT shooting. FT shooting these days is horrendous. CJ shows us first hand how effective a midrange game can be, yet for some reason its been abandoned in college ball. I'm guessing its because these are still kids, growing up, trying to find their place, make a name ... to them acrobatic drives/dunks & "raining treys" are what's 'sexy'. Nobody ever got on Sportscenter for hitting a smooth 13 footer from the elbow.

Yes, yes, and Yes. I can't remember ever agreeing with you more than this. No one feeds bigs anymore, except as a way for them to kick back out and take yet another three. Personally, I think that's the problem with the game. Too many kids just jacking up long shots (centers even do it now) with a resultant long board and reset the offense.

Eliminating the hand checking (or making Aaron Craft foul out in 2 minutes) seems like a good way to go. You can't put your hands on the guy. FOUL. period. As it is, guys get away with it because refs are thirty feet away and can't determine if a guy is lightly touching his opponent or pushing him around.

My girlfriend watches games with me and she often is surprised when she sees teams like OSU and Pitt and says that she "didn't think you can be so aggressive like that."

I couldn't believe it the other night when OSU played and they went on and on about how active Craft's hands were. Aren't we all taught as kids to play defense with your feet?

Very true and I got away from the NBA because of that. Imagine Jordan playing in todays game of no hand checking and bumping on the perimeter . . . . . . . . .

Would be almost as good as Lebron

The shot clock would help separate the better teams because it would lead to more posessions.

It seems to me that the NCAA has fallen in love with the upset since the NCAA tourney has become so huge and people like to see that. SO they have continually moved the game toward tilting the playing field to give the less talented teams a better chance of pulling the upset. The probelm is 95% of upsets are now ugly boring grinder games where the better team is at a disadvantage because of the way the call or more specifically do not call fouls.

There is something to this. Allowing teams with less athleticism to clutch and grab creates an environment where upsets are more likely to occur. During the regular season, these upsets provide publicity. In March, they create drama.

You guys who keep talking about the beautiful play of the NBA need to go look at that Ron Artest video posted the other day and tell me exactly how that is different than college ball. Metta (who was on offense) literally hugged his man, pushed him in towards the basket so that he could get any offensive board, and then took a swing underneath. Please.

And they may allow for guys to move about on the outside, but there are fouls underneath on every play. I watch Celts games occasionally, and Garnett has his hands on the guy he is defending pushing him before the ball even crosses halfcourt.

Ironically, I think the problem with the NBA is that the players just play too much basketball! It just looks like they're going the motions half the time. They concede way too many points, challenge so much less on defense, worry too much about injuries, and generally get far too comfortable using and playing against the same moves/strategies.

It's a characteristic of any/every complex system; run enough iterations and although the meta (patterns, strategies) will constantly change ... the entire system will tend to adhere to whatever is popular or effective at the time. It's like if the same 5 guys got together to play poker every day for years; strategies will constantly change amongst the players but over time they play so much and know each other so well that there is little emotion or surprise left in the game.

You guys who keep talking about the beautiful play of the NBA need to go look at that Ron Artest video posted the other day and tell me exactly how that is different than college ball. Metta (who was on offense) literally hugged his man, pushed him in towards the basket so that he could get any offensive board, and then took a swing underneath. Please.

And they may allow for guys to move about on the outside, but there are fouls underneath on every play. I watch Celts games occasionally, and Garnett has his hands on the guy he is defending pushing him before the ball even crosses halfcourt.

When guys don't have the ball especially on the blocks they let much more go but I would preffer they cleaned that up as well.

I'm personally getting to the point where if Syracuse isn't playing I can't stand watching college basketball . Seriously, I was channel surfing the other night and the most entertaining game by far was the Knicks game. I'm setting really sick of these 52 to 46 games. It used to be that only Pitt and Butler played that way. Now, apparently there is no such thing as fouling an opposing player if he's not in the act of shooting. And don't get me started on moving picks!! Wasn't that a point of emphasis just a couple years ago?? What the hell. They are ruining the best of all sports

I havent read any of the 4 pages of this thread yet... so I apologize if I am repeating someone else.

But Baye Keita performs an illegal moving pick every single time we do the high ball screen.