College lacrosse: Maryland places its seeding in peril (updated bracket projection) (PS) | Syracusefan.com

College lacrosse: Maryland places its seeding in peril (updated bracket projection) (PS)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
PROJECTED BRACKET
The composition of the field remains largely unchanged as a result of Thursday's 14 games. Only one of the seven conference tournament No. 1 seeds in action --- Fairfield in the Colonial --- fell, and that simply allows Towson's entry into the field. That changes the play-in games, but nothing else.

There's still a three-flight conundrum for the selection committee in this projection, and the matchups for the bottom three seeds have been shuffled as a result of Maryland's loss. But overall, things look pretty similar to the update from the beginning of the week.

Denver quarterfinal

(1) Notre Dame vs. COLONIAL/Towson-SOUTHERN/Richmond
(8) Maryland vs. AMERICA EAST/Albany

Denver quarterfinal

(4) BIG EAST/Denver vs. Yale
(5) Duke vs. BIG TEN/Johns Hopkins

Annapolis quarterfinal

(3) North Carolina vs. Georgetown
(6) Virginia vs. IVY/Brown

Annapolis quarterfinal

(2) ATLANTIC COAST/Syracuse vs. METRO ATLANTIC/Marist-NORTHEAST/Saint Joseph's
(7) Cornell vs. PATRIOT/Colgate

Last three in: Maryland, Yale, Georgetown
First three out: Ohio State, Princeton, Marquette

Moving in: Towson
Moving out: Fairfield

http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-ste...lege_lacrosse_maryland_plac.html#incart_river

As much as I would love to see the B1G on the road in the first round, I just don't see the Twerps losing a home game. Their SOS (Laxpower), even though #15, is still light-years ahead of Albany (#40). And in addition, besides Cornell, no one in the Ivies compares to MD in SOS, and to a lesser extent, RPI.

The last two spots could go in several directions, but I think MD and Cornell (not necessarily in that order) get them by default. I don't think you could make the case for anyone else, unless things break right for Brown. But Brown's fortune would be Cornell's misfortune.

The upshot is, I don't see MD missing out on a home game.

Edit: I also think it will be interesting to see what the committee does with SU-ND. We are virtually tied in RPI (ND fractions of a point ahead at #1), but ahead in SOS and the computer rankings (I know - who cares?). There is still that loss to ND in 2OT. It's a shame we didn't have a chance in the ACCT to avenge that loss. I really don't know and wouldn't be surprised to see either of them on the top line.

Last edited:
As much as I would love to see the B1G on the road in the first round, I just don't see the Twerps losing a home game. Their SOS (Laxpower), even though #15, is still light-years ahead of Albany (#40). And in addition, besides Cornell, no one in the Ivies compares to MD in SOS, and to a lesser extent, RPI.

The last two spots could go in several directions, but I think MD and Cornell (not necessarily in that order) get them by default. I don't think you could make the case for anyone else, unless things break right for Brown. But Brown's fortune would be Cornell's misfortune.

The upshot is, I don't see MD missing out on a home game.

Edit: I also think it will be interesting to see what the committee does with SU-ND. We are virtually tied in RPI (ND fractions of a point ahead at #1), but ahead in SOS and the computer rankings (I know - who cares?). There is still that loss to ND in 2OT. It's a shame we didn't have a chance in the ACCT to avenge that loss. I really don't know and wouldn't be surprised to see either of them on the top line.

if Syracuse beats Colgate tomorrow they will be the #1 seed. Colgate just beat Army for the Patriot league title and ND plays Army on Saturday so they wont get a big bump there. If SU can take care of business tomorrow I see no way they aren't the #1 seed. ND losing in the first round of the ACC tourney by that lopsided score doomed them.

The more interesting note I saw from the updated bracket is that Stevens now has the NEC winner in the play in game vs the potential 2 seed. This would of course mean Bryant if they were able to beat St. Joes and win the play in game.